What should I do?

PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

SnowKitty
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
So, here's the deal. I'm the lead guitarist in this power metal band I formed with my friend recently, who is the rhythm guitarist. His brother is our drummer. That's all we have, still trying to get a keyboard, bass and singer.

But I digress. The problem we're having currently is, quite frankly, our drummer is a moron. He's always been a little off in his playing, but we found it understandable because he didn't have much experience and was improving. Now, though, he just SUCKS. It's not that he CAN'T keep a beat, it's that he WON'T. He won't stop playing all these damn fills, and he refuses to slow it down, and then wonders why we're having trouble keeping in time when he, like, DOUBLES the tempo. Then, when he eventually realizes that he missed a beat or something, he stops playing the song, bangs on the drums a couple times, then goes into some annoying fill and I scream at him to stop for like five minutes so we can try again.

The worst part is, I'm sure these issues could be fixed eventually if we just practiced more, but no, we practice for like half an hour and he goes, "Let's go play Call of Duty!" and runs inside expecting us to follow. That's also his reaction whenever we try to talk to him about his playing.

Now, here's my issue. Should I kick him out, or is there some way to help him improve? We don't know any other drummers, and he's also the brother of a member, so that seems like it could get pretty ugly if he was kicked out. On the other hand, his playing, lack of attention, and overall attitude is a huge detriment to the band. I truly don't know what to do, and I'm hoping the UG community can give me some insight. Sorry for the wall-o-text, by the way.

GuideToGenocide
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
It's power metal, it's supposed to be fast.

Gakbez
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Get the brother to talk to him about it, alone

SilentHeaven109
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
It's power metal, it's supposed to be fast.

:facepalm:

On topic, if there's only three of you then I wouldn't say it's a real band yet, so it's maybe not as serious as if you were playing shows.

However, I know, as a drummer who enjoys playing power metal (badly :rolleyes: ), that it is very difficult and requires a lot of effort. The drummer needs to be perfect for a band to play well, so I would just make him buck his ideas up, make him practice. Tell him that playing such a technically demanding style will require effort that it seems he is not putting in at the moment, and it seems that a new drummer is in order if you want to get anywhere serious.

Jacob667
12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I had a similar problem with my rhythm guitarist, he never wanted 2 practice and anytime he plugged his guitar into an amp he just blasted off beat metal riffs at the highest volume possible on his 75 watt amp :/ but since he doesn't practice anyway we just play without him

SnowKitty
12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
:facepalm:

On topic, if there's only three of you then I wouldn't say it's a real band yet, so it's maybe not as serious as if you were playing shows.

However, I know, as a drummer who enjoys playing power metal (badly :rolleyes: ), that it is very difficult and requires a lot of effort. The drummer needs to be perfect for a band to play well, so I would just make him buck his ideas up, make him practice. Tell him that playing such a technically demanding style will require effort that it seems he is not putting in at the moment, and it seems that a new drummer is in order if you want to get anywhere serious.

Yeah, we're not that serious yet, but we (well, the rhythm guitarist and me, anyway) would love to have a full, active band some day. We've tried to accommodate the drummer's skill level in the songwriting, and he's assured me he can play all of the drum beats written for him. It feels as though the issue is not so much that the music is too hard, but that he just doesn't want to play the music at all. That's why I'm so frustrated.

Myshadow46_2
12-16-2009, 10:43 AM
So, here's the deal. I'm the lead guitarist in this power metal band I formed with my friend recently, who is the rhythm guitarist. His brother is our drummer. That's all we have, still trying to get a keyboard, bass and singer.

But I digress. The problem we're having currently is, quite frankly, our drummer is a moron. He's always been a little off in his playing, but we found it understandable because he didn't have much experience and was improving. Now, though, he just SUCKS. It's not that he CAN'T keep a beat, it's that he WON'T. He won't stop playing all these damn fills, and he refuses to slow it down, and then wonders why we're having trouble keeping in time when he, like, DOUBLES the tempo. Then, when he eventually realizes that he missed a beat or something, he stops playing the song, bangs on the drums a couple times, then goes into some annoying fill and I scream at him to stop for like five minutes so we can try again.

The worst part is, I'm sure these issues could be fixed eventually if we just practiced more, but no, we practice for like half an hour and he goes, "Let's go play Call of Duty!" and runs inside expecting us to follow. That's also his reaction whenever we try to talk to him about his playing.

Now, here's my issue. Should I kick him out, or is there some way to help him improve? We don't know any other drummers, and he's also the brother of a member, so that seems like it could get pretty ugly if he was kicked out. On the other hand, his playing, lack of attention, and overall attitude is a huge detriment to the band. I truly don't know what to do, and I'm hoping the UG community can give me some insight. Sorry for the wall-o-text, by the way.

He may be a moron, but at least he isn't an imbecile or (God help us) an idiot!

Anyway I digress. You want this jamming group to become a band, correct? The drummer doesn't seem willing to put the effort in to a band, he just seems to like jamming a little bit until you have a go at him. So, to grow into a band you'll need to find a drummer who is willing to put the effort in. It doesn't matter that you don't know any other drummers, that's what advertising is for.

There is no way you can help him improve if he doesn't want to improve. You say that things might get ugly if you kick him out, well ask yourself this. Do I want to risk things getting ugly for a short amount of time or do I want to continue jamming with a few people, one of which doesn't (and will not) meet my expectations, for a long period of time without any positive movement towards becoming a band?

I'd go for the short ugly time, find myself a new drummer, and form that band I wanted to be in.

soundgarden19
12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Make him focus, no video games during practice or your out. Be a hardass, every time he ****s up majorly, start the song over until you guys have it down.

SnowKitty
12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks to all of you. You've been very helpful. We decided to give him one more practice session, and if he doesn't shape up, we'll probably end up kicking him out.

isabiggles
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Keep him, he sounds cool.

You can get people to change but the way to do that sure ain't to scream and shout at him (you're probably jealous that he always beats you at Call of Duty). Just tell him that he really needs to focus more and stay tight. Don't fire him, drummers are tough to find in general and they're mostly good guys.

Kill the dragon and you'll know what to do.