Cloths on Stage

PDA

View Full Version : Cloths on Stage

ballsyguitar116
12-15-2009, 10:20 PM
At the last show we played our guitar player and bassist decided it would be cool to wear a nice shirt and a tie and black skinny jeans when we play. Now they want me and our drummer to wear them also. Is this really over done and wierd or is it a good idea?

catrolean
12-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Not overdone or weird. It kind of brings your band together. I don't think they should make you if you don't want to, but I definitely understand why they would do it.

scguitarking927
12-15-2009, 11:19 PM
It has been done quite alot though. But your call.

kazetuner
12-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Wouldn't it be a little dull if you're all dressed the same?

Natrone
12-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Meh. Dressing all the same doesn't let your individual personalities show. I always think it looks odd when a band dresses all the same. You're a band, not an athletic team. Bands are supposed to be a cohesive unit of individuals, each with their own quirks and personality traits, and part of who you are is what you wear.

GrisKy
12-16-2009, 12:50 AM
I am completely against clothing on stage, or in the audience for that matter.

what the world needs is more nudity.

Physcosick
12-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Unless your band members have tattoos and/or piercings, the entire band naked does basically the same amount for individualism and creativity as everyone dressing in business casual (or whatever you call a shirt and tie).

GrisKy
12-16-2009, 03:05 AM
ok, (1) how do you get more individual than being naked?

and (2) who gives a **** about individualism? let's see some tits!

ChemicalFire
12-16-2009, 04:28 AM
When I saw KsE they were all wearing the same tshirt, it was a KsE band tee which is meant to look like a white tux

SomeoneYouKnew
12-16-2009, 05:31 AM
ok, (1) how do you get more individual than being naked?Ya kinda lost me on that one, bro. If everyone else were naked, the one person wearing clothes would be more individual, yeah?

and (2) who gives a **** about individualism? let's see some tits!Okay. This is one bandwagon I wanna get on board. :)

ehlert99
12-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Never wear the same outfits.. hell even KISS worse different outfits despite being the same theme... if you decide to do a gimick you all need to decide not have one half want to dress like weird emo kids trying to look dressy then tell you that you should do it too... thats like the girl in my band wearing a dress and telling us to wear it too.. wouldnt feel right.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-16-2009, 06:42 AM
There's nothing inherently wrong with dressing alike. It all depends on YOUR band, YOUR attitude, and the image YOU wanna present. If the idea feels right, it almost certainly is. If it feels flat-out wrong, it probably is. If you're just a little unsure, try it. Most people shy away from things because they're afraid of what others might think. Trendsetters decide what they wanna do and the public quickly follows.

Is dressing alike a bad idea? The Knack wore matching outfits. So did Huey Lewis and the News, for a while. So did The Beatles. And we all know none of those bands ever developed a following. :p:

Whatever you do, never take the opinion of someone who completely neglects all punctuation (except ellipses), without careful scrutiny. If they can't be arsed to put in a few simple punctuation marks, the probablility they couldn't be arsed to think carefully about your question is high.
Never wear the same outfits.. hell even KISS worse different outfits despite being the same theme... if you decide to do a gimick you all need to decide not have one half want to dress like weird emo kids trying to look dressy then tell you that you should do it too... thats like the girl in my band wearing a dress and telling us to wear it too.. wouldnt feel right.

jp58
12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I've done it a time or two with plain white t shirts and jeans. I usually just wear whatever I was wearing the day of. No need to dress or act different for a rehearsal or show or whatever.

the humanity
12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
if it catches people's attention and makes them pay attention to your music, the answer yes. duh.

QuantumMechanix
12-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Why not dress similar, but not the same? Like if they wear a white dress shirt with a black tie, you wear a black dress shirt with no tie. I think the entire band dressing the same is a little too much, but at the same time, you want to look tied together.

dmiwshicldply
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I dont like the matching exactly idea. But there is a need to have the same overrall tone in the way everyone dresses. say the drummer wears a black shirt with the sleeves rolled up and no tie, the bassist could do suspenders with a red shirt and black tie. You see where im going, keep up a good solid marketable theme but keep a little individuality also.

Roxor_Mc0wnage
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
If I see another band come out wearing a button up shirt, vest and tie and skinny jeans I will...I will...probably still just be here typing angrily.

Go forth Lemmings. Go forth.

iwannabesedated
12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I've always thought bands should look similiar, but not the same. You have a "look" that people can recognize easily, but you dont' have some kind of stupid uniform.

isabiggles
12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Wear your pants (True English pants please) on your head.

ballsyguitar116
12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Why not dress similar, but not the same? Like if they wear a white dress shirt with a black tie, you wear a black dress shirt with no tie. I think the entire band dressing the same is a little too much, but at the same time, you want to look tied together.
ya thats what we were going to do. I would wear like a white shirt and black tie, the bassist would wear a black shirt and red tie, our other guitarist would wear a white shirt and gray jacket and our drummer would wear something dressy. i wouldnt want everyone to look the same

dmiwshicldply
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
ya thats what we were going to do. I would wear like a white shirt and black tie, the bassist would wear a black shirt and red tie, our other guitarist would wear a white shirt and gray jacket and our drummer would wear something dressy. i wouldnt want everyone to look the same

Then yes i think it should be fine, it gives you an identifiable image that you can also have some flexibility with. And while it may be overdone, most things are, so go for it if its what you want to do. If you start seeing signs of it not working, then change it.

GrisKy
12-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Ya kinda lost me on that one, bro. If everyone else were naked, the one person wearing clothes would be more individual, yeah?

what I'm getting at is that when naked, you are who you are, period. you can't be your neighbor, you can't be anyone else, and nudity makes it (perhaps painfully for some) obvious.

then again, this would be one of those threads where it's best to not take me too seriously... I was debating whether to go this route, or suggesting murder again :haha:

Physcosick
12-17-2009, 01:30 AM
what I'm getting at is that when naked, you are who you are, period. you can't be your neighbor, you can't be anyone else, and nudity makes it (perhaps painfully for some) obvious.

I think that's more "personal" than "individual"ism.

GrisKy
12-17-2009, 01:49 AM
whatever, did you bother to read the 2nd part?

Forkman
12-17-2009, 02:14 AM
I suppose some kind of matching element or style within the band would look good. The only band I can think of that all wear the same thing is The Hives.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-17-2009, 03:09 AM
what I'm getting at is that when naked, you are who you are, period. you can't be your neighbor, you can't be anyone else, and nudity makes it (perhaps painfully for some) obvious.Yeah, I can see that. Although I might be seeing more than I really wanna. :p:

The other side of the coin here is that clothes can be a visual expression of your inner personality. Your outer appearance when naked is pretty much fixed. It doesn't show your thoughts. Well, I suppose it could, just a little. :haha

then again, this would be one of those threads where it's best to not take me too seriously... I was debating whether to go this route, or suggesting murder again :haha:Nah, save the murder approach for when all else fails, I think.

isabiggles
12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm no expert on image but you don't ALL have to look the same. If anything that makes it all rather dull. Angel Witch used to look ridiculous on stage because they had a skinny guy who looked like a girl, a really fat guy and a hippie.

Just don't wear your school clothes, you are not ACDC.

Myke.
12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Where whatever is the most comfortable and play good music.
The effect of wearing the same clothes will wear off in like 5 minutes.

JesusIsAwesome
12-19-2009, 06:13 AM
The worst sin is pretending and if you all dress the same, you're posing. Dress on stage like you do offstage or you're presenting an image that isn't yours.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-19-2009, 07:08 AM
The worst sin is pretendingreading this just made mah hed asplode.

Zach Dunn
12-19-2009, 11:09 PM
The worst sin is pretending and if you all dress the same, you're posing. Dress on stage like you do offstage or you're presenting an image that isn't yours.

+1

Also what i normally wear is black skinnys with Either a smart polo or a band T(oh yeah im badass) lol

just wear whatever, noones there to judge how you dress, just how you play :)

dullsilver_mike
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow, a lot of discussion about posing, and not properly expressing your true individualism.

Do you all design your entire wardrobe from scratch? I don't think so. You're a walking billboard for pre-packaged images that you bought into.

Since that's already the case, why not just enjoy the fun that can come out of it and experiment with different things like all dressing the same. You're not going to be any more of a poser than you all already are.

On topic--it's all about the feel of the group. I agree with the earlier post about just using instinct: if it feels good, do it; if it feels wrong, don't; if you aren't sure, give it a try and see how it goes.

giiii
12-20-2009, 02:28 PM
What could be cool is if everyone dresses the same except for one member.

clayonfire
12-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I guess the way you dress should depend on what kind of music you play. If you play bubble-gum disney pop, you probably shouldn't dress in a lab coat coated with blood and a hockey mask. If you play extreme death metal, you probably shouldn't dress in bright pinks, yellows and sky blues. Really though, what you wear is up to you. If your band decides to wear similar (not the exact same) outfits, then so be it. That's your choice. It makes your band.

And I have played in bands where we all wear the exact same thing. These however were concert bands. White Button up long sleeve shirt, black dress pants, and (sometimes) a (bow) tie. The best idea is to represent the genre you're playing.

iwannabesedated
12-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I guess the way you dress should depend on what kind of music you play. If you play bubble-gum disney pop, you probably shouldn't dress in a lab coat coated with blood and a hockey mask. If you play extreme death metal, you probably shouldn't dress in bright pinks, yellows and sky blues. Really though, what you wear is up to you. If your band decides to wear similar (not the exact same) outfits, then so be it. That's your choice. It makes your band.

I don't know, I might wanna see a Death Metal band decked out in Hello Kitty. That would be pretty badass.

clayonfire
12-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't know, I might wanna see a Death Metal band decked out in Hello Kitty. That would be pretty badass.

It would be entertaining yes. I didn't say you should never do it, it would just be unexpected. Know your audience.

How would parents react if they saw the Jonas Brothers dressed like this?

http://blogs.sltrib.com/b2evolution/media/blogs/burger/20290172slipknot02.jpg

I'd feel a little disappointed seeing a band dressed as that playing bubble-gum pop.

ChrisMill5
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
We had a fantastic following with a very easy wardrobe. Even our fans dressed up when they came to our shows.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=317747449&albumID=334105&imageID=4324363

coco-loco
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I reckon you should do what you wanna do. It sounds like they are just forcing you to get dressed up that way...even if I like the sounds of their "outfit", lool, just do what you wanna do!

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 06:54 PM
being in uniform is cool. look at the beatles they did it. let them do whatever they want maybe they were afraid to tell you because u would shut them down