How does this sound for first practice?

PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound for first practice?

isabiggles
12-18-2009, 07:42 PM
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden
Trust - Megadeth

Those are the songs we've agreed to learn before our first practice. I'm fine with all of them and so is the bassist. The only worry is the drummer. Now this guy is a really good drummer but he's never played metal before and I don't want to push him with faster, more metal songs than he's really used to. I also want to be really tight for a first practice.

So what do you think? Any problems with them?

scguitarking927
12-18-2009, 07:47 PM
chances are you won't be super tight your first practice, that takes time.

Maybe do some judas priest, or some more metallica Enter sandman, and some of their easier songs.

Hell play some ac/dc or something until you have been playing with each other for a few practices and have gotten tighter, then try some Maiden

BlakeAlan
12-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, trust me, even if you guys know the songs like the back of your hand, it will still sound shitty at first. EXTREMELY shitty depending on your drummer and bass player and how well they follow eachother. I would suggest starting off with some old alice cooper or like the above post, enter sandman. Maybe even some blues stuff to get the melting going. It takes a lot of practice to get the jam aspect of it all going. Don't get discouraged. Good luck!

pinguinpanic
12-19-2009, 10:01 AM
My band started with something like that aswell. However I suggest changing Run to the hills to something else, it's hard for your drummer, atleast it was on our drummer. For Trust, the clean part in the middle is tricky, when I played it with my band we just scrapped that part. Other then that, just see if it works out, if it's to hard try something easier, just make sure you're having a good time, that's what a band is about.

It might sound a bit unorganized (shitty) at first, but if everybody is used to playing along with the CD it should work out.

purple666
12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
The worse thing u can do is tell the drummer hes doing it wrong or say thats not how it is on the CD. Give him a copy of the songs and let him work it out, chances are he's gonna find a way to play it. Thats if u plan to play it note for note as per recording or just jam it and find your own version.

isabiggles
12-19-2009, 10:58 AM
We changed Trust to Bombtrack by RATM.

My worry isn't that the drummer isn't good enough, it's that he won't be used to playing super fast and heavy so i'm going for easier ones. Technically he's superb... really good.

pitobodies
12-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, Metallica has really easy drums, a foetus could play them. Run To The Hills is a bit difficult because of the speed, and I'm not familiar with Trust. But if he really is a good drummer, then there shouldn't be a huge problem. Metal drumming is hard to be really good at, but fairly easy to be decent of competent at. None of those bands use blast beats or anything, so thats probably not too hard.

EDIT: RATM drums are easy. No worries there.