Question about drums in a band

PDA

View Full Version : Question about drums in a band

MetalheadforJC
12-20-2009, 02:06 AM
So at the moment my band has a almost everyone we need but a drummer. Almost everybody nags about us not having a drummer and because of this nobody wants to have practice. We don't know anybody that play's drums at the moment.
What should I tell them besides "We don't need a drummer" so we could actually do something as a band?

DiminishedFifth
12-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Say "I wrote a song, come hear it and bring your guitar" and then BAM. Band practice.

AwesomeDrummer
12-20-2009, 02:41 AM
So at the moment my band has a almost everyone we need but a drummer. Almost everybody nags about us not having a drummer and because of this nobody wants to have practice. We don't know anybody that play's drums at the moment.
What should I tell them besides "We don't need a drummer" so we could actually do something as a band?

are you saying the people that aren't in your band are nagging, or the people in your band are nagging?

MR. Goodcents
12-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Tell them to get over it. You can still write and play songs without drums. You have a bass player to keep time so they really don't have anything to complain about. Is it more fun with drums and a full band? ya. Is it absolutely necessary to play? no. Tell them that you should practice together now and learn the songs, so when you do find a drummer he's not coming into a band that has never even played together.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-20-2009, 03:50 AM
What should I tell them besides "We don't need a drummer" so we could actually do something as a band?Of course a drummer is an important element in a band. You'll definitely find it a lot more satisfying to find one soon.

But I have some doubts about anyone who is unwilling to do any work as a band until you have a drummer. They may be just making excuses. They might not be willing to invest the time even when you do get a drummer.

How long have you been looking for a drummer? They're not that rare, you know.

cheapr2keepr
12-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Sounds like your bandmates might be in it for the sake of "being in a band" rather than being in a band to make music.

Anyways, most of Digitech's multifx pedals have programmed drumbeats that you can start with. There are many others, too. Most amps have mp3 1/8" jacks for plugging in your favorite backing tracks/songs to jam with. And there are downloadable drum tracks available on the internet. Start with that. If you guys are beginners (bass, guitars) then it's much better to sort out your developing senses of rhythm and timing long before you finally convince a drummer to drag all of his crap over to the garage for a jam session.

If your bandmates are worried that they won't have true band "street cred" without the drummer for now, then they need to either get over it or they need to quit bragging to all of the chicks about their "sweet band". And I'm not trying to flame you... I've seen it/lived it.

Best of luck finding a drummer.

isabiggles
12-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Drummer's are so important TS.

I wouldn't practise a song without a drummer at the helm.

Highwaytohell
12-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Well you could at least start jamming with your friends and writing music with them
don't need a drummer for that

scguitarking927
12-20-2009, 01:13 PM
How long have you been looking for a drummer? They're not that rare, you know.

good ones are.

OP, have you ever thought of playing drums? It might be an easier solution if you truly can't find anyone

QuantumMechanix
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
good ones are.

OP, have you ever thought of playing drums? It might be an easier solution if you truly can't find anyone
yes they are. Ts, try going to some local shows and talking to people after, maybe you can find some connctions

stangconv
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
We had the same problem... no drummers. Now we have an awesome drummer. We call him Alesis.

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/AlesisSR-16Big.jpg

The Arsis
12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
If I were you I would buy a drum machine or use GP5's drums and program the drumming you like.