Playing a bass head through a guitar cab

PDA

View Full Version : Playing a bass head through a guitar cab

Victor Manuel
12-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Is it safe for either one? I like the bassy clean tones I can get through a bass combo, and I was wondering if it would be safe to run a bass head with a guitar cab. I plan on running this (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBXR1800H) head AB'ed with my bugera 6260, and looking at the back, it says the impedance is 4 ohms and 8 ohms, but there's only one output jack, does it automatically select the impedance?

dullsilver_mike
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
what's going into the bass head? A guitar or bass? You can certainly run a guitar into it, but don't do it with a bass.

xxunder-takerxx
12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
a bass will blow out guitar speakers with no problems. they just arent meant to handle those frequencies. it has nothing to do with ohms.

MalGanisWL
12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
it's not safe if you'r plugging a bass

Steve08
12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't buy that Behringer head either, they have a reputation for being bad. The bass amp will be fine if you use either guitar or bass, but if you're running a bass through it then the guitar cabinet will get blown speakers.

If for guitar you just want a bassy sound, just get a bass cabinet and a guitar head. That's what Josh Homme does.

Victor Manuel
12-20-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm playing a guitar through it. I can't afford another cab, the one I have ATM is a stero cab. I don't think behringer is that bad, besides, I only want it for cleans with my FX processor.

My question about the ohms is that looking at the manual, there is no switch selector, it just has an output jack labeled 4ohms and 8 ohms.

CLIFF_BURTON
12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I can understand playing a guitar >guitar head > bass cab, for the warmth. But guitar > bass head > guitar cab is going to suck the guitar tone out of the guitar.

UtBDan
12-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I can understand playing a guitar >guitar head > bass cab, for the warmth. But guitar > bass head > guitar cab is going to suck the guitar tone out of the guitar.

not necessarily, it's just going to provide a different tone.

but the moral to the original question asker is, bass cabs are the only type of cabs that should handle basses, as the extra support on the back prevents the speakers from virtual destruction.

A guitar going into a bass head into a guitar cab will work. It'll sound different (bassier. Go figure.) But it's not going to destroy anything unless you use too big of a bass head into too small of a guitar cab, or do the wrong ohmage, or other unrelated things.

Revelation
12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm playing a guitar through it. I can't afford another cab, the one I have ATM is a stero cab. I don't think behringer is that bad, besides, I only want it for cleans with my FX processor.

My question about the ohms is that looking at the manual, there is no switch selector, it just has an output jack labeled 4ohms and 8 ohms.

All solid state heads will automatically adjust for the correct impedance. With tube amps you have to have a specific amount of resistance(ohms) for the power tubes. With SS amps you have a range of impedances that are safe. You will get more power out of a SS amp at 4 ohms than 8 ohms too.

And btw. Behringer is that bad. Tone is subjective, but their failure rate is too high for me to recommend them.

dullsilver_mike
12-20-2009, 03:23 PM

Everything sounds fine but the behringer. I've owned a lot of their gear, some is hit, some is miss. THe bass amps are terrible. You can spend the same amount of money on something better used. Just check out craigslist. --you won't have to spend a lot of money on a high watt bass amp either with your intended use, so there's really no reason to rely on behringer at all.

I know usually a guitar amp is bad based on its overdrive, so wanting it only for cleans would fix that, but the cleans on the behringer bass amps are terrible: they are noisy and have horrible voicing. You're going to get nasty boxy sounds out of it, not the sweet bassy cleans you're looking for.

Victor Manuel
12-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into a different amp.

overdeath_13
10-06-2011, 12:59 AM
so guitar>bass head>guitar cab=okay and won't blow any speakers?hahah

askrere
10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Really? You opened the zombie thread to laugh at a correct statement?

CLOSEEEEE