Hmm, little advice please?

PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, little advice please?

sglover34479
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Alright well I've been playing guitar for about two years and I'm getting kinda good lol. I can improvise solos and write a bit, but I'm getting tired of jamming to backing tracks in my room, it's good for some loud fun on a night when I'm alone (every night :( ) So I'm thinking of starting up a band. This is southern NC so I'm not going to get anyone to play death metal like I want ideally. As I got thinking, I was trying to find a way to play something I enjoy and that might get decent reception, this being the area where old people listen to country and the kids to rap, all the metalheads don't know many bands that I like (and there are few meatlheads). So my thought, a metal band everyone knows, Metallica. I love them, and their music, and I'm sure at least a few others around here do. So here is my real question:

*SKIP TO HERE*
How cliche/practical is it to try starting up a Metallica cover band?

WD Punk
12-20-2009, 09:40 PM
dude
im in the same boat as you
im in northern sc and thats exactly what its like around here
everybody i knows listens to rap
and i love metallica im trying to start up a band w/ a few of my friends
and if you like playing metallica songs get some people to jam w/
i love metallica i saw them when they came to charlotte, i was in the second row by the way, but if its what you want to play then go for it
if anybody else thinks its stupid then **** them

sglover34479
12-20-2009, 09:42 PM
You in northern sc? Where at? I'm about 10 minutes from Mcoll if you know where it is.

WD Punk
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
i live in lancaster south carolina im an hour away from charlotte
i cant say i know where mcoll is but it sounds familiar

SilentHeaven109
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Realistically, if you're having trouble finding musicians who like metal at all, it will be difficult to find any who are devoted enough fans of Metallica to be willing to start a tribute band. I would suggest just try and find some people who like metal and start a band with them, you will get far more people responding to "Musicians Wanted for Metal Band" than "Musicians Wanted for Metallica Tribute."

Of course, if you find musicians who love Metallica as much as you seem to, go for it :D

sglover34479
12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Ah if you're an hour from Charlotte then you're probably about an hour an a half from me.

EDIT:^ That's true, I'm gonna start putting some ads around town and see how that goes.

WD Punk
12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
kool
ironically going to the samash in charlotte tomarrow
i have a jam band and i like your cover of killing in the name of
we have been covering that song this week

sglover34479
12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
:D thanks, that recording is really awful, I can do much better but thanks.

WD Punk
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
your welcome
we had been playing 94 hours forever and we started playing killing in the name of our singer wanted to sing all guteral and we were cracking up because he couldn't sing it right
haha

sglover34479
12-20-2009, 10:04 PM
:haha:

WD Punk
12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
but yea good luck with it man

sglover34479
12-20-2009, 10:14 PM
:cheers: :)

Zycho
12-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Oh yea, no one likes or plays metal where you live. I mean it's not like Between the Buried and Me are from North Carolina.

Black Star
12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh yea, no one likes or plays metal where you live. I mean it's not like Between the Buried and Me are from North Carolina.

That is entirely irrelevant. You could make that argument about any place on Earth.

"Oh, Iced Earth is from Florida, that means there must be a ton of thrash metal fans there!"

Too bad the vast majority of original bands around here play hardcore.

I'm sure somebody around your area is interested in playing metal. Check local music shops. Most have some kind of bulletin board or something. There's also craigslist.

eaton1012
12-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Keep looking for people then.