One hour set, and 2 months to do it in.

PDA

View Full Version : One hour set, and 2 months to do it in.

vulgarmachine
12-21-2009, 09:13 AM
As the thread title says, the band I'm in has been asked to do an hour set for a concert in february. Now, we've been together for one rehearsal (in fact the band was set up for the concert), and I'm thinking now, have we bitten off more than we can chew? What do I do? We can't cancel, and it's looking less and less likely that we'll have a full set!

stangconv
12-21-2009, 09:18 AM
PLay Keep on rocking in the free world, by Neil Young. You can sssstttttrrrrrreeeeetttttcccchhh it out!

imsimon
12-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Do you have to do original material? If not, do old songs that can be panned out with a simple chord progression and a solo war ;)

Axe Samurai
12-21-2009, 09:22 AM
I think you've still got a good chance to do that. 2 months is a decent period of time to learn songs. It just means you would probably have to up the amount of times your band practices and also make sure your learning the new stuff.

However if you are feeling it a bit tough learning new songs fully, why not extend other songs you do know?.

What my old band used to do was play Pink Floyd - Another Brick (part 2) and when it came to the solo i would play it, but after that we would just go back to the chord progression of the chorus and let the other guitarist improvise a solo for the next 1-2 mins.

It mightn't be too much time on paper, but if you do that on every song that could make up like an extra possible 15 minutes just from extending songs your band already knows.

USCENDONE BENE
12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
If your band members are good enough and committed enough id say much coul be achieved in two months of hard work

pepsi1187
12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
As the thread title says, the band I'm in has been asked to do an hour set for a concert in february. Now, we've been together for one rehearsal (in fact the band was set up for the concert), and I'm thinking now, have we bitten off more than we can chew? What do I do? We can't cancel, and it's looking less and less likely that we'll have a full set!

i think maybe you should wait to book shows until you guys have a full set list.. maybe at least 4-5 songs

Lurcher
12-21-2009, 09:27 AM
No bother. I auditioned for a band once and it was totally different material to what I usually play. We had to fill about an hour as support for a well-known act. Everything was great and they agreed to get me tapes or MP3s of the material within 2 days. When I asked when the gig was they said, next Thursday. No way, José!
An hour is only about 12-15 songs which is 3 a week. You can do it and wonder what to rehearse for the last week or so. If you get behind schedule, convert one song into a band introduction number. That takes up about ten minutes.

me_llamo_juan
12-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Do a 45 minute jam of Mike's Song by Phish, then do you've only got 15 minutes to fill.

doive
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
2 months is plenty of time to to put a set together provided you can get regular practice slots in.

Are you doing covers or originals or a mix?
If you're doing covers, work out exactly what you want to do (maybe prepare about 70-80mins of stuff) and make sure the whole band knows them before you get together at all. That will cut down your rehearsal time hugely. Beyond that it's just a question of keeping the band together on the songs, if that's ALL you have to work on in rehearsals you should be fine. Even at 1 a week for 3 hours or so you have 30 hrs to rehearse, you an always schedule extra last minute ones if it's not going so well.

Before you cancel entirely, why not ask for a a shorter set? If it gets to the end of jan and you have about 40 mins of good material just ask for a 30/40 miunute set instead. If it's a first gig they shouldn't complain.

EDIT: think about it this week - you have ~10 weeks between now and gig time, can you learn 6 minutes of material in a week? i should think so :D

the_hoodster
12-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Just jam for a while and learn a few songs

vulgarmachine
12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Well here's the set list (as agreed by the band and the organiser)
1. Journey - Don't stop believing
2. Black Sabbath – Paranoid
3. Rage Against The Machine – Killing in the name of
4. lamb of god – redneck
5. iron maiden - fear of the dark
6. metallica – enter sandman
7. devil driver- I could care less
8. Dimmu Borgir - Blessings upon the throne of tyranny
9 Slayer – Skeletons of Society
10. Slipknot – Surfacing
11. Cridle Of Filth – Gilded cunt
12. Trivium – pull harder on the string of your martyr
13. Sikth - Bland Street Bloom
14. Chimaira - Resurrection
15. five finger death punch – ashes

We're gonna have our work cut out.
We know Trivium, Rage and Dimmu so far... I hope we can get this together though.

stangconv
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Make sure your bandmates know that practice isnt for learning the songs. its for getting them tight. If everyone does their homework, and comes to practice prepared you should be able to get it down!

isabiggles
12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
2. Black Sabbath – Paranoid
3. Rage Against The Machine – Killing in the name of
4. lamb of god – redneck
5. iron maiden - fear of the dark
6. metallica – enter sandman
8. Dimmu Borgir - Blessings upon the throne of tyranny
9 Slayer – Skeletons of Society
10. Slipknot – Surfacing
12. Trivium – pull harder on the string of your martyr
14. Chimaira - Resurrection
15. five finger death punch – ashes

We're gonna have our work cut out.
We know Trivium, Rage and Dimmu so far... I hope we can get this together though.

I really hope you understand that these songs are in lots of different tunings? How many guitars do you have?

Axe Samurai
12-21-2009, 11:36 AM
You have 15 songs planned there, and a one hour set list.

So your basically assuming that each song is 4 minutes long, which is not the case for the most of them.

You could probably manage a 1 hour set from just 10 of those songs and by choosing just 10 means a lot less pressure on you and your band mates.

Meurglys3
12-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I really hope you understand that these songs are in lots of different tunings? How many guitars do you have?

He doesn't necessarily have to cover all the songs in the original key. Unless there's more than various transpositions of standard and drop D, he could get by with one or two guitars.

vulgarmachine
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
He doesn't necessarily have to cover all the songs in the original key. Unless there's more than various transpositions of standard and drop D, he could get by with one or two guitars.

That's our plan! I have a guitar in E and one in C (the singer/guitarist made me do it. Apparently it's "br00tal.") So it's all covered pretty much!

QuantumMechanix
12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Make sure your bandmates know that practice isnt for learning the songs. its for getting them tight. If everyone does their homework, and comes to practice prepared you should be able to get it down!
QFT.

If one of your bandmembers comes to pracice and asks for tabs or something
(this has happend to me) tell him to go home and learn it for himself. Make sure everyone learns the songs on their on time

imsimon
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
4. lamb of god – redneck
10. Slipknot – Surfacing

I am a fan of these.
Mostly SiKth though, you do know they play in Drop G (or something even more ridiculous) though?

SilentHeaven109
12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
As long as you have a lot of practice sessions within that time and everyone works at it 100%, you should be fine.

However, you are not making it easy for yourselves with that setlist. Your drummer had better be AMAZING, otherwise the COF, Dimmu, Lamb of God and Sikth songs will simply fail.

I would suggest changing your set to include more stuff similar to Journey/Sabbath, it will simply be much easier for you to get it tight as a band.

isabiggles
12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
That's our plan! I have a guitar in E and one in C (the singer/guitarist made me do it. Apparently it's "br00tal.") So it's all covered pretty much!

Honestly.. I don't think it'll work.

I mean you do realise how many different tuning there are in that list right?

vulgarmachine
12-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Honestly.. I don't think it'll work.

I mean you do realise how many different tuning there are in that list right?

Of course. But, I have quite a few guitars at my disposal. At least 2 that can easily be put down quite a bit.

Some of those bands have odd tunings (everything flattened), and if we don't bother retuning to those silly tunings we should get it without the audience noticing too much. Plus the audience is a bunch of school kids, and this is really going to be their first taste of live rock/metal.

@Silentheaven109 - Our drummer is a legend on double bass drumming, and he's pretty tasty at the other stuff en all. Heck, he can even play the guitar.

Zycho
12-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Pick a list of covers. Learn them on your own for the first month. Second month practice them together. Remember, you don't need an hours worth of music. The time between songs adds up especially if one of you can handle a crowd well.

SilentHeaven109
12-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Of course. But, I have quite a few guitars at my disposal. At least 2 that can easily be put down quite a bit.

Some of those bands have odd tunings (everything flattened), and if we don't bother retuning to those silly tunings we should get it without the audience noticing too much. Plus the audience is a bunch of school kids, and this is really going to be their first taste of live rock/metal.

@Silentheaven109 - Our drummer is a legend on double bass drumming, and he's pretty tasty at the other stuff en all. Heck, he can even play the guitar.

Aha, OK then, just make sure you practice a LOT before the gig, don't kid yourselves that you can wing it on the day, maybe the first few songs but there's really no way you will sound good playing Blessings or Redneck without serious work. Even if, individually you are all amazingly talented, playing together won't be quite so impressive if you aren't 100% tight.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tunings to be honest, as long as the song is recognisable it'll be fine. I would question the appropriateness of playing Dimmu and COF to school kids, however :confused:

ChrisMill5
01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Do a 45 minute jam of Mike's Song by Phish, then do you've only got 15 minutes to fill.

No no, do You Enjoy Myself! I've seen hour long renditions of that!

dst127
01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
i think maybe you should wait to book shows until you guys have a full set list.. maybe at least 4-5 songs

4-5 songs isn't a full set list. That will cover maybe 20 minutes.

What I would suggest is that you guys get together at least twice a week until the gig. Make absolutely sure that you guys have a new song ready for each practice.

On the final rehearsal go through your entire set list in order so that you guys will know what you are doing for the gig.

AlanHB
01-06-2010, 08:01 AM
This is too much if you do not practice 2-3 times a week, and all learn your own parts at songs. However it should be noted that for practiced cover band musicians it is not rare to learn around 40 songs within a similar time frame (sometimes shorter) upon forming a cover band.