The Official "My Band" Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Official "My Band" Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bill43
08-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Here you go... I'm getting tired of all the repetative "my band" questions... so heres a stickied thread for them.

Just a couple of simple rules... no spam and no BS.

:cheers:

charger356
08-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I've been having a hard time lately with my band. Here's the situation:

My band has been together about a year now and everything was peachy. I was the lead guitarist/vox. It was a standard four-piece band. Well, we've been playing at our church's dinners and stuff like that and the preacher approached us about having our own music service in the morning (He said that we needed stuff a little heavier to get some kids interested). Well, we all agreed to do it.

Well, this guy (let's say his name is "Herbie") comes in and starts "writing" stuff for us. He knows one little riff on guitar, so he put lyrics to that. THE SONG IS HORRIBLE!!! It is super-repetetive, slow, and boring. Anyways, now he considers himself the Lead VOX of the band, and the leader of our music service. Therefor, he doesn't even consider stuff that we wrote. He thinks that if he didn't write it, then we can't play it...

THIS is where it gets sticky: the control-freak "Herbie" fellow is actually my brother! So if I kick him out of the band, everyone will think that I was just jealous of him. He really gets on my nerves sometimes, but I guess that is what brothers are for. Anyways, WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

P.S. Thank you SO much for taking your time to read this!!!

ENADSIDOG
08-07-2004, 01:50 PM
tsk tsk tsk

*shakes finger*

dude theres three rules in a band

1. dont start a band with your girlfrind
2.dont start one with your best friend
3.no family

(there exeptions sometimes)

dude your brothere beena dick ego maniac simple

no offense but just tell him lay it down for him that its nit "his band"

do the ohter mebers get sick of him?

"if he dont like been told tell him hes out, cause its not goign ot be good for your bands progress if you guys rt having fun"

no one will think your jelous , your obviusly better

just explain hes a dick are you older?

(ignore my many typos)

Doolittle88
08-07-2004, 02:23 PM
i disagree with 2 and 3 - its not always bad........think malcolm and angus in AC/DC, dan and justin in the darkness...but the exception there is that these are good players......if your brother is one of these 3 chord trick people tell him to go away and come back when hes practiced and is serious about music.

rhcpcure2826
08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
hi, im looking to play guitar in my schools jazz band... i was wondering what music teachers generally expect from their musicians as a prerequisite or something. should i be learning more about reading music, or learning chords (even though i know chords with extensions fluently), or learning more scales, or being mobile around the neck with modes, can anyone whos had prior experience tell me this.

what i suck at is reading music; i was weened on tabs since i started a few years ago... i know how to read the notes but not RIGHT off the bat, and i certainly couldnt play a song right when i see sheet music because i suck at reading rhythms at the same time...

remember, please reply if youve had prior experience.

Nirtallica
08-08-2004, 02:05 AM
u should know all ur maj, min 7ths and 9ths and 13ths, plus a lot of slash chords and altered chords. yeh and u need to know how to read music and what mode to solo in. trust me its pretty hard stuff at first.

redwing_suck
08-08-2004, 02:08 AM
reading standard notation is a must.... my school's jazz band has a requirement for entering guitarists to be able to read notation. if they can only read tab and are an excellent guitarist, they're out, despite their skill. MUST KNOW NOTATION.

if you understand modes and chord extensions and resolution and secondary dominants (to a point i guess) then you're on your way. most kids enter a jazz band to learn about those things, however you're a step ahead of the game if you already know half the stuff.

be prepared for a lot.

red:cheers:

UndeadPaperclip
08-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Depends on your teacher, you definately have to know notation, but as to the chords and whatnot it all depends. Sadly my school Jazz band sucks, and the guitarist gets away with playing non distorted power chords, he just looks at the chord and powerchords it, whereas other bands you have to be good at reading notes and chords, so it all depends on your teacher, you might want to ask someone in the band about the current guitarist, but dont expect anything really advanced, pretty much if you can read notation you're in.

~Andrew :bounce:

nouse4aname125
08-08-2004, 05:05 AM
im joinin mine too! were doin the song from cowboy bebop this year for competition. yeah learn your chords fluently and also u need to be fluent in music notation. no tab in band

rhcpcure2826
08-08-2004, 08:39 AM
well... looks like the rest of my summer is learning to read music...
thanks for that help... didnt want to look like an idiot

Orange Juice
08-08-2004, 10:02 PM
how can i organize a bunch of lazy non caring stoned/drunk (depends on time of day) guys who cant even work together? examples:
when i try to show them something im working on, ill be dambed if the other guitar poser doesnt start playing some out of key badly played croop over me, our singer is obsessed with how much his life sucks and how people need to die. but theres is hope, my drummer,bassist,and i know that theres a problem but are not willing to kick anyone. any ideas?

UndeadPaperclip
08-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Orange Juice
how can i organize a bunch of lazy non caring stoned/drunk (depends on time of day) guys who cant even work together? examples:
when i try to show them something im working on, ill be dambed if the other guitar poser doesnt start playing some out of key badly played croop over me, our singer is obsessed with how much his life sucks and how people need to die. but theres is hope, my drummer,bassist,and i know that theres a problem but are not willing to kick anyone. any ideas?

quit

~Andrew :bounce:

UG's_Pagan
08-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by rhcpcure2826
hi, im looking to play guitar in my schools jazz band... i was wondering what music teachers generally expect from their musicians as a prerequisite or something. should i be learning more about reading music, or learning chords (even though i know chords with extensions fluently), or learning more scales, or being mobile around the neck with modes, can anyone whos had prior experience tell me this.

what i suck at is reading music; i was weened on tabs since i started a few years ago... i know the notes but not RIGHT off the bat, and i certainly couldnt play a song right when i see sheet music because i suck at reading rhythms at the same time...

remember, please reply if youve had prior experience.

I played in a jazz band at my school for a while.

LEARN ALL YOUR CHORDS ALL OVER THE NECK

There rarely was a guitar melody (Longer than 3 or 4 notes) just chords in a choppy rhythm.

I'd suggest before every song, you find the melodies (And pick a place on the neck you like playing) then find all the chords in the song, and find a way to play that chord there, and then tab out the melodies.

If you can't play any chord (Including dim or aug 13'ths) at basically any place on the neck, you're gonna be ****ed.

gryftorsguitar
08-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Orange Juice

dont kick anybody, just take the bassist and the drummer and quit. it should be fine.

BrianApocalypse
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah man, power trios are the way to go.

I'd sure like to have a decent rhythm section.

Les Paul Legend
08-13-2004, 06:12 PM
should we kick our bassist out of our band because he has no bass he learned how to play it and is o.k. but when we are learning songs he has to spend time in practise learning the songs and slows us down so should we kick him out?!? p.s. he uses a bass our drummer owns.

imLoUsY
08-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Yes. Definitely.. Unless youre just gonna mess around during jam sessions.

Epi_47
08-14-2004, 06:13 PM
I am also joining my school's jazz band this year. I can read standard notation pretty fluently in the first few positions, but will I need to be able to read music for the entire neck?

TWP_89
08-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Well we have pretty much figured out what to do,
We started a thing about 3 months ago at our church where we would just play aorund and try to play some songs. In the beginning I had no idea how to play guitar. Anyone who wanted to come could come. In the beginning there was 4 guitars a bass and no drummer. So me and the bass player asked one of out buddies to learn drums. So he learned how and as time progressed he and I learned to play. Well there was a camp comeing up and we were asked to play at it. So we all played.

Here's where is gets bad. I could play all the songs well but the other two guitarists kinda sucked(one guy quit). So we played the camp and sounded alright. One guy out of the other two had a crappy acoustic but no amp and the other guy barrowed an acoustic. But they atill play bad.

SO me and the bassist and the drummer are gonna start playing @ the drummers house and work on our own.

Not really a HELP ME story but it might be entertaining or comment?

nirvana138
08-16-2004, 01:54 AM
hey i just getting into this stuff and wunderin if any1 culd give me sum tips on like getting ur band going once u first start out, i got a drummer and i do guitar and vocals and i have a bassist who is one lazy idiot, any advice apreciated:)

Left_behind
08-16-2004, 02:06 AM
Ha ha
typical bass player

shredbeyndshred
08-16-2004, 02:16 AM
make sure drummer can keep timing and have at some cover songs

alaska_bass_kid
08-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Left_behind
Ha ha
typical bass player

hahaha. hilarious......not :peace:

ColapseTheStage
08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
I dunno, you're gonna need to

1) learn how to play with eachother, so learn some covers together

2)start writing origonals

3) by some good equipment

Punkarse
08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Play together. A lot. Don't just make sure your drummer can keep time, make sure your guitarists can too, and that you can, because the crowd might not notice a couple of bum notes. They WILL notice if you play out of time.

Gutch220
08-16-2004, 04:58 PM
the most important thing is that you practice TOGETHER as much as possible so you can gel as a group. practicing by yourself is good when it comes to practicing technique but when learning songs its good to be with th band. bounce ideas off eachother and get good together. don't even think about playing out somewhere unless you guys are really tight as a band. you can NEVER "gel" together too much, its the most important thing in any band no matter what kind of music you play.

rhcpcure2826
08-16-2004, 05:07 PM
make sure you can function well, otherwise admit to yourselves that theres a lack of chemistry or somethings not right.

with my first band, our writing=****. with my new band, we wrote and recorded three songs in our first three days. theres a huge difference.

so you should know when youre progressing or not, and call it quits in the unfortunate event that the latter occurs.

dirtguitar
08-17-2004, 11:07 AM
hi, my names mike. i am a guitarist in a band. but with my band we are having alot of trouble with two guitarest. which ever one of us is not playing rythm doesnt really know what to do. we cant solo the whole time, because it would sound like crap. and its boring to just play the same thing.

any suggestions? thanks, mike

Ravedge
08-17-2004, 11:14 AM
i dont see the problem... what if both play rythm and sometimes you could do a fill?

saddam
08-17-2004, 11:38 AM
if your with two guitarists, and you're both playin the same thing, you should dump one (probably the worst one), believe me, we have the same problem, and we are gonna dump the other guitarist too!

grtz

Doneanddusted
08-17-2004, 12:10 PM
if its boring playing the same thing over and over again change the riff in the song and try some new things. dont just play the same things over and over again. im a rythem guitarist and if i get bored i just throw in an odd variation in the riff or some thing like that. try new things.

SilentDeftone
08-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Have the 2nd play a chord that adds harmony to the first chord. Have him do fills and that sort of stuff.

You might want to try listening to The Jester Race by In Flames. There are some good uses of double guitarists on that album IMO.

Doneanddusted
08-17-2004, 12:20 PM
you and the bassist do a few practices without the drummer and get used to playing in time. pick simple songs to cover at the start. and always always get some decent equipment.

Gutch220
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
start off with easier cover songs so you guys can get used to playing together. it sounds like you guys are trying too much too soon and getting frustrated.

dirtguitar
08-17-2004, 05:07 PM
these are all good suggestions, except the one about dumping the other guitarist. but alot of them we have tried and failed. we did covers for a while, which went well, but now we are trying originals, mainly because my singer refuses to sing covers.

we made some good progress today. another problem is my band has a serious addiction to ghetto N64 games.

Mad_BOB
08-17-2004, 05:51 PM
either have one guitarist play a riff while the other plays chords, or have them play the same riff but in harmony...adds to the sound, and makes you sound much more professional. hell, if theyre good enough you can do the solos in harmony, makes you sound really creative and can really add to the energy and emotion of the song

Riffmast
08-17-2004, 09:10 PM
just play the same thing if it's a cover. If it's an oeiginal have the second guitarist make a variation.

premiumgas
08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
i am not new to guitar or playin music but i cant seem to find ppl who i think would fit the band i want. i mean theres ppl who would work but gettin together and taking it serious would be hard do u think i should just become and amazing guitarist liek jimi or form a band

giveitaname87
08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Look in columns for articles about froming a band. There's a few good ones.

reed
08-18-2004, 05:52 PM
...what? I didn't quite follow. But anyway, being in a band is a lot funner. I'm guessing that's what you asked.

If you can make it work out, do it. Even Jimi had a band.

premiumgas
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
alright yeah but i mean ive got some really good muscians in school but they both play different music and i got lots of sports to deal with

kidwizz88
08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
i know what u mean man, where ya from by the way?

Brink Hyren
08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Don't force musicians to play forms of music that they don't wanna play. The product will be unemotional and chaotic.

dougiecrystals
08-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Brink Hyren
Don't force musicians to play forms of music that they don't wanna play. The product will be unemotional and chaotic.

premiumgas
08-18-2004, 06:30 PM
i live in mn

yeah c cuz im kinda in the middle ones most punk and ones classic and heavy metal i like classic

Gutch220
08-19-2004, 02:11 PM
just jam out with your friends untill you guys grow as a band. you can't just throw 4 guys together and expect alot the first practice

premiumgas
08-19-2004, 08:15 PM
o i no i wouldnt actulley form the band right away in school i would like u said kinda just jam yeah i no m tryni to think if they would do that

playsforpennies
08-19-2004, 08:38 PM
my problem is that no one ever can practice. that, and at our school, there is about 100 guitarists, and nothing of anything else (I'm a guitarist).

premiumgas
08-19-2004, 08:54 PM
yeah that always is difficult well u could have 3 guitars and find a drummer or 2 and drummer

music-my life
08-19-2004, 08:57 PM
hey my bands true talent that shines lies in the guitar playing, drums, and then in the chemistry of the band and how sertain things are played that sound like they were ment to be. I play the guitar and sing but my singing isn't stunning or anything just a bit above average but my lyrics deffinatley stand out. certain songs we want to be heavy but we all agree that the instruments and the lyrics alone make it heavy, And that it doesn't need screaming vocals. Do you think that it is possable or just in our heads? serious answer please

patrickmclaren
08-20-2004, 02:14 AM
bands are hard to get started.

im still in skool and every friday we have our practice, but i have done all of the organising and no one else has done anything.

Today which is friday here in Aus we were ment to have our prac and we have been together for about 30 weeks and we still sound crap.

patrickmclaren
08-20-2004, 02:23 AM

im still in skool and every friday we have our practice, but i have done all of the organising and no one else has done anything.

Today which is friday here in Aus we were ment to have our prac and we have been together for about 30 weeks and we still sound crap.

AuthenticBass
08-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Hey, well, comming up in November is gonna be my bands 1 Year Aniversery, I guess you could call it. We have come along way since out first practice, and get along fine as members. Even though we dont practice alot, we have a decent amount of songs and do some covers. Anyway, becuase we have been together for one year, I think we should celebrate!! :lurk:

Should we plan somethin, like a show or w/e. I dont care. I dont know what to do, what would you guys suggest to celebrate this event?

masterbasser89
08-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by music-my life
hey my bands true talent that shines lies in the guitar playing, drums, and then in the chemistry of the band and how sertain things are played that sound like they were ment to be. I play the guitar and sing but my singing isn't stunning or anything just a bit above average but my lyrics deffinatley stand out. certain songs we want to be heavy but we all agree that the instruments and the lyrics alone make it heavy, And that it doesn't need screaming vocals. Do you think that it is possable or just in our heads? serious answer please

totally possible im sure you are probabley right im not a great singer neither is the guitar player of my band but we both do it anyways, screaming isnt needed at all:cheers:

dirtguitar
08-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by patrickmclaren

wow sounds like my band. but we just broke up today. the only problem was the other guitarest. but its ok I wanted to break up with them so I could start my metal band and get on with my rock band. I dont really look at it as breaking up more like kicking the other guitarest out and finding a new bassist that lives closer.

my suggestion to you: practice with each member of the band individually to find out what/who the problem is. find out who isnt practicing or whatever. then if stuff still doesnt work out....leave and take say the drummer with you and start over.

rspirate
08-24-2004, 11:28 AM
okay, well me and two of my friends started a band just for fun. my friend whose lead guitar has played for 1 year, me 2nd guitar have played for like 4 months, and our drummer has played for like 2 years (for the school band). anyways, the lead guitarist has always kinda lead our band but he is being retarded now and im not sure what to do.
first, he keeps telling me that im not gonna play 2nd guitar and that i need to play bass cause we need a bass (we haven't met much, only like 5 times with all of us). i keep telling him that im not switching to a new instrument now and then he just is stubborn and says "well if you dont well never get one and if theres no bass theres no band". i told him "there never was a band cameron, were just 2 guitarists and a drummer jamming for fun" but he claims that my twin brother wants to play 2nd guitar and i bass, even though my twin brother doesn't play guitar and he wants to play keyboard for us. he just wont stop doing this, he insists i play bass and he gets so frustrated because he doesn't organize our meetings well so when we meet we get close to nothing done.

anyways, ive thought about me and john (drummer) leaving cameron and joining another friend of mine (hes played for like as long as cameron but like all he does is play guitar all day so hes probably really good, idk) but he says he doesn't want to make a band for another year or so untill hes good enough to serioiusly play in a band. i think i can convince him to just make a "band" for fun and just jam and stuff for a while untill were all good enough to take it seriously, but he might not want me as 2nd guitar he might want yet another friend of mine and his on 2nd guitar cause theyve been friends longer and hes probably better than me. so i thought id just hang in with cameron and try to get as good as i can, but then cameron said to me on aim that if i wasn't switching to bass he was going to make a side band so i told him if he did that me and john and johns friend whos moving to duluth and learning bass will leave and find another lead guitarist.

okay, i know thats a long read but can u give me any advice? i know im not good enough to actually be serious about being in a band, i just want some fun but its not fun dealing with cameron. o yea, by the way, the reason cameron didn't want johns friend on bass is that he doesn't go to our school so we couldn't play in the talent show, which is camerons dream for our band cause we know well never perform anywhere else for at least like 2-4 more years.

here i go blabing on again, sry, just thought that was important to explain. anyways, what do u thinki should do? organize more meetings with me and cameron and john and hang in there? take charge and if cameron doesn't like it kick him out? or just leave and dont be in a band for a year or so? (last option i really dont like cause i think its more fun to play guitar if u got someone to play with)

o yea, johns on my side, says hell do what i want, he doesn't care about cameron cause hes not really friends with cameron and agrees with me that camerons is being stupid and stubborn.

o, sry Bill 43 bout not posting this in here the first time, i thought this was like for just advertising ur band and stuff, not about asking advice.

bass_maiden
08-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Don't switch to a new instrument unless you really want to. You'll end up hating it. And if he's desperate for a bassist, he should learn. He can't just tell you what to do, if you wana play guitar you play guitar!

Or demand that if you switch to bass, you want an 8 minute bass solo :p: that'll make him change his tune! Or become an amazing bassist and and play lead bass... that'd probably piss him off even more :D And you'd be in demand cos us bassists are a dying breed! Then you could dump Cameron for a new band anyway!

If you've got a bassist coming in from somewhere, wait till he gets here and have a jam with him and the drummer. If you get on, and you like him, tell Cameron where to go. Like you said, you started the band for fun, and you probably won't enjoy having to play an instrument you don't wana play. So then the bands not fun, so then there's no point...

rspirate
08-24-2004, 05:45 PM
thanks for the advice brass_maiden, the main reason he wants ME specificly to play bass is when i first decided to learn guitar i bought a bass AND a guitar because i wanted to try both. i never got any good at the bass (didn't even learn how to use fingers,lol) and i loved playing guitar so i kept at that, but since i own a bass cameron says that i should play bass. when i ask him y he cant, he says "cause i already have a really good guitar".

funny thing is, i gave him that guitar. my aunt and grandma came by and dropped it off one day, befor i learned guitar, and i had no interest in it and cameron wanted it so i gave it to him cause my dad said it was ****ty and old. it was a 40 year old holiday electric guitar. now im mad that i did that cause now i wish i had that guitar, and even madder that he uses that for a reason to say that i should play bass. im gonna try getting better at bass but im not giving in to cameron just cause he wants me to switch.

Eric_911
08-24-2004, 07:36 PM
My bands named element zero we used to be called "something simple"

dirtguitar
08-25-2004, 04:21 PM
hey the doors didnt have a bassist and the are a great band. sure they recorded with one. but they never had one in the band. but make sure you keep it about fun. if you dont want to play bass then dont play bass play guitar. besides it would be easier for your twin brother to learn bass then to learn rythm guitar.

mrbeanconqueror
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I need to ask you a question.
I am planning to sack my drummer because of these reasons:
1) He always wants to take too much power in the band.
2) He drums too loud.
3) He sold my band out by taking our idea and doing it with another band.
4) He is irritating
However, he is the only drummer I can find. Should I sack him? Moreover, he is the most experienced person I can find in the band. The rest of us have not performed in a band before and this is our first try.

Punkarse
08-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Tell him to **** off. If he sold out your band then the w<e>anker should be shot.
There aren't as many drummers as guitarists(at least, not where I come from) but there MUST be a drummer with more loyalty...somewhere.

dirtguitar
08-28-2004, 02:38 PM
do what im doing. if you cant find a drummer make one. I have a friend who has played guitar for 7 years but is interested in drums. so I said we will let you use our set if you play with our band , plus he fits in real well so it all works out.

rspirate
08-29-2004, 08:59 PM
yea, thats a good idea dirtguitar. thats what my band should do for a bassist, or at least what i think we should do. only problem with it is that ur gonna have to bear with him (or her:)) while he/she is learning.

Brink Hyren
08-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Alright, my friend wants to write songs with me, but he knows nothing of theory, so he just plays random chords and plays parts from other artists' songs. I don't wanna be an ass and just kick him to the curb, so what do you guys suggest I do?

fleaflicker182
08-30-2004, 12:36 AM
How do people feel about starting a band without a drummer, and playing without one until you find one (this includes gigging/recording)

dirtguitar
08-30-2004, 06:56 PM
to the post before the last about writing songs. just tell them that you want 'original' songs and he can play chords like in a rythm. and tell him he has to make it into a melody it cant just be random. you need to teach him.

Charlatan_001
09-04-2004, 02:15 AM
I have a few dilemmas with my band... bear with me:

Our band has been only half-serious during the time we've been playing together, mainly due to timetable conflicts.
Now we have a drummer, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bassist (me), and a vocalist.. standard rock quintet.

1) But our rhythm guitarist is somewhat dysfunctional and religiously plays a certain type of music (Swedish melo-death specifically) which requires a dropped tuning. He rarely tunes out of it, and leaves his nicer guitar (A Jackson Kelly Pro) in that tuning. We've told him several times to stick with the plan, and he complies only for a period of time.. then goes back to playing by himself in standard tuning!!
We've thought of kicking him out, but then he's one of our good friends... then again he hardly ever contacts us about band practices and whatnot so he's not really in the loop. What should we do?

2) Our vocalist can't write very good lyrics, and wants to play rhythm guitar but only because he believes that our rhythm guitarist in (1) is out of the question... I also feel that he's trying to take control over the band by re-naming our songs and re-writing lyrics. We asked him to join us only b/c we needed a decent vocalist (decent being the key word) and he's acting like he's the leader. What can we do to set him straight?

dirtguitar
09-04-2004, 03:22 PM
that sounds all too familier

1)maybe this guy isnt to serious. and if he isnt into the same thing as the rest of the band, everytime you practice with him its a waste of time. (Ive been through that before)

2) ok tell the vocalist to sing! and if he wants to mess everything up, he can leave. and if you kick your rythm guitar out, put him on rythm, only if he can sing and play. and go from there.

Vicious Sid
09-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Alrighty, in our band we've got rhythm guitar (me), vocals, lead guitar (we shall call him Dave), keyboard, bass, and drummer. Pretty standard. Well, me and Dave have had some problems. Our former bassist is my best friend (I know, I know, but he was the only bassist we could find at the time). Dave doesn't like him, so he consults with the keyboardist and our sound guy (I honestly didn't even know we had a sound guy at that time) and they decide to kick him out. They didn't talk to me or the drummer, because they already had three votes their way, so what we said couldn't have changed anything. It wasn't a big deal at the time, me and the (former) bassist are still friends, and to be honest, he really wasn't that great. So I wasn't that upset, just a little irked that he didn't even bother to get my opinion first.

Next, he decides that he can't play guitar and sing at the same time, so he brings in his best friend to sing without consulting anybody at all. I wouldn't have minded this time either, except I personally can't stand the guy. He obnoxious, condescending, and believes himself to be the most talented guy in the band. I started getting pissed about this time.

Now, the worst of it. Dave has recently contracted 'Shredder's Syndrome'. I know he cares about the band as a whole, but he concentrates on soloing far too much. He's a good guitarist, but nowhere near good enough to hold up a band by himself. But I really didn't mind that too much; I thought, 'Hey, I get to do all the riffs and stuff, so it's cool as long as I just get to play something good'. Well, then it comes down to musical tastes. I love a lot of different genres but, to quote my drummer, Dave is turning the band into P.O.D.. He's mainly into Christian nu-metal, like Alter Bridge, Pillar, and, of course, P.O.D. Now, I'm a Christian myself, but I will not play a Creed cover for the school talent show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking to be the next Radiohead or anything; I'm fine playing a lot of different music. Like I said, I'm into a lot of different styles, but I will not sell myself out like that. If I don't like what I'm playing, then music loses all its fun, not to mention I'd lose all self-expression.

I'm sure you're thinking, 'Well, just quit f<e>ucktard.' Keep in mind, though, I live in rural Alabama and probably won't find another decent band until after high school. Dave's a great musician, despite his musical tastes, and I might be able to sway him a bit. Me and the drummer have the same views, and our keyboardist listens to a lot of '70s punk and also dislikes nu-metal, but they're both really close friends with Dave, and are going to side with him over me. I'm also good friends with all these guys, although not quite as close as they are, so I don't want to mess up the band by quitting, because I know it'll be hard to find a good guitarist who wants to play with a bunch of sophomores in their first band. Plus, Dave's intentions are good, he just wants to do what's best for the band, but he sometimes favors showing off over true musicianship, and that's where the problem lies. He prefers letting people enjoy his music, rather than trying something new and different, and that can be pretty damaging to a band. So, any advice would help.

Yeah, I know that was really long, but thanks for reading it :).

Metal Army
09-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Do you think its better for a band to have just one musical genious writing songs or should it be a team effort?

My current band right now has only the lead guitarist writing songs for it. I would help him do it, but im moving away anyways.....and its frustrating when you have to give up songs because they were written by a former member. So i think its better if only he writes them in this case.

AuthenticBass
09-05-2004, 12:06 AM
team effort...

you are in a band which requires all of you to be on stage or performing or playin... so everyone must contribute

redwing_suck
09-05-2004, 12:08 AM
hmmmm.... well personally, i disagree.... in my band, we really only had one person writing the songs (lyrics, progression, etc.), and it turned out that i began to not like some of the material.... being that we are a classic rock and blues band, i took it upon myself to revive this classic rock "feel" in our music and wrote some of my own stuff..... and it turned out well because everything anybody puts out is very true to our sound.

one downside to our band is that i'm the only one who goes deep deep into musical theory and employs that knowledge into my writings.... granted, we are all considered "musical geniouses" because really we're the only ones in our school who knows the traits of a major key 12-bar blues song.....

red:cheers:

ReportAsPhuck
09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
In a perfect world, everyone in the band would write/contribute equally, but that's usually not possible. Personally, I'd say that whoever writes the best material (be it one person, or the whole band) should be the main writer...

AuthenticBass
09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
well.. everyone brings their own style into the band and that should show somewhere

Metal Army
09-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Yes, but some people are just plain bad at songwriting.

I wrote all the songs for a band I used to be in, and all the other members were pissed off about it because they saw it as a "dictatorship". Even though they made no effort whatsoever to write good music for themselves.

hendrixfan
09-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I think whoever does it the best should do it. One man could write the music, Mark Tremonti of Creed/Alter Bridge, you could have a 2 man team like Metallica with Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich. Or the whole band could write like in the Red Hot Chili Peppers where each member writes their own part. It's just whatever works in your particular situation. There's no set way the it has to be.

AuthenticBass
09-05-2004, 12:13 AM
but thats differnt cause they didnt do anything... and see.. you used to be in it.. it wasnt a team effort ( or w.e) and everyone needs a say.. like even if you dont use it, make usre they have a say in the band decisions

Metal Army
09-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by hendrixfan
I think whoever does it the best should do it. One man could write the music, like Kirk Hammett of Metallica or Mark Tremonti of Creed/ALter Bridge do. Or the whole band could write like in the Red Hot Chili Peppers where each member writes their own part.

I thought Lars and James did most of Metallica's stuff.....

hendrixfan
09-05-2004, 12:16 AM
James does lyrics but not the actual music and I meant to put Lars in there to that's my bad, sorry i'll fix it.

UnicornRulez
09-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Try doing it as a team effort, It works in our band.

MonkeyAteMySoul
09-05-2004, 04:25 AM
james does do the music, kirk makes all of his own solo's, and has made a few of the riffs but james makes pretty much all te rythm parts

YouKnowYourRite
09-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Well it depends, look at Dave Mustaine...He wrote all the material for about 6 studio albums and the band grew and grew, then he let the others write and it all fell apart.

NAME GOES HERE
09-05-2004, 09:21 AM
In my 'band', each member writes their own parts. I write the guitar, the drummer comes up with the drums, the bassist does the bass part and the singer writes the lyrics. It's worked out fine this way.

StratRat9
09-05-2004, 01:34 PM
In an ideal band they would, but in reality some good players arent very good at writing songs so you have to make due

Paroxysm
09-05-2004, 02:28 PM
I think the lead singer should have the control over lyrics since he's the one who's going to sing it anyway. The band could help out with the lyrics if he's stuck. Everyone else do their own parts as long it sticks with the theme of the band.

xwf
09-06-2004, 04:16 AM
in my band, the guitar player just comes up with about a million riffs and song ideas and then brings them to me, i'm the drummer. we jam on them, tweak things like riffs, solos, beats, fills, etc. until we have a solid song laid out. then we usualy end up writing the lyrics and give them to the singer. He tweaks them, or tells us how he thinks things should sound, we work everything out, and in the end have a kickass song.

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2004, 04:40 AM
My guitarist can only write riffs, my bassist can only write lyricsw. I can write both, so we get a reasonable blend...

music-my life
09-10-2004, 05:47 PM
me and my band feel like our music shows a different side of us does any know where we could buy sertains paints or make up that wouldn't run into our eyes when we sweat, also if they know of any thing that wwe could where as fake skin to redisign our face thx

harm0n20
09-10-2004, 05:53 PM
hmmm sounds like another slipknot marilyn manson weird kinda gothic ****

drlazmeister
09-10-2004, 05:55 PM
try waterproof makeup mate... may sound obvious but you can just buy it in most shops

aRCh DaNDy
09-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by harm0n20
hmmm sounds like another slipknot marilyn manson weird kinda gothic ****

Says the Blink 182 fan...he asked a question, not what you thought of it. Don't be a dick.
Yeah like the other dude said, waterproof stuff should work.

NAME GOES HERE
09-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by harm0n20
hmmm sounds like another slipknot marilyn manson weird kinda gothic **** Slipknot and Marilyn Mason aren't even "gothic". :rolleyes:

Waterproof makeup is your best solution. You can wipe it off with a tissue afterwards.

music-my life
09-10-2004, 07:10 PM
thx for the help guys you got any suggestions for the materials for in a way reshaping my face?
And for those dickheads who think we are some gothic **** **** you, be a little more excepting of everyone

jof1029
09-10-2004, 07:13 PM
try going to a costume shop for materials to reshape your face. they should have face putty. my friend used that for halloween once and it seemed to work pretty well. you should also be able to get the waterproof face paint there, i think.

UnicornRulez
09-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Use normal waterproof makeup, its a gals best friend and a guys I suppose, specially when you're on stage. If you got a nice budget, go to a make-up artist, they dhud give you sum tips on how to do ur face. :)

failurepunk182
09-14-2004, 09:20 PM
my band has 3 guitarists im lead and there are 2 rhythm players and not all our songs have 3 parts should the 2 rhythms play in unison?

dirtguitar
09-15-2004, 02:46 PM
that would make the most sense. i find it very difficult to play with 3 guitarists, espicially because alot of guitar players try to show off the whole time, when all I want to do is play a song.

but it wouldnt sound right if they didnt play the same thing or there were 2 leads going one the whole time. unless your skynard.

biohazardous59
09-16-2004, 02:47 PM
mmk

after a number of practice with my good friends, weve decided that we need a p a system at our practices..

now we had an idea that all 4 of us put up 50$ to help pay for the system.. but we found some problems. since we are buyin the system over the internet we have to use a credit card so were having one us them with a credit card order it and then were all going to pay him back with the 50$...

the biggest problem is

what are we gonna do with the system when some one leaves the band?

and a minor question is

what if someone in the band cant pay the money in a timely manner?

i need some help with my first problem cause we are on the verge of paying for it

any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance

*biohazardous59*

Les Paul Legend
09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Should we kick our bassist out of the band because he hasn't got a bass (he uses the drummers bass) he says every week he's getting a bass next week and that next week comes and he says he's gettin it next week etc etc and he's not even ggod

UtBDan
09-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Les Paul Legend
Should we kick our bassist out of the band because he hasn't got a bass (he uses the drummers bass) he says every week he's getting a bass next week and that next week comes and he says he's gettin it next week etc etc and he's not even ggod

If you can find a better bassist, yeah. If you can find a bassist with equal talent who owns a bass, yeah.

Before you rush into kicking him out, though, I'd recommend telling him how serious you are about the band and give him a set date he has to get the bass by (not within a week - give him time to work up the cash. I'd give it about a month/30 days and say "if you don't have a bass of your own by this time, you are out of the band. Period.")

jedislame
09-22-2004, 05:42 AM
how many people are in your band if i may ask and what instruments do they play

theguitarist
09-22-2004, 06:26 AM
well what did they play, and what do you guys play.

masterbasser89
09-22-2004, 08:19 PM
try highway to hell or back in black by AC/DC

theguitarist
09-23-2004, 07:30 AM
if they play metallica play some metallica, if you cant play any and metallica goes down well with your school, well your pretty much screwed. oh and if you do play metallica play something harder and more upbeat than sad but true, like one or master of puppets, that way you'll upstage them at their own game, and most importantly, things like metallica dont always need a singer, if you play a song well enough do it, but dont play a crappy song beacuse thats all you can get a singer for....

Pistol Whipped
09-25-2004, 01:16 AM
My friend and I's band started practicing today. We originally were going to have a 2 guitarists, bassist and a drummer set up where the bassist and I sing. But today as we went over what direction we want the band to go in, we decided to do something a little different. If we had 2 guitarists, a drummer and 2 bassists. One with a 4-string and the other with a 5-string. My question is, do you think this would work? We have two songs written already for guitar and bass but how would we fit a 5-string into the mix?

We were thinking of having the 5-string bass guitarist play close to the same riff on his bass but just a little higher than the 4-string bass. What do you guys think?

st anger blows
09-25-2004, 01:26 AM
just try it out and see how it sounds. no one on this site will know what it may sound like except you. something that may seem like a bad idea could end up sounding awesome when your band plays it. just try it out yourself and see how you guys like it.

Seany
09-25-2004, 02:12 AM
getting the second bassist to play fills could be cool, like a "lead" bassist, he/she could even have solos...

or the 5 string could play the same basslines but an octave higher or something, on in a corresponding key

just mess around with everything

Punkarse
09-25-2004, 04:43 AM
Often bands like BRMC will use two basses instead of a guitar and bass.

They would use one playing a traditional bassline, while the other plays more melodically and gives the song it's tune.

To add more variety you could have one bass clean, and the other fed through a fuzz pedal or an envelope filter or something.

As the bloke above said, just mess around.

Pistol Whipped
09-25-2004, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds good. Hopefully the band can get together sometime next week to try some different stuff out.

meh!
09-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Our band just started ( i am 2nd guitarist)

and were alright but there are absoloutley NO BASSIST'S in our school we think (we want one from our school)

but out of almost 3000 people that can't be true. weve put adds in the newspaper and the daily bulletin but no ones comes o auditions, or even just to talk to us

advice?

dirtguitar
09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
buy a bass and play it

IHateSuvs
09-28-2004, 11:12 PM
My friend and I (I am a guitarist, he is a baasist) are thinking about learning enough material so we can gig at weddings, Bar Mitzvas ect. What do you guys think the best place to start is for material to learn? Thanks Much

headbanger420
09-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Please Help. Heres the situation: I was online searching around to see if I could find some more information on the word acedia, which is also the name of my band. While searching I found out that there is another band and a music label named acedia. Everybody I've asked has never heard of either of them. SO, I was wondering what we should do. How much trouble could we get in?(copyright laws) We really don't want to change our name so we were wondering what else we could do> PLEASE HELP!!!!

PM me if you have any suggestions.

dirtguitar
10-01-2004, 02:39 PM
well if you know that another band already has a name you should probally change your name. I do know after nirvana becamse famous they got a few letters from lawers because some other groups including a christian rock group already had that name, nirvana ended paying (dues) to use the name.

but it isnt very christian so sew someone is it?

Seany
10-01-2004, 07:50 PM
i remember Oasis is the name of some small mom and pop business in woop woop or somewhere, and everytime the band sold a T shirt or something they got a percentage of it

they are now millionaires, for doing absloutely jack all. Think of a different name, just to spite people like that :p:

headbanger420
10-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys.

xEmoIssuex
10-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Hey guys, I have a "little" problem over here. I'm in a band with 2 of my mates, one is drummer and the other bassist. Now for the last one, he can't play bass. His bass is in our rehearsal studio for about 6 weeks and he has only played it 4 times in those 6 weeks. The other problem is that he doesn't even come to our rehearsals and doesn't show any intrest for the band. It's really annoying because when he comes, he disturbs the whole jam session by doing stupid things. Last night we played withouth him and it went really nice, real smooth. The drummer and I talked about it, he's the one that's the most annoyed about him. We came to the decision to kick him out, but he's a real good friend of us, and would take it personal, wich is not. He just aint a good musician. What would you guys advice us to do? Thanks :)

Punkarse
10-02-2004, 06:01 PM
There are 3 ways.

1) Talk to him nicely, butter him up, shower him with gifts, then explain he's not in the band any more (give him a good reason like 'you don't turn up enough to practice')

2) Kick him out. Hard.

3) Lie. Spin him out some story about how his name doesn't fit with the karma of the group or something. Of course this depends on the guy's IQ (if he's a bassist it should work)

There is one other option I've just thought of. Don't tell him when the practices are. After a while he might take the hint.

headbanger420
10-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Punkarse
There are 3 ways.

1) Talk to him nicely, butter him up, shower him with gifts, then explain he's not in the band any more (give him a good reason like 'you don't turn up enough to practice')

2) Kick him out. Hard.

3) Lie. Spin him out some story about how his name doesn't fit with the karma of the group or something. Of course this depends on the guy's IQ (if he's a bassist it should work)

There is one other option I've just thought of. Don't tell him when the practices are. After a while he might take the hint.

Bassist don't always have low IQs, I'm a bassist and the smartest one in my band.

Anyways you could always get another guy and have him there at practice when your "member" gets there. He'll take the hint but a fight might ensue.

Punkarse
10-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by headbanger420
Bassist don't always have low IQs, I'm a bassist and the smartest one in my band.

Sorry, it was meant to be a joke. It would have worked better if the guy had been a drummer...

Anyway, the Deputy Head Boy at my school is a mean bassist. He's not dumb either (although there are always exceptions to the rules).

Orophin
10-03-2004, 04:39 PM
New problem: :rolleyes:

My band are hated at our school. I don't understand it. Okay, we played crap on our 1st two performences, but our 2nd two went really well.

Right, at the moment: 1 Guitarist (me), 1 lead vocalist, 1 keyboardist (resently shifted from bass) 1 bassist and one drummer.

1st gig: Me and the drummer were alone; noone else. We never ever performed ever. We opened up with We Will Rock You. I got a friend of mine to sing, and I just sang the chorus with him. Then I did the worst solo I ever did and it was crap. Then we did TWO drum solos, 'cause the drummer's good and he had more confidence in doing solos back then.
Then came Wild Thing. My guitar was out of tune, and I got someguy to do bass for us. I went okay I guess, but could have been alot better.

2nd gig. We were a full band by now, and I writ our first song, a metal one. It went okay, but the bassist couldn't work the doggy bass amp, and he just mimed without anyone noticing...

3rd gig - fine, no problems, no muck-ups, great performence. We played differntly than the others, used no distorion. By now, we got a lead guitarist and a 2nd bassist. We did a Shadows cover apache (instrumental), and as good - execpt the lead guitarists amp began emiting MEGA feedback, and he turned off and the sound guy had to fix it... (now the lead guitarist is fired)

4th gig, We did this without our lead guitarist and 2nd bassist and did one of our own. This was REALLY GOOD, I played my new 12 string electro acoustic guiatar, vocal harmonies, in tune, in beat. But, it was a slow song in 3/4.

Everyone hates us. Why? They tell us we're s**t. But we're good!
Is it the type of music, non metal, non pop punk? We play all kinds of music. But other musicans in our school respect us and even Slipknot loving ppl liked our acoutsical, slow and non heavy song.
What should we play next to prove we're good? Most like metal, and I like it and so do the rest of the band. But it's all the audience GET! I thought we'll do something difernt and stand out, but they hate us...:confused:

Sorry ppl for the lengh, I deserve to be shot...

Punkarse
10-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Orophin
Sorry ppl for the lengh, I deserve to be shot...
It shows you are passionate though.

From what I've read you sound shi<e>t.

But don't let that put you off. All bands start off sh<e>it. It's a natural progression; from sh<e>it to non-sh<e>it.

In reference to the hating crowd. Tell them to come up and do better. At least you're making an effort.

I like your style, it's good to do something different. If they don't like you, f<e>uck 'em. They're only High School kids anyway. Stick with it. Carry on playing the gigs. Practice. In time you will win your audience and conquer the world.

Orophin
10-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I think one of our problems is confidence. We need to practice more often, and to gig more often. But there are crapper acts than we and they love them. They print out pictures from our site and draw over them and pin 'em up on walls. The teachers like us, the over bands like us, it's just the retards who don't know anything about music...I HATE SCHOOL

Punkarse
10-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Maybe try playing a joint show with one of the other bands. Show your mutual respect. If a band they admire is shown liking the band they hate, then maybe they'll see sense.

These ba<e>stards sound like bullies to me. Show them up for what they are.

Bill43
10-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by xEmoIssuex
Hey guys, I have a "little" problem over here. I'm in a band with 2 of my mates, one is drummer and the other bassist. Now for the last one, he can't play bass. His bass is in our rehearsal studio for about 6 weeks and he has only played it 4 times in those 6 weeks. The other problem is that he doesn't even come to our rehearsals and doesn't show any intrest for the band. It's really annoying because when he comes, he disturbs the whole jam session by doing stupid things. Last night we played withouth him and it went really nice, real smooth. The drummer and I talked about it, he's the one that's the most annoyed about him. We came to the decision to kick him out, but he's a real good friend of us, and would take it personal, wich is not. He just aint a good musician. What would you guys advice us to do? Thanks :)

Tell him man to man how you and the drummer feel. If he's a good enough friend... tell him you'll give him a week or two to shape up or you'll have to find another bass player. If he can't handle it... then that's his loss... not your's.

Srg_Elvis
10-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Im gona start a band soon. I know a bassist who has been playing for 2 years and is usualy in 2 bands at a time and is more used to the band situation. I know a drummer who has been drumming since 5 grade but only usally drums for marching band (or filling in the drum line if one of the guys is sick). Myself only playing for about a year is a bit intimadated by the fact that if i do start a band with then that i would be the least experenced. What sould i do in your opinion.

LpBlack_Beauty
10-07-2004, 11:10 PM
just get together and jam if you guys connect then go with it.. if it doesnt then dont start a band.

DaleH
10-08-2004, 12:56 AM
playing with more experienced musicians is one of the best ways to get better yourself.

Cakefighter
10-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Is it possible to get a gig when you're 14 because I need some cash?

theholysock
10-10-2004, 10:30 AM
i'm having a bit of trouble with my band as of recently, mostly due to our lead singer, and we're having a hard time working out the problem. Basically it goes like this: a mate's band broke up, and he formed a new one, our lead singer offered to jam with them a couple of times to help them get off the ground until they found a singer, and we agreed, on the condition that it was only for a few jams. However now our singer is gigging with this band, and has essentially become their singer as well.
Naturally we're not too pleased about it, but he continues to tell us that we shouldnt fuss, as we're only high school bands and its not that big a deal. However we're really beginning to get annoyed by it, as we dont fell like a whole band anymore. i personally think its an unwritten law that you cant be in two bands at the same time, but what do you guys think we should do to resolve the issue?

sonixon
10-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I think it's quite the opposite. You should try to be in a few bands at a time to increase your chances of success/earning money, but if he starts over prioritizing another band for you guys (doing gigs with them INSTEAD of your band), that's when you should kick him, or bring it up to him.

Gurgle!Argh!
10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Its not an unwritten law not to be in two bands at once. It really isn't. You should try to be in as many bands as you can fit into your time, cos its all experience. If it really is a problem for you, give the guy an ultimatum, but if i were you, i'd be looking for a second band too :p:

Revolutionist
10-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Kick him out and find a new singer. If he isn't committed to your band and he thinks that a high school band doesn't matter, then he doesn't see a future for your band. Find someone else that is more committed, tell how you feel and if he still wants to jam with them, fire his @$$!

Tom
10-10-2004, 10:35 AM
man there are professional musicians out there who are in two bands at the same time

hololos
10-10-2004, 10:48 AM
holysock, i kno how you feel. Although, the thing is that loads of professional musicians (as said by Tom above) are in loads of bands if not just two at the same time to increase their skill and their chances of being popular (well at a High School level) or at a Pro level, success and money. You should really talk to the Lead Singer and the other band that he's gigging with right now. I kno what it feels like, it kinda seems like someone's cheated on you. Keep working harder though, when he sees that you guys are way better, he'll want to stick with u guys ;)

Super-Peanut
10-10-2004, 10:56 AM
i have the same problem with a bass player instead, and he actually went and got gigged with his "side project" totally leaving us out of the equation, i have no idea what to do though...if i kick him then im pretty sure the whole band will go and fall apart, so im thinking about just quiting and getting a whole new everything instead of going threw all that garbage

DorkusMalorkus
10-10-2004, 08:51 PM
hey cakefighter, unless ur playing at ur school or church, ur not getting any gig...but neither am i:(

d0bbit
10-11-2004, 09:44 AM
my friend who plays drums(from my old band), and me are starting anew band today, we got a singer are bassist and a another guiatrist, and were all buddies, we also have all our amps we need and mics, and what not and a jam place, does anyone have ideas on what else we can do on writing songs and being a band..we are gonna play music like, dimension zero, or bodom , dark tranquility

st anger blows
10-11-2004, 10:02 AM
just jam out and see what you produce. the way my band worked is i would usually write lyrics and just store them in a notebook until we jammed together. at the jam session we'd practice our exsisting songs and also jam to create new songs. when the singer heard something good, he'd grab the notebook and find some lyrics that fit. this worked out great for my band.

nirvana alive
10-11-2004, 10:26 AM
there r many guest columns on this topic. check them out. some of them r pretty helpful.

Punkarse
10-11-2004, 11:26 AM
It's usually good to get a few covers under the belt as a new band.

It gets you used to playing together, and gives you the satisfaction of actually having something to play.

After doing a couple of covers you should be able to see what everyone elses strengths are, and in jamming sessions you should be able to play to those strengths better; which is good when it comes to songwriting, whether you do that as a band or solo.

The_Strat_Man
10-12-2004, 09:15 PM
^^

Yeah, when doing the covers, make sure everyone has a part. That's the only way to find the strenghts and weaknesses.

Punkarse
10-13-2004, 08:25 AM
^^

Are you suggesting that some people are made to sit out when doing covers? When bands do covers everyone should have a part, even if you have to invent one for the keyboardist! that's the point of being 'a band'.

pagemonkey
10-13-2004, 03:07 PM
hey ppl-i need real help startin my band i'm guitarist n the others just need more practise

does anyone have ne tips at all about startin n how to write music-its so dam hard tryin 2 learn ne modes or scales from the internet
any good websites will also b appreciated
thanks

junior_shredder
10-16-2004, 06:03 AM
modes are normally for inspiration in doing a solo....i try making up new riffs by taking existing ones i already know and maybe change them around, add new notes....change the pace....it seriously works, give it a go....noodling is a good method of composition....hear something you like write it down, show your other band members, make the necessary changes and your good...

Gurgle!Argh!
10-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Punkarse
It's usually good to get a few covers under the belt as a new band.

It gets you used to playing together, and gives you the satisfaction of actually having something to play.

After doing a couple of covers you should be able to see what everyone elses strengths are, and in jamming sessions you should be able to play to those strengths better; which is good when it comes to songwriting, whether you do that as a band or solo.

I agree... another idea is to not nessecarily all get together at the same time at first. As an example, my band never played covers, but we didn't just jump stragith into a whole band practice. Me and the other guitarist had got together quite a few times and had been working on ideas so that we had some pretty solid ideas before introducing other instruments, which made it easier, so that could be an idea to use...

basketcase1087
10-19-2004, 11:26 AM
How do I find a good band manager. How much am I going to be paying for this, and what type of services will they offer?

Thanks,

basket

brett1234
10-19-2004, 11:51 AM
they are a waste of time trust me u can do it all urself unless ur masive

AndyGray
10-19-2004, 02:48 PM
i learned from austin powers, that agents get paid 10% of profits...i dont see the point in one like brett said, as u can do it urself for free

rspirate
10-19-2004, 09:44 PM
well ive been having trouble getting this band idea of mine going. me and two of my friends (guitarist whose better than me and drummer) have been trying to start a band but have been having trouble. our main problem is the fact that we have 2 guitarists. i think its really neat to have 2 guitarists but my friends keep telling me to switch to bass. well, obviously, im not going to so im trying to figure out what to do. a new kid who came to our school plays bass and were going to try to get him in our band as well.

okay now to the point: were having trouble getting songs we can play that have 2 guitar parts. we have contradicting ideas. i like classic rock and 80s hard rock/glam rock/hair metal. my friends like modern rock stuff which i either think is okay or hate but am willing to play if it comes down to it. i want to play guns n roses but i think its above our skill level. my friends want to play songs from bands with only one guitarist. what should we do? should i make up parts or should we only play cover songs which have 2 guitars?

we have meet a few times but never gotten anything done because we dont know any songs which we all have parts to. ive decided just to give in to doing a song they want to do because its obvious that otherwise we wont get anything done.

noside
10-20-2004, 12:43 AM
most bands have two guitarists... a lead and a rhythm, the rhythm often sings...i guess some "new" punk bands don't and some older but two guitar parts just leads to more variety...

basketcase1087
10-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Ya, but i can't submit my band to a label if i don't have one.

LazyGuitar
10-20-2004, 01:22 PM
^ Then make someone you know your "manager" for the moment, if it is vital (which I can't see it being unless you're well on your way to stardom).

Caressing Death
10-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Personally i would make sure they arent in the band, ive seen it happen before and it doesnt work out. get someone you know who likes youre music so he/she will do it for free

*Def*
10-20-2004, 04:18 PM
If you're on a label, sometimes you get a guy from the label that tags along on your shows, he makes sure the label get their cut from your earnings and you get paid enough. Also sets up the merch and that kinda stuff.
If they send someone along, its allways a guy with a lot of contacts, so he can give you a better deal as a band.
Doesn't happen on most labels though, more on smaller ones where bands don't have an own manager.

A friend is nice, but one that knows everyone in the band etc. we've allways had our bassist as manager because he has the most contacts and knows how to handle programmers and that kinda stuff, he likes to drag out good deals and that kinda stuff whilst nobody else in the band would dare to do that. We've got a collective bank account as a band and Joost, our bassist keeps track of everything. Works fine for us, but it's easier to get someone that doesn't play an active role in the band. (as in, good friend, roady, etc.) and never ever get a manager that's an ass, you don't want to be screwed over.

Anyways, if you want to pay for a manager and are not signed yet or anything, they can come in handy. they have contacts, can get you shows and cut you deals with labels etc. But most of the time they earn a buck or two off your band too. But if you're starting out and need help, it might be worth it.

`NeXxuS`
10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
^is that your band def?

*Def*
10-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Ataglance? yes it is.

`NeXxuS`
10-20-2004, 04:36 PM
i liked dead and done... it was pretty good.

your drummer really fits the music well.

*Def*
10-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks! :cheers:

Social_Circle
10-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Actually it depends on the size of the label you are submitting to, that you need a band manager. If its a smaller punk style label, they take unsolicited demos, but if your submitting to a major label they dont accept from band managers. It has to either be a music laywer or a reputable source like a known producer or a smaller label. You could also go to a show and try to pass it along to somebody in the band, but put any numbers you have, email, ect.

Evan_lesPaul
10-20-2004, 10:08 PM
my band has a gig in a week or so, and our tone seems weak. i dont know how to get a more full sound without making it sound to bassy. how do i get a really full tone (bass, guitar and drums even)

`NeXxuS`
10-20-2004, 10:20 PM
it would help if i could hear your band...

but, id suggest turning your guitars bass all the way up and treble nearly to the top but keep your mid down to about 4-5

then for your bass keep the bass up at 9 and the treb down at 5-6 and your mid at 7

Remebol
10-20-2004, 10:27 PM
i know what he means.. i hear it with every newbie band. i think part of it.. is how well ur members can handel there instroments, gives that fuller sound quality(texture,bends what ever u define quality as) of notes and what ever. The other part is, i think is, the equipment used. if u are expert in knowing what equipment to use, then it wont give a sense that u dont know what ur doing, but if u are expert in knowing the equipment, and handing ur instroment,, Hey! i think i answered ur question :P

but i never really investigated the reasoning for fuller sound quallity, thats just my opinion. of Course

Evan_lesPaul
10-20-2004, 10:42 PM
i have an epi les paul, our bassist has a peavey milstone and our other guitarist has an epi sg. i have a fender deville 410 amp, and our other guitarist has a fender deluxe, if that helps

Evan_lesPaul
10-22-2004, 02:28 PM
we play punk, mostly

sweedishpimple
10-22-2004, 10:25 PM
this is a band i started about 2 years ago with 2 other buddies,
we then had a singer join, then we gave him the boot, now we just got a new rhythm guitarist, who kind of annoys me

but the real problem is the drummer, hes a huge jerk who angers me every time i even think about the band

i really wanna leave, but me and the bass player are really good friends, and i think it would hurt him if i left, cuz me, him and the drummer used to be like best friends

i dunno how to leave without hurtin my buddy, and still not seeming like a huge jerk to the drummer or the rhythm guitarist

help...

RedTears
10-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Just tell them that you can't stand the drummer anymore, and that you quit.

GoodCharloteSux
10-22-2004, 10:31 PM
or stay in the band just dont practice with them that much and just say you dont want to be really active for awhile

sultan_d87
10-22-2004, 10:33 PM
blow his brains out

lyingfromyou118
10-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Just tell them you feel you need to move on as a musician. If you really trust your friend, let him know that you can't stand the drummer anymore. If he's a good friend, he'll understand.

HumanitysDeath
10-22-2004, 10:38 PM
take your bassist and get new guys that you both like. **** the other two guys, start over with your best bud

millenman
10-22-2004, 10:47 PM
create a side project band with ur bassist, let it take up most of ur time then gradually fade out of the other band

DorkusMalorkus
10-23-2004, 12:21 AM
^^thats a good solution...or u could tell ur band that u dont wanna be there, because ur afraid something in the future will tear u apart and u dont want that to ruin ur friendship...but i like the other one better cuz its less corny

Thoreau's Pond
10-23-2004, 03:59 AM
just tell them to choose between you and the drummer. if the bassist is a good friend, it's a no-brainer.

Tom Trendy
10-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Have you ever thought about talking it out with the drummer? Tell him how you feel about the way he's acting and find a way to resolve matters, this way you can stay in the band and keep the friends.

Dudley000
10-23-2004, 07:42 AM
hey if you hate them its not rocket science
just leave them
let them down real harsh just to show how much you appreciate the guy

SilentDeftone
10-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Okay, I've got a dilemma.

I've been itching to get a band going for quite a while now. I recently saw an ad on one of the walls at school that was asking for a guitarist/trombonist/otherthingsist to play in a rock/ska band. Required were 2 years of experience (I'll have 2 this Christmas). Also, it said that they want someone serious about being in a band. Names were not put on the flyer, but I have an idea of who it is and I'm pretty sure I can hold down any guitar part they'd have for me. Also, I have 5 years experience of trombone, but I don't want to play trombone in a band.
Anyways, it all sounds good except for the simple reason that I dislike the music I'd be playing. I have no job (applied a few places Thursday) and would really like some sort of income! I enjoy progressive music, and dislike any sort of punk, and I find ska a bit annoying.

So my question is: Should I audition for a band that I don't really like for the sake of being in a band?

UtBDan
10-23-2004, 06:04 PM
No. Never sacricife your style for the sake of playing.

You can audition for them and say you'll join only if you also play what you want to play, but don't let them walk all over you and play a genre you don't like or want to play in.

SilentDeftone
10-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Yes, but my style of music hardly gets any real fans. The place I live in is full of liberal ska-lovers. I think this would be my best option for musical recognition on the guitar (which would attract the attention of other musicians, I'm not trying to get groupies or anything:bonk: ). Most of the talented people are in bands already, and the others don't seem to want to start a band?

renato
10-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by `NeXxuS`
it would help if i could hear your band...

but, id suggest turning your guitars bass all the way up and treble nearly to the top but keep your mid down to about 4-5

then for your bass keep the bass up at 9 and the treb down at 5-6 and your mid at 7

stoned over here and i was looking at your suggestion with great interest (as i also produce my music)- Is that the standard set-up you use with your band live and when recording, or do you have other settings you use when recording?

to be honest i was going to lambast you for going for a 'scooped mids' type effect, then i noticed you wrote 'nearly to the top' and your bass settings are pretty precise.

to the kids out there: scooped mids are a real sign of amateurism, avoid them. (scooped mids= treble and bass all the way up, mid all the way down. avoid it unless you have access to an equaliser)

Seany
10-23-2004, 09:27 PM
SilentDeftone, you should not sacrifice your style just to be in a band....

but if you are doing it to pay the bills, that is understandable. The life of a musician is not an easy one, and you may find urself wishing for such an easy way to get paid for playing music later. Music is after all music, and u may find that playing ska could turn out to be fun -_-. You might as well go to the audition, you've got nothing the lose and the least it would do is broaden your musical horizons, which is never a bad thing.

`NeXxuS`
10-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by renato
stoned over here and i was looking at your suggestion with great interest (as i also produce my music)- Is that the standard set-up you use with your band live and when recording, or do you have other settings you use when recording?

to be honest i was going to lambast you for going for a 'scooped mids' type effect, then i noticed you wrote 'nearly to the top' and your bass settings are pretty precise.

to the kids out there: scooped mids are a real sign of amateurism, avoid them. (scooped mids= treble and bass all the way up, mid all the way down. avoid it unless you have access to an equaliser)

when recording, i do the guitar work of 2 guitarists, cause its just easier that way, but i like to keep the same sound as a live guitar to an extent... ive found that when recording i have to "tone down" my guitars... because for some reason i just have more tone after the recording process then i do coming straight out of my speakers... anyway, when i record i usually use my Behringer V-amp as well.

edit: and I agree, i dont like the way scooped mids sounds... very... i dunno... its missing something.

SilentDeftone
10-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Seany
SilentDeftone, you should not sacrifice your style just to be in a band....

but if you are doing it to pay the bills, that is understandable. The life of a musician is not an easy one, and you may find urself wishing for such an easy way to get paid for playing music later. Music is after all music, and u may find that playing ska could turn out to be fun -_-. You might as well go to the audition, you've got nothing the lose and the least it would do is broaden your musical horizons, which is never a bad thing.

Fortunately I am only 17 and don't have bills. I'll look into it and see who's in the band. It's at least worth checking out I suppose?

Thanks for the replies :cheers:

`NeXxuS`
10-23-2004, 11:04 PM
^its upto you whether or not you want to join that band... but i wouldnt...

starting a band is extremely hard work, BUT its worth it in the end.

masterbasser89
10-24-2004, 04:34 PM
^ya dont play music you hate it wont be any fun just start your own band it will be alot better trust me

UtBDan
10-24-2004, 05:29 PM
The second you join a band, it becomes partially yours, too. Unless everyone in that band says "no we have no variety no originality and no grasp of a bigger picture we only like ska we'll only play ska and ska alone", odds are you will be able to play some of what you like. Join the band (assuming they take you), and try to mix your style in with theirs. If it doesn't work, leave. It's not like you're committed till death.

masterbasser89
10-24-2004, 07:17 PM
UtBdan has a good point the guys might be willing to compromise maybe try talking to them first

StuckWithSlappy
10-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Tell someone they are out of the band, but you still want to be friends with them.

punk_loser
10-24-2004, 08:22 PM
tell them that it's not them, it's you

~Rock~Guitarist
10-24-2004, 08:22 PM
explain to him/her that it just might not be the right time to be in a band, definetely dont say anything about skill level, but just lay it down straight, and explain you still want to be friends.

UndeadPaperclip
10-24-2004, 08:31 PM
"I want you out of the band, lets go get drunk"

StuckWithSlappy
10-24-2004, 08:33 PM
thanks, the help is greatly appreciated, hopefully itll turn out well

blank_Systems
10-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, mention NOTHING about skill level. Even if that's the reason why they are being kicked out of the band (while, in your personal case, I know it's not.). Just come out and say it.

E.X. :

"Jimmy, we as a band have decided that we need to replace you. It's nothing personal, but we feel that it would better the band as a whole."

"Oh... okay."

"We still want to be friends."

"Alright!"

Something like that.

`NeXxuS`
10-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by StuckWithSlappy
Tell someone they are out of the band, but you still want to be friends with them.

not likely to happen... but the only thing you can do is to tell the honest truth.

EDIT: and next time post crap like this in the only band thread.

Metal_Man666
10-24-2004, 08:49 PM
"Give me one good reason we shouldn't kick you out of this band"

FlyingFuc!<
10-24-2004, 10:33 PM
My band just got a new singer. We've been looking for a singer for 3 months.

I'm kind of excited that we FINALLY got a singer, BUT he doesn't seem to be into the same type of music as our band.

We listen to hardcore and he listens to emo. He can't scream and he doesn't know how to rock out.

But on the other hand he knows how to sing and he's the only guy we know that's cool.

`NeXxuS`
10-24-2004, 10:45 PM
try letting him just do his thing to the bands music...

unless your a cover band... if ur a cover band then you NEED to have all the band members into the same style of music.

farcry
10-24-2004, 10:46 PM
umm try pulling this one:

"well we've thought this for a while now. the band thinks that you are at a higher skill level than us, and therefore we think it would be better for you to not be in our band anymore. "

and if he buys that crock of **** steal his wallet

masterbasser89
10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
it all depends why you want him out, if its different musical tastes just say that, if its cause he isnt very good maybe just be patient or just make somethign up

ash_361
10-31-2004, 01:29 PM
I got a band and we play classic rock except the drummers into punk and metal and once asked me if i wanted to be a punk band *shrugs* anyways, hes still really good at drums but he always wants to make a song faster or whatever. Think i should be a control freak or what?

spookykid_6000
11-01-2004, 05:21 AM
My band is going alright, but there are a few problems with in it.

Rhythm Guitarist/Lead vocalsit: He is the only one that can hold a high note and we need him to sing TNT (AC/DC cover), but the problem is he won't let us play any Pantera, Slayer, Symphony X, or any punk as he immediately writes it off as "sh<e>it". We don't see any solution, but whatever happens, we want to play some punk.

Other vocalist/rhythm guitarist: This problem isn't so big; we want to play Paranoid by Black Sabbath, but he thinks BS suck and refuses to play any of their stuff. I don't think he's really heard them but he isn't willing to give them a try. We really want to play Paranoid as it is a great song, but he doesn't want to. He also keeps wanting us to play Nirvana songs and is always going on about how the songs that me and the rest of my band want to play are "too hard" and we "can't handle them yet".

HELP!!!

-xxemokidxx-
11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
^ You have TWO rhythm guitarists? What happened to lead? Anyways man, i think you should try to work it out, just during the enxt practise be straight up and say, we need to compromise, we can play a bit from everyones music type, and at a gig or w/e play 2 songs you like, 2 for each guitarists taste too. That should make them happy, and if they dont wanna compromise get new band members.

Tequilaman101
11-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Are there any good songs for me to do with my band?We play classic rock and weve done covers of iron man and an instrumental stairway to heaven.I'm looking for a bit of a challenge now so anything more intermiediate(Ive been playing for almost a year)
Thanks

masterbasser89
11-03-2004, 04:59 PM
you can play a whole lotta love if you do not do the solo i will smack you just because

Brandon860
11-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Our band's in trouble and need help. We started our band on the premise that the manager of a local bowling alley heard us jamming one night and offered us $400 a week if we could pull off a band. The problem is that although our lead is an excellent guitarist, he was raised on blues and country. Myself and our rythem have no problem with the blues, but are major country haters. Our rythem can play almost every Rush song pat down and tons of other classic rock songs, but our lead wants to lean more towards an "easy listening style" instead of classic. What should we do?

masterbasser89
11-04-2004, 07:38 PM
^^either negotiate it or you will have to let him go if your rhythm is that good you should be able to be fine without the lead if he is unwilling to compromise

p.s rush rocks!!!!!

spookykid_6000
11-05-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by -xxemokidxx-
^ You have TWO rhythm guitarists? What happened to lead? Anyways man, i think you should try to work it out, just during the enxt practise be straight up and say, we need to compromise, we can play a bit from everyones music type, and at a gig or w/e play 2 songs you like, 2 for each guitarists taste too. That should make them happy, and if they dont wanna compromise get new band members.

I'm lead:p: . Problem is, we all hate Nirvana except for Wags (our rhythm guitarist) and we don't want to play it on principle :p:. And also, our other rhythm guitarist is really stubborn:mad:

masterbasser89
11-07-2004, 02:56 PM
^^make a deal with him maybe do another grunge band he likes or something or just tell him if he wants to play nirvana he can go start his own band

Gomer
11-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Recently I have been kicked out of my band. After asking my band some questions I learned that our drummer decided to kick me out over some bull**** reason and our bassist agreed just to shut up our drummer and our other guitarist sides with me on the mater me being a guitarist as well but felt he could do nothing about it so didn't. I feel that that band was as much mine as his and am wondering was the infinite wisdom of the internet has to say on this issue. And P.S. I have already come to the conclusion that our drummer is an asshole. And Bye the way I am the best Guitarist in my band and better than my replacement who is only there because he is friends with the drummer.

Bill43
11-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Gomer
Recently I have been kicked out of my band. After asking my band some questions I learned that our drummer decided to kick me out over some bull**** reason and our bassist agreed just to shut up our drummer and our other guitarist sides with me on the mater me being a guitarist as well but felt he could do nothing about it so didn't. I feel that that band was as much mine as his and am wondering was the infinite wisdom of the internet has to say on this issue. And P.S. I have already come to the conclusion that our drummer is an asshole. And Bye the way I am the best Guitarist in my band and better than my replacement who is only there because he is friends with the drummer.

What was the reason for giving you the boot?

evvo_gc_fan
11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
im having a major confidence problem at the moment
im entering my 4th year of playing. (started oct 2001). for a year or so i just wasnt that interested, and playing for the sake of it. around jan 2003 i started listening to more different kinds of music, and began to self teach myself. at first it was power chords (blink, nirvana, green day - the like). slowly i was able to do this much more. now i can teach myself a song with one quick look at a tab.
ive sinced branched out into more different styles of music. ive touched upon jazz. blues and even a little country. i feel like what i can play, i can play well. however, all my friends and other guitarists in my local area can all play what appears 2 be much better than me. when i hear them, i start puttin myself down. when we talk about playing, i nearly always say "you are much better than me" to that player. i feel that saying all this has got me feeling like less of a good player, and feeling as though i need to play better in order to have a better reputation as a guitarist.
however, all of these people only really play basic rock riffs, such as power chords, palm mute rhythms and 3 chord riffs. i have difficultly with this, and especially power chords on strings lower than the e, as i hit the e string without being able to mute it.
another thing thats got me low on confidence is this. me and my friend wrote a song in the key of c major. i was proud of it as it was thrown 2gether in 2 hours. we played it at a prac and during it another player picked up a guitar, stopped listening, called it **** and went off into power chords. this really upset me. i honestly felt like crying. have i done this confidence thing 2 myself, or am i just not a good sounding player. also, could someone reccomend some good guitar songs that are challenging
thanx

also - if youve read ALL of this, thank you

Diminishedfaith
11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
ignore other players, if you're not jamming with em, dont listen, im self taught for 4 years also, and im almost 15...

i put myself down sometimes, but i am told i am just as good and better than many guitarists in my area.

play what you feel, and practice. power chords get on my nerves sometimes as well, as its so easy, and too common.

try using your thumb with power chords on other strings and use the thumb to mute the low E.

learn some theory if not already, you can really show them guys up.

Gomer
11-10-2004, 11:22 PM
My Drummer acting upon his own wishes not those of the band kicked me out. Previously we had a discussion about problems about everyone in the band, I won't lie there were some problems with me and with others I might add, but before I had a chance to work on those areas I was kicked out on the drummers sole authority. I am know wondering what to do about the matter I would beat the **** our of are drummer but he'd probably kill me before I got a second swing in.

UtBDan
11-11-2004, 04:31 PM
^ nothing you can do. If your band really wants you back, they'll kick the drummer out and take you back. You can try to talk your ex-band members into that, but... honestly, beating the **** out of him would do nothing.

zang182
11-14-2004, 07:55 PM
I was wondering wot ppl fink is the best age to start a band?

Dirge
11-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by zang182
I was wondering wot ppl fink is the best age to start a band?

I 'fink' the best age to start a band is at 13. If you work that up until you are 20, man you have a sweet band going, you know?

wannaPunk90210
11-18-2004, 01:18 PM
thats not always true though..at 13 your most likely not gonna get **** accomplished anyway so you might as well wait, because unless your rich you probably wont have the best equipment and most 13 year old are very immature and couldnt take it seriously so id say 15 or 16
but if your rich and your good at what you play then go for it while really young

wannaPunk90210
11-18-2004, 01:29 PM
my band sucks...im the drummer...and we have a bass player and two guitarist... the bass player and i play good together, but we dont really agree with dave matthews **** that the better guitarist likes to play.. and our other guitarist just plain sucks ass, but hes a good friend and learning.. do you think i should just quit the band.. or play in another one until this one becomes more organized...

UtBDan
11-18-2004, 05:59 PM
play in 2 - one with your friends, and one for serious music making.

For example, keep the crap guitarist learning and whatever other friends you have there (I'm guessing if you can bond musicly with your bassist he's a friend too lol) and there's your friend band. Ask the bassist to be in your other more serious band, too, and then just work that one into what you want to sound like and what guys have the most talent.

Either makes everyone happy, or pisses one guy off. Hope for the first.

Freunleven
11-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Okay, here's my situation: My band's in a funk. Our schedules aren't matching up lately, we've all got too much going on in our personal lives. When we do get the rare chance to get together, the vocalist/guitar player curls up in front of the PlayStation half the time, and takes the bassist with him. The drummer joined another band, citing an apparent lack of motivation.

Being the primary guitarist/songwriter/producer-wannabe, I've got a half dozen songs I've written using a drum synth, digital modelling amp, and keyboard. They're just sitting there, collecting digital dust on my hard drive.

The bassist's sister started talking to me a couple days ago about thinking it'd be cool if she could sing in a band. So, do you think I should just stick it to the guys and let her work on the songs? It'll probably piss the vocalist off, and the bassist will no doubt question my motives (hanging around his sister, y'know), but I'm caring about it less and less.

UtBDan
11-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Go up to your band and say "if you guys don't kick it in gear, this is what I'm doing" and mention the bassist's sister. If that doesn't atleast get your bassist in gear, find a totally new bassist.

Also, feel free to have 2 bands. Your drummer does. Basically, do something to knock your vocalist and bassist's brain into gear.

masterbasser89
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM
i agree with utbdan just give them the option either they do this or you do that

FenderStrat1337
11-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Ive been jamming with friends for months, but I havent joined an official band. Im trying to form one but I got a few big problems.

Here is the situation:
I got a drummer and me so far, but the problem is a bassist. (I sing and play guitar) My best friend has a guitar, and thinks he can sing. He wants to join the band and be lead singer (although he cant sing) and let me play lead guitar, with him soloing half the time. (he isnt that good at soloing, plus i dont want to let him sing and solo, cuz that leaves me with nothing). I want him to switch to bass, since I am better at singing and playing guitar. (Alot of people have told me I am better than him) He doesnt want to be just a rythm guitar, and I know it is hard to have 2 lead guitarists.

I got other people that could be bassists, but he is my best friend. Should I not start a band with him, or what. I really want him to switch to bass, but he doesnt want to.

masterbasser89
11-25-2004, 06:12 PM
if you make him switch and he doesnt like it your band might run in problems down the road just find a real bassist

Freunleven
11-25-2004, 07:13 PM
It sounds like just considering starting a band with him is stressful enough. Nobody wants to ruin a friendship by starting a band with their friends - although your bandmates do end up becoming your friends.

It's kinda like when you ask out a girl who's been your friend for a while, she turns you down by saying something like, "I don't want to ruin what we already have, y'know?"

(24 and 1/2 hours of consciousness and counting)

:satan:

EDIT: Incidentally, thanks for the advice, ya'll. I've got her working on a couple of songs, and once they're done, I'm going to just let the guys know . . . . it's either you get to work, or I just keep working with her. Here's what we've got done already, and I wanna do more.

It should prove to be fun.

:bonk:

masterbasser89
11-25-2004, 10:04 PM
^^^sounds smart if shes talented and commited you got it but make sure to be straight with your band mates i hate when a leaving member lies about it or what they are doing

Freunleven
11-26-2004, 03:49 PM
I'll be happy with a four-song disc . . . . but if the rest of the band joins in, we can do more, and start playing out as a unit. That would kick ass.

And it's all I want: To do what I love, and have other people enjoy it, too.

masterbasser89
11-28-2004, 12:53 PM
a good way to look at it make sure to tell us what your band mates say

masterbasser89
11-28-2004, 01:10 PM
heres my problem my band had a drummer for awhile who is a good bud of mine but he left a few months ago but it wasnt a fight we all agreed to it now we need a drummer and we have talked about it with him and he is somewhat up to coming back...the problem is he likes some of the same music but he mostly likes all this punk and nu metal stuff which we dont. he also know plays in some punk band who suck btw so he would do both but should we just look for another drummer or what?

splitshot37
11-28-2004, 03:48 PM
if hes willing to play the music that youre gunna play with emotion, then hes fine. But if hes not gunna be passionate iwth it then you need a new drummer

TheNewGuy
11-29-2004, 02:53 AM
Hey
Ive just started a band about 2 months ago with 3 of my friends. but we are having real problems getting together write lyrics. everyone is just messing around all the time. any advice would be awsome.

Freunleven
11-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Without any more information than what you've given, here's my two bits . . . .

Get with your bandmates on at a time, face-to-face, and let them know how seriously you take creating your own music. Ask them to please work with you, if they're serious about it.

If they won't work with you, quit. Find another band. Start one apart from them. Heck, get a drum synth and start banging out some tunes of your own.

But try to meet them half-way, if at all possible.

TheNewGuy
11-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Alright thanks. although i cant start another band really because everyone who plays anything is already in a band but thats a problem for another day.

masterbasser89
11-29-2004, 07:34 PM
start writing material on your own and show it to them it might motavate them plus then you dont look like a hypocrite

TheNewGuy
11-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Ya ok ill try that. though i still have some problems writing the lyrics.
thanks

UtBDan
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
^ the only way you get better at writing lyrics is to write more of them. No one just writes stuff down for the first time and writes a Stairway or an Under the Bridge or a Mr. Tambourine Man. Just like everything else that is good in the world, it takes practice.

Also, people can have two bands and work fine. For example, my ex rhythm guitarist was in 3 bands at one time (he then quit all 3 including mine to pursue solo work... hmm lol).

masterbasser89
11-29-2004, 09:14 PM
^^very true even if your lyrics are god awful at first with practise they will improve

TheNewGuy
11-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Alright
ill keep at it then! thanks for all the advice.

Mike1109
11-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by spookykid_6000
My band is going alright, but there are a few problems with in it.

Rhythm Guitarist/Lead vocalsit: He is the only one that can hold a high note and we need him to sing TNT (AC/DC cover), but the problem is he won't let us play any Pantera, Slayer, Symphony X, or any punk as he immediately writes it off as "sh<e>it". We don't see any solution, but whatever happens, we want to play some punk.

Other vocalist/rhythm guitarist: This problem isn't so big; we want to play Paranoid by Black Sabbath, but he thinks BS suck and refuses to play any of their stuff. I don't think he's really heard them but he isn't willing to give them a try. We really want to play Paranoid as it is a great song, but he doesn't want to. He also keeps wanting us to play Nirvana songs and is always going on about how the songs that me and the rest of my band want to play are "too hard" and we "can't handle them yet".

HELP!!!

I think the other vocalist guy is right, I heard your recording of Paranoid and its so off timing and everything, you need to practise your timing, Paranoid isn't a very hard song, and if you can't play it all too well then maybe you should work on you before you start working with a band. I'm not offending you or anything I'm just saying by the sound of your version of Paranoid you need to practise it a lot more. Keep at it :cheers:

Also...2 Rhythm Guitarists? Can either of you handle solos? Because you can't play too many songs aside from Nirvana covers that don't require the ability to play solos, I mean you say you want to play Slayer and Pantera, those bands have pretty intense leads.

masterbasser89
11-30-2004, 04:43 PM
^^thats true bands like that can have difficult parts that if you cant grasp paranoid you wont be able to do

joe_17
12-04-2004, 09:33 AM
problem: my band (VISHNU)- at the moment there is three of us. we only play at school as we have only been together for about 2 months.

ok:we barely ever practise - seems like only when we need to play in front of people. we have one original and one cover of BADGE by CREAM. we have a bassist(TOM), who doesnt play anything else. HARRY (who is a really good drummer) - but he is the band leader and is a singer/guitarist. myself (DICK) - i play guitar piano and drums. for BADGE i play piano but that is a problem as we have no drummer to play it. original - i used to play guitar on it cause we had a drummer learn the song in an hour and fill in for us. but the last time, we played it as a 3 peice and i played drums. i like playing the drums but it wasnt as good with just one guitar as it is a pretty rocking song if you know what i mean.

i dont really like playing piano WITH a guitarist - id rather in the style of MUSE. my favourite/newest instrument is the drums and i had heaps of fun playing our original they other night.
so I WOULD LIKE TO BE THE PERMANENT DRUMMER but this means sacrificing the piano in songs. HARRY (vox/gtr/dr) likes frank zappa sort of stuff and likes piano/keyboards in our incomplete originals but if we do it like that we have no drummer.

there is also a big lack of drummers in our local area and the only ones who play are people who dont own a drumkit and only play it as a second instrument - they arent up to scratch

if anyone wants to comment or give me a solution feel free.

i (DICK) would also like to start my own three peice as a guitarist/pianist/vocalist, but the TOM(bass) wouldnt like my style and HARRY(vox/gtr/dr) would rather be voacalist/guitarist

ps: band name is VISHNU - ["the extra arms on vishnu" - says APU off the simpsons in the 'we put the spring in springfeild' song. burlesk house episode]. it is an indian god. (not indian as in redskin but indian as in curry-muncher) what do you think of it?

pps: HOLY SH*T I RAMBLE ON DONT I!!

Corwinoid
12-04-2004, 10:18 AM
If I had a penny for everytime I'd heard somebody say "We need a drummer..."

At that... if I had a penny everytime I'd said "We need a drummer..."

I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have quite a few pennies. The simple solution would be to let another guy take either fillable role, keys or drums, and you fill the other. For X more money you could get a system to do drums/keys for you. For probably less you can get someone who knows how to play but doesn't have a kit, and buy a kit for the band.

Seriously, if you're serious about the entire band thing you've gotta throw some money into it, and I'm sure if you look around there are drummers (you're in school, find a drum major!) around that are available, you just need to look.

masterbasser89
12-04-2004, 11:01 AM
try and find someone else who can play piano and guitar or two sepreate people and you just play drums thats what i would do

nonazisinpunk
12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Doolittle88
i disagree with 2 and 3 - its not always bad........think malcolm and angus in AC/DC, dan and justin in the darkness...but the exception there is that these are good players......if your brother is one of these 3 chord trick people tell him to go away and come back when hes practiced and is serious about music.

what about Lou Reed and his brotherin Velvet underground?

nonazisinpunk
12-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Freunleven
Okay, here's my situation: My band's in a funk. Our schedules aren't matching up lately, we've all got too much going on in our personal lives. When we do get the rare chance to get together, the vocalist/guitar player curls up in front of the PlayStation half the time, and takes the bassist with him. The drummer joined another band, citing an apparent lack of motivation.

Being the primary guitarist/songwriter/producer-wannabe, I've got a half dozen songs I've written using a drum synth, digital modelling amp, and keyboard. They're just sitting there, collecting digital dust on my hard drive.

The bassist's sister started talking to me a couple days ago about thinking it'd be cool if she could sing in a band. So, do you think I should just stick it to the guys and let her work on the songs? It'll probably piss the vocalist off, and the bassist will no doubt question my motives (hanging around his sister, y'know), but I'm caring about it less and less.

it matters, is the sister hot?

UtBDan
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
^ ...it doesn't matter...

joe_17
12-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Corwinoid
If I had a penny for everytime I'd heard somebody say "We need a drummer..."

At that... if I had a penny everytime I'd said "We need a drummer..."

I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have quite a few pennies. The simple solution would be to let another guy take either fillable role, keys or drums, and you fill the other. For X more money you could get a system to do drums/keys for you. For probably less you can get someone who knows how to play but doesn't have a kit, and buy a kit for the band.

Seriously, if you're serious about the entire band thing you've gotta throw some money into it, and I'm sure if you look around there are drummers (you're in school, find a drum major!) around that are available, you just need to look.

i must of forgot to mention that the best drummer in our school is our lead singer and there is only two people in our year that owns a drumkit!!! ME AND HIM

wannaPunk90210
12-06-2004, 01:12 PM
God i wish everyone needed a drummer where i live...cause im a drummer, but nobody seems to need one here..

dmc_74_usa
12-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Ok, here's my scenario:

My band has been together with our current line up since around June. I play guitar, we have another guitarist (who is kinda lead), a bassist, a drummer and a singer. Now the singer can also play guitar, and he's very good. Me and him jam a couple of times and the stuff we write is sick. The problem is our other guitarist can't play the stuff that we write. Another problem with him is his tone is absolutely terrible. He knows nothing about eq or stuff like that so he thinks his tone is good. We all want our singer to be the singer/rhythm guitarist. The thing is we really don't want to kick out the other guitarist cause, aside from him style and tone, he hasn't done anything wrong. He's always the one trying to get us shows and stuff. He loves being in our band. I've been friends with him since the 1st grade (we're graduated now). Him and the bass player have been BEST friends their entire lives. None of us want to hurt his feelings by basically telling him he's not good enough for us. I'm seeing a break up in the band cause our singer is fed up with the situation, and I don't think he can stand our guitarist anymore. Also, our other guitarist has a different idea than us for how the band should sound, but not a really big difference. What are some suggestions for the easiest way to fix our problem?