Give up guitar for drums??

PDA

View Full Version : Give up guitar for drums??

GivingUp
12-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey, I'll keep this short as possible. Well I've been playing guitar for 6 years and I'm by NO MEANS tired of playing.

It's just that everybody that I've come in contact with and tried to start a band with is looking for a drummer. Nobody really looks for guitarists anymore (at least thats what it seems like). The simple truth is that I can't find a band and I've been looking for months!!!!

I already own a drumkit and I've been learning for 5 months now. But anyways, I was think that this might be a good idea to just be a drummer for a while and see how that goes.

I have such an eclectic taste in music that I haven't found ANYONE who can relate to me. So, I think it would be easier as a drummer for because...

1) everybody is looking for a drummer
2) I like playing drums

But how convenient is in when you're traveling alone in your car, with your drums AND your guitar/amp in the back seat?! That's not safe where I come from (Detroit).
My only worries are getting my drums stolen. :eek:

Idk, what do you guys think?

sol-sob-on-pcp
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
move

EDIT: and play both

cthuludawn21
12-22-2009, 11:30 AM
if you have both, play both. just maybe shift your focus to drums for a little while.

Mr.Cuddles
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Idk, what do you guys think?
As A Drummer in a band myself i'm telling you. DO NOT quit Guitar.
play both. i write music, and show the rest of the band how to play my songs, if i didnt have my guitar it would be near impossible.
it is probably my strongest asset that i can play more than 1 instrument.

scguitarking927
12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I actually, just bought a drum set for this reason. I could always play drums and knew my way around a set, and now finally got one to start learning on for the same reason you said. Everybodies looking for a drummer. And I have a lot of fun when I'm drumming and jamming with people.

But don't completely loose focus on guitar. Just dedicate some special time to the drums every day. :peace:

SlackerBabbath
12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Do both.
Rather than classing yourself as a guitarist or a drummer, class yourself as a 'musician'.
Personaly, I've been a bassist, a guitarist, a drummer and a lead vocalist in varius seperate projects.
The secret to finding work in a band is to be willing and able to turn your hand to whatever other people need. That gets you well known, and a decent 'all round' musician is generaly more desirable in a band because they have a better understanding of everyone else's instruments.
Do this and eventualy you'll have built up a pretty decent contact list of musicians and should you ever wish, wish make it easier to put your own project together.

iwannabesedated
12-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Either play drums, or start your own band, so you can play whatever you want.

clayonfire
12-22-2009, 05:21 PM
if you have both, play both. just maybe shift your focus to drums for a little while.

That's a good idea for TS. Start focusing on learning to get your drum playing to a level where you can easily jam with other people. Learn how to play various styles in 4/4 and in 3/4, 6/8, 9/8, 12/8, etc. Then I'd say try to learn some more uncommon time signatures like 5/4, 5/8, 6/4, 7/8, 7/4, and some others. But whatever you do, don't give it guitar completely. Practice it now and then, but I'd say focus a bit on drums if you feel that'd be good. It's good to be proficient on as many instruments as possible.

dst127
12-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Everyone who has said to play both is right on the money.

Playing the drums will make you better at playing the guitar, and vice versa. There is no need to limit yourself to one or the other.

If you want to focus on playing the drums, go for it, but don't give up guitar completely and waste those 6 years that you spent learning it.

Afterhours
12-22-2009, 09:44 PM
I agree......you should play both. It'll make you a better overall musician.

I began my journey into music, playing brass instruments......French Horn, Trombone...etc. Then I picked up and learned to play the guitar....then bass....then drums......and now I'm learning the keyboard. In my opinion, it has made me a better overall musician. The music theories are the same, it's just the unique technical skills for the different instruments need to be developed.

GivingUp
12-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Do both.
Rather than classing yourself as a guitarist or a drummer, class yourself as a 'musician'.
Personaly, I've been a bassist, a guitarist, a drummer and a lead vocalist in varius seperate projects.
The secret to finding work in a band is to be willing and able to turn your hand to whatever other people need. That gets you well known, and a decent 'all round' musician is generaly more desirable in a band because they have a better understanding of everyone else's instruments.
Do this and eventualy you'll have built up a pretty decent contact list of musicians and should you ever wish, wish make it easier to put your own project together.

This was right on the money thanks so much.

But no one has told me their ideas about carrying my drums AND guitar in my van. I'll be moving to a different state soon, but I don't want to sell my guitar, amp, or drums. But I also know that it's not safe to have that stuff sitting in the car for more than an hour.

I can't say that I'll fully trust my roommate either.

Kyle1029384756
12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Man, it must suck where you live if you can't go an hour without someone breaking into your car... If you have a van, put those black curtins over your back windows?

GivingUp
12-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Man, it must suck where you live if you can't go an hour without someone breaking into your car... If you have a van, put those black curtins over your back windows?

Yeah man, I'm not making this up. It sucks where I live. Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. And maybe some kind of fence/gate to put in the back of my van. Idk.
Sucks. :( :(

GivingUp
12-23-2009, 07:51 AM
It's stuff like that that makes me wonder why I even continue to do this, but music is just what I loooove lol

Mr.Cuddles
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
get moving truck or van and then throw everything inside it.

Sulix80
12-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Hey, I'll keep this short as possible. Well I've been playing guitar for 6 years and I'm by NO MEANS tired of playing.

It's just that everybody that I've come in contact with and tried to start a band with is looking for a drummer. Nobody really looks for guitarists anymore (at least thats what it seems like). The simple truth is that I can't find a band and I've been looking for months!!!!

I already own a drumkit and I've been learning for 5 months now. But anyways, I was think that this might be a good idea to just be a drummer for a while and see how that goes.

I have such an eclectic taste in music that I haven't found ANYONE who can relate to me. So, I think it would be easier as a drummer for because...

1) everybody is looking for a drummer
2) I like playing drums

But how convenient is in when you're traveling alone in your car, with your drums AND your guitar/amp in the back seat?! That's not safe where I come from (Detroit).
My only worries are getting my drums stolen. :eek:

Idk, what do you guys think? Well look at this.. A majority of people have guitars and play them. Not many have a drum kit anymore or anything like that. It is mainly your choice BUT drums are made to be a rhythym and background kind of thing. They are not usually meant to be a solo kind of thing until you get known as a drummer. Guitar is great too. But drums are mainly made for background addition. Drums stolen:Is it a reasonably nice kit?

slipknot5678
12-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Well look at this.. A majority of people have guitars and play them. Not many have a drum kit anymore or anything like that. It is mainly your choice BUT drums are made to be a rhythym and background kind of thing. They are not usually meant to be a solo kind of thing until you get known as a drummer. Guitar is great too. But drums are mainly made for background addition. Drums stolen:Is it a reasonably nice kit?

No member of the band is just supposed to be in the background, I don't care how much hate I get for saying that. I don't think you should simply "give up" guitar, just try drums, if you stick with it, good for you.

eaton1012
12-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Make the switch. I see nothing to lose from it if you enjoy drums too.

its_alive
12-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Give it a shot, I suppose.
I've been getting into drums too, but its still just been something on the side opposed to guitar which I play primarily.
Keep playing guitar, though. Having more than one instrument under your belt will definitely help you out with forming bands, or even credibility as a musician in general.
Good luck, man.

MR. Goodcents
12-30-2009, 02:00 AM
I did the same things started on guitar, and my friend played guitar also. We wanted to start a band and couldn't find a bassist, so I began playing bass, then the drummer left, and I moved to drums. It is now my favorite to play, but I still play all three pretty often. So just do both, and if you find a band that needs whatever, then you have the skills to fill the spot.

How would your drums get stolen? You should not leave them in your car ever! Weather is not friendly to drums and you should try to avoid extreme heat, or cold in your case. They should be in your house, or at wherever you are practicing and then take them home after you are done. I don't know if you have an expensive set but I do, and you need to take car of it like any other instrument.