How to stop a white guitar from turning yellow so soon?

PDA

View Full Version : How to stop a white guitar from turning yellow so soon?

gisobon
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
hey people,so yeah basically how do i prevent my white guitar from turning yellow so soon? i polish it with dunlop 65 guitar polish. is that good enough?

DarkValo666
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Probably not, because the yellow color is in the paint, not on it.

TheCrowing2113
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I think sunlight/uv light when exposed somehow bleaches it. Do you keep it covered or keep it in the case when not in use?

azn_guitarist25
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
How old is your current guitar?

RazzleMCR1
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Yea dont leave it in too much light. It will fade the white color.

link no1
12-22-2009, 01:51 PM
bleach

it kills everything and turns everything white

jeffc313
12-22-2009, 01:53 PM
sorry for the hijack, but my "mystic white" heartfield is now a gross yellow, any way of restoring it to white, or is too late?

)Eric(Draven
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Motor oil and dog urine. Try it. For real.

Shaggy_420
12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
if its real bad i'd just strip the paint sand it down and paint it again
it'll look brand new

'93
12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
keep it out of light

gisobon
12-23-2009, 04:20 AM
nah i don't keep my guitar in the case when i'm not using it. i kinda drape a cloth over it about 1 hour after i polish my guitar. i think one hour everyday is enough to kill my guitar. :D

erm my guitar is about 3 weeks old? i live in asia so i guess the concentration of sunlight is higher than in the states.

JAHellraiser
12-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Put it in the damn case, a cloth isnt gonna protect it.

Besides leaving it in an air-tight class case for display, Im not sure theres much you can do from keeping it going just a tiny bit yellow.

Flux'D
12-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Assuming from your username it's some Gibson guitar, which means it's a nitro finish.

1. Don't play in bars with said guitar, cigarette smoke will turn it yellow
2. After long periods of play be sure to wipe it down, sweat will turn it yellow
3. Keep it out of direct sunlight, UV rays causes pigments to fade with time and turn white to yellow
4. If it's already yellow and it's bothering you, depending on the guitar you can buff out the topmost layer of finish to expose unyellowed finish located underneath it.

White guitars are some of the most dificult to keep their color, especially when it's an actively used instrument. Black is ridiculously hard to keep clean as well and I'll never own another black guitar again

JohnnyV
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Excessive UV light and smoking around it will turn it pretty much brown. Also, if any of the white is plastic it will probably just naturally "yellow" over time.

[VictorinoX]
12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
This why you buy your Gibson in Heritage Cherry finish :D

tommyt
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
(looks at perfectly white epi)

No idea mate but whatever I'm doing it's working.

kthxbi
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
(looks at perfectly white epi)

No idea mate but whatever I'm doing it's working.
could be wrong but my understanding of that would be that epis probably use a cheaper (thicker) lacquer which i dont really know the specifics of but basically ive always heard means that the cheaper guitars (epis, squiers, mex fenders etc) dont get that 'roadworn' look so easy as the better finished guitars, they just chip in chunks instead.
but maybe im wrong.

tommyt
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM
could be wrong but my understanding of that would be that epis probably use a cheaper (thicker) lacquer which i dont really know the specifics of but basically ive always heard means that the cheaper guitars (epis, squiers, mex fenders etc) dont get that 'roadworn' look so easy as the better finished guitars, they just chip in chunks instead.
but maybe im wrong.

Possibly, still looks the same as it did when it left the factory in 04 tbh.

Come to think of it no white guitar I've owned or belonged to a friend of mine has ever experienced this yellowing that people seem to go on about.

gisobon
12-23-2009, 11:10 AM
o.0? tommyt,what's that that you do? oh and people,mine's a schecter. is it the same finish as a gibson?

tommyt
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
o.0? tommyt,what's that that you do? oh and people,mine's a schecter. is it the same finish as a gibson?

I don't really do anything with them, they're usually out of the case, exposed to sunlight I guess. (not that much direct sunshine here though) Both my Epi and Jackson get gigged with frequently, erm ... they get cleaned down when the strings are changed and thats about it.

No particular care routine for them, they just don't turn yellow.

Is yours actually turning yellow or are you just worried about it?

gisobon
12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
hey dudes, is there a difference between the dunlop cloth and the planet waves cloth? apart from the fact that planetwave is a microfibre cloth and dunlop is , i ain't sure.

jpnyc
12-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Thereís really not much you can do, this is just the natural effect of chemicals in the finish reacting with each other.

Color shift is just a fact of life with plastic/polymer gray and white consumer goods. The chemicals on the market change faster than most manufacturers can keep up with them. Its hard, if not impossible, to find a stable paint mix because the only way to really test them is to use them and check samples every year to find out what works, and one only knows what worked years later when the same chemicals arenít available (at least not in quantities small enough for guitar makers to order).

gisobon
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Assuming from your username it's some Gibson guitar, which means it's a nitro finish.

White guitars are some of the most dificult to keep their color, especially when it's an actively used instrument. Black is ridiculously hard to keep clean as well and I'll never own another black guitar again

hey dude why is black ridiculously hard to keep clean? i was thinking of a black gibson standard before and i'm considering that for my next guitar. any reasons why i shouldn't get a black guitar?

Talentless
12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Black just tends to show finger marks and stuff more, oh and dust. They are a nightmare to keep clean looking because of this fact, but i like my guitar looking mucky and molested.....

VanTheKraut
12-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Motor oil and dog urine. Try it. For real.
This is not the Pit. If you want to act like an idiot, go there.

cranium2001
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Seriously you should just play the guitar and let it age how ever it's going to age. I'm not saying to slam it on the floor or drop it on purpose but aging gives it character. Don't worry about it.

Distortion Dave
12-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Seriously you should just play the guitar and let it age how ever it's going to age. I'm not saying to slam it on the floor or drop it on purpose but aging gives it character. Don't worry about it.

I will second that, I have had my gibson nighthawk over 10 years now and the finish is really tatty but when i look at it i know every mark has been made by me and its unique because of the way its aged.

Gargoyle2500
12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Just so you know what you're dealing with, Yellowing is likely in the clear coats of paint. Not the white paint itself. So just wipe it down with a Blitz instrument care cloth every so often and it'll help but if I were you I wouldn't mind if it turned yellow. It would be too much of a hassle to get it refinished and the refinish may end up changing the tone. Perhaps not so much that you'd notice it but I'd just leave the finish unless someone ties it up to a car and drags it on the road.

Flux'D
12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
hey dude why is black ridiculously hard to keep clean? i was thinking of a black gibson standard before and i'm considering that for my next guitar. any reasons why i shouldn't get a black guitar?

They show dust, fingerprints, scuff marks, dirt, etc really well just like a black vehicle. Also if there's a slight imperfection with the guitar the black will show it off even more in light. It will take some years before your guitar will start to yellow, look around on Ebay for older Gibson guitars finished in white. It's not really yellow but more of an off-white/cream color

al112987
12-23-2009, 01:21 PM
o.0? tommyt,what's that that you do? oh and people,mine's a schecter. is it the same finish as a gibson?I imagine that Schecter uses polyurethane finishes, it's not going to yellow like a Gibson will.

azn_guitarist25
12-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Possibly, still looks the same as it did when it left the factory in 04 tbh.

Come to think of it no white guitar I've owned or belonged to a friend of mine has ever experienced this yellowing that people seem to go on about.

Yeah but mine will never turn yellow it'll just turn into black. I've seens pics some where of an old ESP Hanneman sig and the ****er is incredibly yellow. I'll see if I can dig them up and show you.

LPstudioWRz28
12-24-2009, 03:27 AM
it just happens, especially if the white guitars around smoke alot, the nicotine will definitely make it yellow

i was surprised to see how quickly it affects the guitars, everybody in my house smokes. I pulled my strat out of the box jan 19'th 2009 and when i take the back plate off it's slightly whiter looking under that particular spot than the rest of the guitar

just play your guitar man, and if it happens it happens. it gives the guitar character really

Bitches nBagels
12-24-2009, 03:30 AM
so if that gibson/epi is a nitro finish, then would a polyurethane finish on a strat turn yellow very fast? Polyurethane is more durable so maybe its more resistant to yellowing?

gisobon
12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah but mine will never turn yellow it'll just turn into black. I've seens pics some where of an old ESP Hanneman sig and the ****er is incredibly yellow. I'll see if I can dig them up and show you.

oh sure thanks. thanks guys for all of your advice. i think smoke will turn it yellow too.i've been to pubs a few times and i noticed it turning yellow.hey dudes by the way,a few shops in my country,sells gibson guitars and how is it that some gibson guitars are more expansive the the other. for example,one shop sells this gibson studio.(white) at 3000 bucks another shop sells this gibson at 980 bucks, and i swear to God they look exactly the same.so what's the difference? are there like,'fake' gibsons flying around??

flanders_91
12-24-2009, 11:51 AM
i've had my white guitar for over a year and never noticed any "yellowing" or anything. still looks perfect white. not long enough maybe? it sits out all the time, and i dont polish it or anything.

I am wet
12-24-2009, 12:56 PM
the yellow makes a white guitar even sexier than it was before. and thats hard to do.

ChuggyMcBr00tlz
12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
so if that gibson/epi is a nitro finish, then would a polyurethane finish on a strat turn yellow very fast? Polyurethane is more durable so maybe its more resistant to yellowing?

Yes it's funny how the cheaper finish (poly) is less sensitive to fading. It doesn't wear as easy either.

When you have a nitrocellouse finish you have to be very careful the strap over a short period of time alone will mess it up.

I prfer the aged yellowy white too. it's sexy.

LifeIsABullet16
12-24-2009, 04:22 PM
strange. i had an RG570 in white for at least 2 years, kept it in a gig bag for the first year and a half of it's life, and the last 6 months i had the thing it just sad on a stand so i could grab it whenever i wanted. where it was in my room sunlight would hit it late in the day. never yellowed even a tiny bit. plus who knows what happened to it before i had it! the thing was made in 1993. probably just the thicker finish / clear coat from ibanez. no idea.

anyway, i'll second those who said let it age. i'm all for a natural "relic" look. nothing looks more classy than a guitar with true battle scars!

Symphony21
12-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Both black and white guitars seem to get dirty/otherwise messed up pretty easily. Unless you like the battle scars you're better off going for another color.

MrFlibble
12-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I got as far as reading people talking about using polish on a nitro guitar and I had to stop reading. It's too painful.

You bought a white guitar? It's going to yellow and anything you do to try to stop it will only either speed up the yellowing or outright damage and mark the guitar itself. You have a nitro finish? It's going to happen even faster.

LPstudioWRz28
12-24-2009, 07:27 PM
sorry for the hijack, but my "mystic white" heartfield is now a gross yellow, any way of restoring it to white, or is too late?

next time you change your strings...

try using a medium/heavy automotive polishing compound, apply a decent amount, but not too much as to make it a sloppy mess, let it dry to a haze and than buff that bitch! it should help

BrockTandem
12-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I actually really like the slightly worn looking yellowing of white guitars.

Dezerado
12-25-2009, 12:21 AM
i'd say repaint it with that Spray on Bed lining they put in the back of Trucks .... that way nothing will ever harm it .... Rihno all the way man

ThEgAmE93
03-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I need help too.My Ibanez GIO is turning yellow after not even 3 months of using it.When im not using it,i kept it in the bag.But it still turns yellow.I need some help restoring it back to pure white please.Thank you.

3-R4Z0R
03-13-2010, 12:24 PM
It must be in the clear coat of the guitar, otherwise Polyurethane guitars wouldn't keep their white color that long.

This is not the Pit. If you want to act like an idiot, go there.
It may sound very weird with dog urine, but what he said actually helps on yellowed plastic. Read the articles linked on this page (http://hackaday.com/2009/03/02/restoring-yellowed-computer-plastics/), there it says that the most probable factor to having plastic turn yellow and brown is that the Bromine separates from the plastic structure. I don't know, but maybe there's a slight amount of Bromine in a Nitro finish, so that's why it simply will turn yellow after some time. Polyurethane doesn't have that, as it seems.

I don't know if those thechniques applied on plastic will work on nitro too, but if you have an old guitar that you're anyways wanting to repaint, it might be worth a try and post the results.

Ippon
03-13-2010, 01:14 PM
hey people,so yeah basically how do i prevent my white guitar from turning yellow so soon? i polish it with dunlop 65 guitar polish. is that good enough?It'll be difficult to prevent it; however, you can slow it down a bit or minimize it. Store it in the case when not in use.

:cheers:

333maxwell
03-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Uhhh..

You do realize the 'yellowing' (the guitars patina *L*) is highly desirable.

People actually attack their guitars with blow torches and soak parts in coffee to yellow them by intent..

Go with it.. let her yellow..