Leaving...

PDA

View Full Version : Leaving...

ohhey9040
12-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Alright, I've got a problem. Late last spring I joined a band with a couple of people I had met who were going to music school with me (which is 2000 miles away I might add). The music is piano pop in the style of Ben Folds, Elton John, etc. and I don't really care much for it but the musicians are really good and the band is really tight so I kept with it.

When we moved away we kept the band going and as we've progressed I've found it to be creatively stifling and me and the main songwriter/bandleader just don't see eye to eye on a lot of things band and music related. He is looking to make a career out of this band and I know that if I were to do that, I wouldn't be happy at all and so after mulling it over long and hard, I've decided that I am going to leave the band sooner rather then later seeing as it will be better for both parties. The problem is finding a good exit strategy because despite the fact we don't gel musically, they're good people and I don't want to completely screw them over.

I know I'm not going to leave before Jan. 4th because there is a big hometown gig that we've been preparing for a while and will pay quite handsomely ($100-$200 a person, possibly more depending o attendance). After that, we get back to school in the middle of January and have a gig on Feb 3rd. I'm trying to figure out a way to leave in-between that time (though I might play the Feb gig if they can't find someone in time) that won't screw over both parties. Can anyone give me advice?

IsaacDeano93
12-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Talk it over with the band, say what you just said and work out a compromise just in case.

huskyplayer
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
^ that

JAHellraiser
12-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Talk it over with the band, say what you just said and work out a compromise just in case.
Definately this. That way you can work out performing the gig(s) and they can work on finding a replacement

kibatsume
12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
What was just said, but you should tell them soon so that they can work on finding a replacement, so they dont have a month of down time after you leave trying to find a replacement.

soundgarden19
12-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I say finish all the gigs that you have booked, and don't book any more. Tell them you are quitting after all the gigs are done.

QuantumMechanix
12-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Just tell them what you told us. You're not leaving to screw them over and as long as they know that and you follow through with the next couple gigs you should be fine

lespaul1216
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM
"It's not you, it's me"

... wait that actually fits your situation quite well...