Moving out of state

View Full Version : Moving out of state

12-25-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm gonna be moving this coming March to a different state (Chicago) to get my music career going. I really want to find some people to start a band with who are musically like-minded.

Anyway, long story short....what are some things that I need to do BEFORE I move, in terms of my music.

When I get there, I want to be on an independent label and get distributed. That's my main goal.

So what are some things that you think I should do while I'm still here? You know, to prepare?

12-25-2009, 07:17 AM
look for a place to stay

12-25-2009, 01:49 PM
my future step brother works as a studio musician in chicago as a drummer, if you meet some guy named freddie who fits discription good luck

12-25-2009, 03:30 PM
can someone give me some better advice?

12-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Become part of the local craigslist community there online, go to local shows, find a decent part time job with hours that fit a music schedule for practicing and gigging.

12-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Well first of all, Chicago isn't a state, it's a city.

You should try to get familiar with the music scene there. Look online for popular places there that have live music and see what kind of music they play.

12-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Cool, I was actually planning on moving out to Chicago once I'm done with highschool . The advice I got from my teachers was to hang around recording studios and give them your name, getting to know people is the best way to get your name out.