How many songs in a demo?

PDA

View Full Version : How many songs in a demo?

Wretched_Spawn
12-25-2009, 03:11 PM
How many songs should normally be on a demo? This is just for the purpose of creating the bands initial sound, not for being sent to labels or anything like that.

silent caution
12-25-2009, 03:17 PM
if all the songs sound similar(one style you guys do good and thats the core sound) 3 should do it..but if you got something different to throw in then 4 even 5

ChrisN
12-25-2009, 03:20 PM
If it's not, as you say, for sending to labels etc, as many as you want to; there are no rules.

Funkicker
12-25-2009, 03:23 PM
less is more, you want to make people curious so they'll want to hear more songs and thus come to your shows
personally i always say no less than 3, no more than 5

Samzawadi
12-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Depends on how much time, effort and money you're prepared to put into recording. If you're giving a CD away for free, people aren't going to expect very much - four songs is perfectly acceptable and normal. What's more likely to impress a potential fan is not number of songs, but the quality of recording and the songs being demonstrated.

I'd recommend picking your four best songs, the ones that everyone in the band is passionate about and which demonstrate the band's sound best. Spend some time and effort practicing them, get them worked out precisely, then record them for a demo. That's enough to give people a flavour of your live show, hopefully hook a few fans (there's some local/small scale bands I really like purely on the strength of their demos), and yet not waste too much money.

Wretched_Spawn
12-26-2009, 08:04 AM
BTW, all of this stuff is for a solo project that I don't plan on taking out and gigging with.

SaulnierE
12-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Three works pretty well.

JackFlash19
12-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Three or 5. Four is just an odd number. What do you plan on doing with the demo if you don't plan on gigging with it? If you're looking to sell it, or even just post it online, it needs to be quality over quantity. Unless you just don't really care, then the number of songs that goes on a demo can be however many you want it to be.

ncregan
12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I would say 5 is plenty, but what do you mean when you say demo if your not going to send it off to record companies. If it is just for the purpose of you and your band mates then just record as many songs as you have completed. If however your planning on giving them to your fans then my advice is not to make copies of CD's. Sure make one or two for your band mates but overall record the songs and send them to fans using some form of technology. You would be spending alot of money if you made lots of copies of your demo and gave them out free to your fans.

Niall
:peace:

its_alive
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I actually just recorded my first demo with my band today and we put 5 songs on. Its a quick listen, and it definitely gives a good taste of what the band is about.
I'd say atleast 4. Max...7? I don't really know but it's gotta be enough material to define your band, but I'd want someone to listen to it all the way through.

Crizzle
12-31-2009, 06:04 AM
I actually just recorded my first demo with my band today and we put 5 songs on. Its a quick listen, and it definitely gives a good taste of what the band is about.
I'd say atleast 4. Max...7? I don't really know but it's gotta be enough material to define your band, but I'd want someone to listen to it all the way through.

Max 7? i dont know man that seem slike full album length almost Master of Puppets only had eight songs on it if I remember. I would go with 3.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-31-2009, 06:52 AM
How many songs should normally be on a demo? This is just for the purpose of creating the bands initial sound, not for being sent to labels or anything like that.BTW, all of this stuff is for a solo project that I don't plan on taking out and gigging with.Demo is short for demonstrator. You use it to show (demonstrate) someone what you're capable of. You aren't gonna shop it around to labels and you aren't gonna gig, so you won't be showing it to club owners. Who is going to hear this?

Wretched_Spawn
12-31-2009, 07:06 AM
The demo for the solo project would be put online for people to listen, and, if I could get session musicians, I'd try some gigging.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
The demo for the solo project would be put online for people to listen, and, if I could get session musicians, I'd try some gigging.Session musicians are expensive. This is unlike a normal band. They get paid scale for their time, regardless of what they're doing. Are you sure that's what you're looking for? Maybe you're actually looking for band members who will back you.

Anyway, if you're just looking to draw interest in a project, 2 or 3 songs is plenty.
But if you're using the recordings as a "map" for your musicians, so they'll have a starting point for your songs, you'll need a recording for each song you plan to have them do. Probably a lot easier to just write out the charts to serve that function.

Northernmight
01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
.. about 4 will do.. If you play noisecore tho'.. 60.. (That is not even a lie.. Check it out.. just discovered that genre.. IT LITERALLY IS JUST NOISE, and they put bloody 60 songs on a demo xD and 300 on an album.. has to be many discs..)

Sonic Blast
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Max 7? i dont know man that seem slike full album length almost Master of Puppets only had eight songs on it if I remember. I would go with 3.

Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick was one song :p:

3 to 5 is good. 5 does give more of an impression of your band, but it does cost more and will take more effort. But in the end it just matters what you are doing it for.

lockwolf
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Typically, you want to take 3 of your best songs that show who you truly are.

Also, track order means a lot too. Obviously, the first track has to hook them in right away. The second track has to keep them listening. The final track should leave them with a bang so they remember you.