Tracks for live music?

PDA

View Full Version : Tracks for live music?

Mekchrious
12-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I live in a smaller town and finding other musicians has proven difficult. So far our band consists of me, on guitar and vox, and my drummer, who also does vox. We have a live show coming up, our first, and we are well prepared, but our music sounds a little empty, for obvious reasons. So should we just go with guitar and drums, or should I record a backing track? I'm good enough at bass and piano and guitar to put in a backing track to fill out our music more, but would this work well? I'm thinking just run it through an MP3 player and a DI box on stage. That way I can just hit play, and the tracks will be customized so we know when everything is. I have a decent recording setup on my computer to create this tracks. Think this is a good idea or not? Comments? Discussion?

dmiwshicldply
12-25-2009, 07:43 PM
well the problem is here, is your going to have to be spot on. You have no room to speed up or slow down at all. So your going to have to be extremely tight. There is nothing really wrong with just guitar and drums, if you want to sound like just guitar and drums i.e black keys and the white stripes both pull it off in different ways and both pull it off good. Its just all about what you want. It is possible to do backing tracks but just remember that its going to be a lot of work to get that tight and to stay that tight every time.

I personally wouldnt play with backing tracks but ive seen it done and ive seen it done well, but ive never seen it to the extent your talking about. However it should work if you work hard enough at it.

Mekchrious
12-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I mean it usually sounds alright except when I try and solo and it sounds really empty during those periods which is mostly why I'm asking.

Ghast
12-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Pink Floyd did it while originally touring The Wall. They all played to a click track.

Td_Nights
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
You can do it if you practice hard enough to stay in time.

For a number of years now Buckethead has just performed by himself on guitar to backingtracks. Of course he does a number of other things at his shows to keep it from seeming like it's boring/just a routine, but that part's totally up to you.

darthbuttchin
12-27-2009, 06:17 AM
I mean it usually sounds alright except when I try and solo and it sounds really empty during those periods which is mostly why I'm asking.

Try using gear like fuzz pedals and the like, to 'beef' up your sound. That might make things seem less thin. Also, during those solo parts, make sure the drummers drumming loud enough and not jazz style, otherwise its gonna sound weedy.

db

SomeoneYouKnew
12-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Good idea? Could be. But you could easily get carried away with this and overdo it. Add too much or have it very present in the mix, and it just looks like you're "playing along" to a recording. A little could add a lot. But a lot could appear phony.

No matter what happens, the focus need to remain on the live performers.

dmiwshicldply
12-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Good idea? Could be. But you could easily get carried away with this and overdo it. Add too much or have it very present in the mix, and it just looks like you're "playing along" to a recording. A little could add a lot. But a lot could appear phony.

No matter what happens, the focus need to remain on the live performers.

Exactly.

I think the best thing you can do in this situation is to find a keyboardist. They're a little easier to find than a bassist and can do a lot for your sound. They could run samples, play basslines and add a little rhythm chords to compliment your solos

Mekchrious
12-28-2009, 04:37 AM
WE've worked with a couple keyboardists actually but none have been sufficient in style or time willing to play. I'll be moving to a bigger city soon hopefully I can hook up with some more people there.

dmiwshicldply
12-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Im thinking a good loop pedal would suit your needs nicely. that way it keeps the focus on the live performace but can give you a little depth when you want to step up and solo

Declan87
12-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I've seen some people play to backing tracks and often it feels like watching karaoke. There's a fantastic band I know called Bare Audio, who are just guitar and drums, and their guitarist plays basslines and chords at the same time, like lots of acoustic players do, to fill out the sound, and if you closed your eyes you'd swear there was a bass there.

On the other hand, there's a great Irish drummer called Rarely Seen Above Ground, who plays and sings to a recording of himself, but he has it set up so that trippy, artsy videos of him playing are on in the background, and its all extremely effective. He also plays with an oil can as part of his kit tho, so you might want to look into that ;)

Mekchrious
12-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Well we decided until we find more people we are going to do acoustic guitar and full drumkit. Thanks for all the input guys!