How much do you get paid at gigs?

PDA

View Full Version : How much do you get paid at gigs?

MR. Goodcents
12-27-2009, 02:38 AM
So? On average how much do you get paid for playing a show? Just wondering what the norm is because I am new to getting paid to play. We got 400 for the band tonight.

Artemis Entreri
12-27-2009, 02:52 AM
I tend to get up to about 200. But I play in a...non-professional band. The singer and I are good and the drummer is solid but nothing special. Our rhythm guitar player and bassist have only been playing a few months.

CODE
12-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Wow, that is a good show. We have gotten anywhere from $200 to nothing. We used to get nothing unless we played in our hometown because the only other places we could get booked are shitty youth centers. We have gotten some better shows recently where we actually get gas money and some extra, like an average of $40.

We always try to get paid, but we don't let it stop us from playing shows. We just did a show like 4 hours away out of state for no money. And we got a parking ticket, so we lost a ton of money. Still a sweet show, worth it.

SSDDPunkRocker
12-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Our band (and the bands we normally play with) don't even care about money. Sure, it's cool if we get a few bucks, but that'll just either go to eating after the show or towards the "guild bank" (that will go to recording and merch). We've made about $30 after eight shows so far. Not totally bad for a crappy hardcore band. ;)

Crizzle
12-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Our band (and the bands we normally play with) don't even care about money. Sure, it's cool if we get a few bucks, but that'll just either go to eating after the show or towards the "guild bank" (that will go to recording and merch). We've made about $30 after eight shows so far. Not totally bad for a crappy hardcore band. ;)

We need Bus/Train/Taxi fare :haha: More so Taxi seeing as buses and trains aint so bad :p:

chokmool
12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't think there really is a norm. I know a cover band that plays weddings and big private parties, and they can take down $2-3K/gig. If you play bars and clubs(3-4 hours), probably $200-$500. If you're playing with other bands to fill the time, you'll get little to nothing, unless you arrange/headline the show. If you're in charge, you decide what to pay the other bands.

I'd say you did pretty well at $400.

CODE
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM

What's your band called? I am also from Minnesota, we might have crossed paths at a show or something. Mine is myspace.com/torobathief

krehzeekid
12-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I play in a functions band and, as stated above, we tend to make a little more. We average about $2000 a night but have made up to $4000 for festivals (we are a ukrainian band, which is in extremely high demand in western Canada). That being said, everybody in the band is a trained musician (all of us save for me has a university degree concerning music) and we all have 15+ years experience, so we are less of a liability than other bands. When we play as a rock/metal band (we cut 2 members and go as a trio under a different name) we still manage to pull in no less than $1500 for a night.

If you want to make more money, market yourselves as something more than dudes who play music: get fans, have a cool stage show or anything else that sets you apart from the mass of other bands.

WyvernOmega
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I play in a functions band and, as stated above, we tend to make a little more. We average about $2000 a night but have made up to $4000 for festivals (we are a ukrainian band, which is in extremely high demand in western Canada). That being said, everybody in the band is a trained musician (all of us save for me has a university degree concerning music) and we all have 15+ years experience, so we are less of a liability than other bands. When we play as a rock/metal band (we cut 2 members and go as a trio under a different name) we still manage to pull in no less than $1500 for a night.

If you want to make more money, market yourselves as something more than dudes who play music: get fans, have a cool stage show or anything else that sets you apart from the mass of other bands.
What's your band's name!?

Roxor_Mc0wnage
12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
When we first started playing since we are an all original band, we played for peanuts (figuratively speaking), but after a while when we had a little bit of name and song recognition, we quit playing for less than $500 for a 1 hour set. It went up for out of town gigs. I know that is far from the norm, but we valued what we did, and until you value yourself, don't expect others to, I always say. $400 is pretty good all in all for a gig IMO.

Some buddies of mine are in an original band and they pull down $1500 for a 1 hour set nearly every night, but that includes full lights and sound production. That is way above norm I'd say but they have been at it a long while.

Morid
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Here in Egypt there's one main venue that most bands play at. The band gets half of the money made that night, and the venue gets the other half. A ticket is a little less than $5. So the more people you bring the more money you make.

Silveroon009
12-28-2009, 04:29 PM
You guys get paid? What do I have to do to get paid? Or do I have to like become well known or anything?

Afterhours
12-28-2009, 04:44 PM
It varies depending on the venue and what's negotiated. My band normally gets $600 per gig, but sometimes we also get a percentage of the bar sales.....typically 10%.

That can be pretty good if the crowd is large and thirsty....:)

Declan87
12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
100-200 a night. Hoping to get slightly more for our next gig in a more popular pub.

lespaul1216
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
nothing, i do it for the love of the music...

okay, actually the only gig i've ever played was opening up for a band from my high school and we didn't sell enough tickets pre-sale for them to pay us...

axemanchris
12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
There are SO many variables, but there are some generalizations:

1. Original bands without an established name (ie. radio and video play, signed to a major label, etc.) make the least. We made anywhere from $50 to $700 for a show. Most of them were in the $100-$200 range. (with some radio play even!) Expect to play for anywhere from 6-60 people for the lower end, depending on a lot of factors. It is difficult to get people to come out - and stay - for a band they've never heard of, and who plays songs the people have never heard.

2. Cover bands make more because they're an easier sell, and therefore draw a bigger crowd. Around here, $400-$600 is the norm for a night's work. (for the band, not each) People will stay and drink when you fly out "Do You Want to Be My Girl?" by Jet or whatever.

3. Tribute bands, for similar reasons, do slightly better than 'regular' cover bands, and may do considerably better, depending on name recognition, production value, etc. Maybe $600-$1000, but could be less or even considerably more.

4. Weddings and corporate gigs pay the best. Usually $1000+. You establish a reputation and you're hired (or more to the point, SELECTED) for the event. The organizers bring the audience, but you are expected to play to suit them. Chosen smartly, that will be the reason they picked you - because of your setlist and your reputation to play it well.

CT

scguitarking927
12-29-2009, 12:15 AM
We average like $50 with the most being $100 :peace: . There's really only one place to play in my town for newer unsigned bands, and you play a 30 minutes set with 3 or 4 other bands. Then you get a percentage of the door sales depending on who came to see you (they ask who your here to see when you walk in)

So $400 for a gig would be doing fairly well in my book.

brysonisbeast
12-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I've never gotten paid before but then again I don't think any church band ever gets paid.

MR. Goodcents
12-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks for replies guys. Like I said just curious? And for those of you who say for the love of music, come on if someone said here take this money after playing a show you wouldn't turn it down :haha:

octavarium78
12-29-2009, 02:49 AM
depends on how many presales we sale..

Lt.DanHasLegs
12-29-2009, 03:03 AM
My band made 140+ tonight, and i consider that a success. I'm really surprised to see all these freakin 500 dollar numbers thrown around, I didn't think that even happened for moderate warped tour level bands when they try to tour.

SSDDPunkRocker
12-29-2009, 09:01 AM
What's your band called? I am also from Minnesota, we might have crossed paths at a show or something. Mine is myspace.com/torobathief

Our name is Ateeth: www.myspace.com/ateeth

I think maybe we've talked on MySpace or something at one point or another, because your band sounds familiar. Hmm.

Thanks for replies guys. Like I said just curious? And for those of you who say for the love of music, come on if someone said here take this money after playing a show you wouldn't turn it down :haha:

Actually, we've been able to keep all of the money one night because the headliners are really good friends of ours and just wanted to play, so they turned it down and gave the cash to us. Sure, it wasn't a lot, but it was a good gesture showing thanks for getting them on the bill.

CODE
12-29-2009, 06:39 PM
There are SO many variables, but there are some generalizations:

1. Original bands without an established name (ie. radio and video play, signed to a major label, etc.) make the least. We made anywhere from $50 to $700 for a show. Most of them were in the $100-$200 range. (with some radio play even!) Expect to play for anywhere from 6-60 people for the lower end, depending on a lot of factors. It is difficult to get people to come out - and stay - for a band they've never heard of, and who plays songs the people have never heard.
CT
Was your band on a major label, Chris?

axemanchris
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Goodness, no....

We were much too old by the time we got our stuff together to even think about that. I was the youngest, and I was 36 when we released the CD.

Not only that, we all have pretty secure jobs and wives and families and stuff. Realistically, even if we got signed, I would be looking at a pay cut and no job security or benefits instead of the guaranteed professional income, economy-proof job security and solid benefits I have now. Taking a chance on that sort of thing when you're single is one thing. Risking the livelihood of your three kids is another thing entirely.

CT

dlguitarmaster7
12-29-2009, 10:17 PM
we got a whopping $35 at our last gig

CODE
12-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Goodness, no....

We were much too old by the time we got our stuff together to even think about that. I was the youngest, and I was 36 when we released the CD.

Not only that, we all have pretty secure jobs and wives and families and stuff. Realistically, even if we got signed, I would be looking at a pay cut and no job security or benefits instead of the guaranteed professional income, economy-proof job security and solid benefits I have now. Taking a chance on that sort of thing when you're single is one thing. Risking the livelihood of your three kids is another thing entirely.

CT
Gotcha, that makes sense.