I need advice on what I should do in this situation.

PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on what I should do in this situation.

BK202
12-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Okay, I'm having a few problems with my band, and I need advice on what I should do. So in my willingness to be in a band, I joined a punk band. First of all, punk is not my ideal style of music. I think they have horrid songwriting techniques, and they don't care if it is sh*t because it is punk. They recorded without me and just did guitars, drums, and vocals, because they do all their recording live, not separating the tracking out.

They call and spring practice on me out of nowhere, especially when they tell me there's no practice all week. Well enough b*tching, on to the reasons I shouldn't quit. I like 90's emo, and I want a band that sounds like Sunny Day Real Estate or Texas is the Reason. NO ONE in high school in at least a 30 mile radius of me likes the same style (exaggerated, I know). I want to establish my place on the local music scene, and this might be a good way to do it, as I don't really have any other connections. I don't want to be known just among the punk community though.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I quit? Should I stay? Thanks in advance.

Swannie
12-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Get out of the punk band. Form your own, join a blues band, make youtube videos. But get out of the punk band.

julzius
12-30-2009, 02:40 AM
If they band gives you the shits and you don't like thier music or recording techniques. Why stay?

Put up some advertisments for your 90s emo band and see if anyone calls, and whilst waiting for that call you could stay with the punk band?

Toodles!

Swannie
12-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Also, encourage your friends to play an instrument or listen to your music. My best friend's iPod is full of songs that he only knows cuz of me :) and we jam to them now.

flemjammin
12-30-2009, 02:46 AM
well i would say if your not happy then quit. no point in keeping with it if your not having fun. as for getting known on the music scene, post some flyers or something at local music stores saying that your looking to make a band that plays <insert genre here>. you might find someone else that likes the same style of music as you. whatever you decide though, good luck with it

SkAsupafly
12-30-2009, 02:52 AM
I'd start a sdre/texas band with you. hahha :] let me know if you get that going.

Jack Darkley
12-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Well, I'd prefer hard rock and metal, but I'm in a blues rock band right now and I'm fine with that because I just want to make music. Ultimately it's about if you can get along with your bandmates and you like the music you are doing. Obviously, you don't like punk, but if it's a chore sharing the stage with these guys then just leave and try and start your own band.

isabiggles
12-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Dude, that's just the punk way.

Just go with it.

axemanchris
12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
He's in a punk band AND selling out!!

Seriously.... it's not what you want, and they're not the people you want to work with, so stop. You're gaining nothing, and sacrificing your personal ideals and goals (and arguably even your pride) for it.

I assume you're the bass player? Bass players can find bands easy enough. They're the second hardest thing to find after singers, so they're in demand.

I mean, how stupid of them to record a demo, live off the floor, when a supposed key element of the band isn't even there? It sounds to me that they don't want you either.

Just go.

CT

Mr.Cuddles
12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I assume you're the bass player? Bass players can find bands easy enough. They're the second hardest thing to find after singers, so they're in demand.

+1
but i have more trouble finding guitarists than singers.
my band was started by me(drums) my signer/keyboardist and a guitarist
finding a good second guitarist and bassist (in our genre[alternative rock]) seems near impossible.
which is why we are sucking it up and recording those ourselves.

shouldn't be too hard for you to find a band if you play bass.

isabiggles
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
He's in a punk band AND selling out!!

Seriously.... it's not what you want, and they're not the people you want to work with, so stop. You're gaining nothing, and sacrificing your personal ideals and goals (and arguably even your pride) for it.

I assume you're the bass player? Bass players can find bands easy enough. They're the second hardest thing to find after drummers, so they're in demand.

I mean, how stupid of them to record a demo, live off the floor, when a supposed key element of the band isn't even there? It sounds to me that they don't want you either.

Just go.

CT

Fixed.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
So in my willingness to be in a band, I joined a punk band. First of all, punk is not my ideal style of music. I think they have horrid songwriting techniques, and they don't care if it is sh*t because it is punk.It sounds like you should have never joined this band in the first place. If you're that unhappy with the music, it can't be good for you and you're unlikely to be good for this band.

I like 90's emo,Seems appropriate. lol

NO ONE in high school in at least a 30 mile radius of me likes the same style (exaggerated, I know). I want to establish my place on the local music scene, and this might be a good way to do it, as I don't really have any other connections.Maybe there is no music scene for you locally? At least not the kind of music you wanna play. Or maybe you need to look harder, idk.

It seems as if you're trying to rationalize this band you're in now as being better than nothing. Something that fits you this poorly sounds worse than nothing to me. At least with nothing, you have more time to work on finding something. The right something. Or at least a much less wrong something.

axemanchris
12-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Fixed.

Funny.... everybody and their buddy plays drums around here. They're almost as overpopulated as guitarists.

However, that said, finding *good* guitarists and drummers can be a trick.

Singers, though..... always have been the hardest to find for me.

CT

isabiggles
12-31-2009, 09:45 AM
^

That's probably true actually but then again one of the guitarists or bassists can do the singing so it's not that hard. It's hard to find a GOOD singer. I've been trying the internet for ages looking for a good one but no luck so far. I'm lucky enough to live in walking distance to a guitar/vocals/drums/bass institute thing so i'll probably post some ads there.