how do i get band to be committed?

PDA

View Full Version : how do i get band to be committed?

thelizardprince
12-30-2009, 03:40 PM
ive had a couple music projects over the years and they never work because i cant get people who are actually willing to do the work and put in the time and effort and focus. me and my drummer from of the old band decided to put together a new one and it seemed like it had potential, but lately hes started flaking out to. we often plan our jam days ahead of time and then for whatever reason my drummer doesnt pull through. :rolleyes: im really sick of bands not working out. how do i get people to be motivated and committed?

isabiggles
12-30-2009, 03:46 PM
You can't force anyone to be commited though I suppose you could ask if they would be. The only thing you can do is find people who ARE commited to doing stuff like that. I enjoy playing in casual bands that aren't commited but I would never and could never force them to be more commited because some people just aren't and don't want to be.

eaton1012
12-30-2009, 03:47 PM
get committed people in the first place.

IsaacDeano93
12-30-2009, 03:47 PM
tell them to stuff it or practice :)

sxymnky777
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
smoke pot

silent caution
12-30-2009, 03:58 PM
smoke pot

really?? is this the new 'i cum blood'??

apak
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
That's the beauty of a successful band. Chemisty+committed people

SomeoneYouKnew
12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
ive had a couple music projects over the years and they never work because i cant get people who are actually willing to do the work and put in the time and effort and focus. me and my drummer from of the old band decided to put together a new one and it seemed like it had potential, but lately hes started flaking out to. we often plan our jam days ahead of time and then for whatever reason my drummer doesnt pull through. :rolleyes: im really sick of bands not working out. how do i get people to be motivated and committed?Jam days? What is that? Is that the whole point of this band is to just jam? It will be difficult to have people staying focused on a band that only jams. It can get kinda stale, ya know?

Maybe you should try doing more. Put together a few sets and actually play some gigs.
Or write some songs, arrange them as a band, and record them.

Your OP is kinda sketchy, so I dunno if you're already doing any of this. But from what I could determine by reading what you wrote, I don't see any of that being mentioned.

isabiggles
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
^

That could just be another way of saying practice. I ask my bandmates when they want to jam instead of saying practise.

thelizardprince
12-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Jam days? What is that? Is that the whole point of this band is to just jam? It will be difficult to have people staying focused on a band that only jams. It can get kinda stale, ya know?

Maybe you should try doing more. Put together a few sets and actually play some gigs.
Or write some songs, arrange them as a band, and record them.

Your OP is kinda sketchy, so I dunno if you're already doing any of this. But from what I could determine by reading what you wrote, I don't see any of that being mentioned.

haha yeah sorry jam just means to practice in our vocab. yeah were working on a set and writing songs. It just never goes anywhere if people arent committed enough to devote the time needed you know?

SomeoneYouKnew
12-30-2009, 07:24 PM
k, so I rather dislike what some "practice" sessions can easily turn into. Your group sessions should accomplish two things.

1 - Writing as a group. Work on a new song just enough so all the members understand what they need to do. Then let them practice their parts at home, on their own. Making a quick recording with a cheap little recorder can be an easy way for the band members to have something to work from at home.

2 - Polishing and finalizing songs. This is more "rehearsal" than "practice".

Having gigs or recording sessions lined up adds a sense of urgency. This is a good thing. If the band members are working toward a specific goal, that keeps them focused.

Also, keep the rehearsals short enough so they don't become boring, but long enough so it's worth making the effort to get together. Fewer rehearsals can get more accomplished if you use the time efficiently. This also keeps your band members motivated. When they see results quickly, it's rewarding.

Structure your rehearsals, when the sessions need to be longer. Schedule breaks to keep it from going on too long in one continuous stream. During the breaks, NO PLAYING ALLOWED. Put the instruments down. No exceptions. Use the time to relax and socialize a bit. Breaks are meant for that, not the time when you are supposed to be rehearsing. When it's time to pick up the instruments again, it's time to accomplish.

As a bandleader, it's your job to create an environment and attitude that brings out the best in your band members. In both work ethic and their creative input. Look for ways to shape the environment. You need to be firm enough to get things started in the right direction, but loose enough to allow creativity. Find the balance.

If a band member is becoming a chronic problem, talk with them privately and convince them to do their part before it begins to affect the other members of the band. If one member is goofing off all the time, you need to fix the problem, or get rid of them before this infects the other members of the band. One problem member can demoralize the whole band. At that point, damage may be too big to recover from.

Sonic Blast
01-01-2010, 02:40 PM
^^ well done SYK! that's how it should be.

sxymnky777
01-01-2010, 07:13 PM
really?? is this the new 'i cum blood'??

No, marijuana greatly aids in music creation. Just ask the Beatles.

Crizzle
01-02-2010, 08:08 AM
No, marijuana greatly aids in music creation. Just ask the Beatles.

I'm sure they done acid.
This thread has helped me greatly guys.

thelizardprince
01-16-2010, 04:01 AM
you give good advice :)
thanks i think thatll help
we have a battle of the bands lined up so that should give some sense of urgency right?

SomeoneYouKnew
01-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Well, yeah. It certainly should. If you have any band members who aren't focusing now that you have a target to shoot for, they don't have an excuse.