A couple band questions...

PDA

View Full Version : A couple band questions...

imnotemoiswear
12-31-2009, 01:29 AM
Hey,
Im in a band (sorta) With one fairly skilled guitarist/vocalist (me), a screamer (maybe keyboardist), and a violinist/sound mixer (maybe bassist or drummer). Where do we start? I mean should we try to all learn a song to cover or should we try to just write a song? P.S. We're into Nirvana, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, AFI, Alesana, and other such bands.

All advice is appreciated, UG

one x
12-31-2009, 01:36 AM
start off covering then write your own shit....thats what my buddy is doing with his band....or if you feel creative just write a song.

ErrConde
12-31-2009, 01:36 AM
try learning a cover song first and that way you will get some expierience in the music making and playing with your bandmates and that way you will get to know them as far as how good musicians they are etc.. and as a plus you know a song as a group....

After that i recommend you start writing and getting some of that ideas recorded

B.Rainwater
12-31-2009, 02:07 AM
Go with the flow is my only advice my freind. Whatever Feels natural and fun, Cover some songs that you like, let inspiration hit you when it comes. Just JAM! Thats wat me and my Friends Do!

its_alive
12-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Learn a cover, i guess. It'll start off shaky but eventually you'll start getting tighter and then you'll want to write some songs.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey,
Im in a band (sorta)lol, sorta.

With one fairly skilled guitarist/vocalist (me), that sounds pretty normal.

a screamer (maybe keyboardist), Maybe?

and a violinist/sound mixer (maybe bassist or drummer). Again with the maybe?

Where do we start? Maybe, figure out what your instrumentation will be / get some instruments / add personnel?

Without the maybes you have:

- Guitar/vocalist
- screamer
- violinist

Seems like you'd be fairly limited in what you can do with that.

axemanchris
12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Let's simplify the question a little and see what it looks like.

"I have a tentative staff for my business. What do I do next?"

What do you intend on selling? To whom will you sell it? Do you have any network in place to get your product to the customers? Who is running this business?

You need to start answering those questions.

CT

isabiggles
12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
That's got to be the weirdest line up i've ever seen...

CoffeeAndJack
12-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Interesting bunch of people you have there. What are you trying to aim for in terms of a group? Are these the only people you want in the band? If not I'd look first of all into finding a drummer.

But anyway thats not answering your question. If I were you I'd try to cover something first, however try to cover it in a different and more creative style (which with your current lineup shouldn't be to hard). This will lend itself to songwriting as you'll be creating your own style using other peoples work and can then adapt your own work to this style.

imnotemoiswear
12-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I know its a strange lineup lol im aiming for uniqueness. My violinist wants to be bass but his teacher screwed him over (hes in strings at his school and the teacher gave him violin even after he said he could have bass). Hes really good at making beats though so he COULD be drums, but im not sure about it. My screamer is a good piano playr so hes considering vocals/keyboard. We are at one point going to add extra members though. Oh and how would we go about setting rules and deciding things like who is group leader? Thanks for the advice u guys hopefully my band wont end in failure before we do anything.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh and how would we go about setting rules and deciding things like who is group leader?Rules? What kind of rules do you think you might need? Have people who act like adults in the way they work with other people and you won't need any special rules. Have people who act like children and all the rules in the world won't help.

By default the person who starts the band is the leader. But that can change over time as a natural leader emerges. Sometimes different people in the band lead in different aspects. One guy might be the one who schedules rehearsals and books gigs. Another guy might do most of the songwriting or arranging. Another guy might be the one who the other members of the band focus on during a performance. Or one guy might do all of that.

imnotemoiswear
12-31-2009, 02:06 PM
:p: Man SomeoneYouKnew, u r one o the most helpful people ive seen on this site. Thanks

eaton1012
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
jam in a key that every one knows.