Lyrical Issues

PDA

View Full Version : Lyrical Issues

SKAtastic7770
01-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Hi, there's a problem beginning to develop for me between my self and the another individual in my band. I'm the primary songwriter musically, and I'd like to be lyrically. The thing my friend in my band also likes to write lyrics. Personally I like my lyrics more (of course) especially for my songs but it takes me a while to come up with great lyrics. When ever I just try to write something they suck.

But my bandmate gets really impatient that a lot of our songs don't have lyrics so he writes some and acts like they're a brilliant piece of literature. But When i look at them its like he just tried to write stuff that fits and rhymes in a half hour. So I usually say we can use those lyrics because I don't wanna get it in a fight about not having lyrics. Now I can always use the excuse that if I wrote the music for the song I should write the words, but in one instance, we have a song that the band wrote together and I don't like the lyrics he came up with.

So how do I tell him to take lyric writing more seriously and to let me have a chance with every song?

It also doesn't help that he thinks I don't take lyric writing seriously either because I take so long to do it, because I show him rushed attempts, and because I like to add humor to songs and he thinks they should all be serious.

Northernmight
01-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Well.. just try and make them realize that the lyrics are just as, if not more, important than the music itself, if nothing else, the music (in my opinion), should work around the lyrics and fit the lyrics, and lyrics is not something that should just be thrown on top of the pyramid to "complete" the work.

Just try and make them realize that YOU are the one that should write the lyrics. That you are the bloody lyricist. THOUGH, also make sure that your bandmate knows that YOU KNOW that the lyrics that he has written, has been to help the band and to finish the songwriting process, and that it's still a good thing and shows that he is commited - even though that he should realize that your lyrics are obviously better than his, if what you write is true (Kinda counting on that).

So.. Basically say that lyrics are important, and even though the other fella shows great dedication by writing lyrics, you still feel that the lyrics should add more to the song than just rhymes to go with riffs. :)

My drunkish opinion atleast..

HAPPY NEW YEAR

SomeoneYouKnew
01-01-2010, 07:11 AM
But my bandmate gets really impatient that a lot of our songs don't have lyrics so he writes someI can see why. Maybe you should actually take the time to write the lyrics before flashing the songs to the rest of the band.

If you don't actually write lyrics and those song are without, it's seems wrong to complain about him doing what you should have already done, yeah?

isabiggles
01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
You could always post them here and let us judge.. or the songwriting and lyrics forum. Obviously both of your opinions are going to be heavily against the other one's lyrics and vice versa.

ReynboLightning
01-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Let him write and finish song lyrics,but only use them as a place holder until you write some better lyrics.That way you can have finished songs and work on changing the lyrics slowly.Metallicas four horseman used to have some really stupid lyrics before they changed it.

isaac_bandits
01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Well if its a band, and not a solo project, I don't see why he shouldn't contribute. If he writes lyrics before you, and the majority of the band is happy with them, I don't see any reason not to use them. If you've got a really great lyrical idea for a song, then keep the song to yourself, until you have the lyrics sorted out. It is a band though, and bands function best when everyone has equal opportunity to contribute. Also, who is singing? Why not have the singer write the lyrics (or choose to use someone else's lyrics) since he's the one singing them? I always liked the idea of every band member more or less writing his or her own part.

chokmool
01-01-2010, 10:34 PM
If you listen to my songs, they seem very simple. The thing is, the way I write lyrics, I have to put them through real time playing/singing. I can knock off some lyrics quickly, but to integrate them into a song takes more work. Trippingly off the tongue comes to mind.

If his ideas are good, and you can help with the phrasing, do it. He may not have the capacity to really write, but you can help him form his ideas into worthwhile lyrics. Of course, that would mean a collaborative effort. Unfortunately, your post leads me to believe the two of you are more rivals, than collaborators. If that's the case, I've got nothing.

SKAtastic7770
01-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Well if its a band, and not a solo project, I don't see why he shouldn't contribute. If he writes lyrics before you, and the majority of the band is happy with them, I don't see any reason not to use them. If you've got a really great lyrical idea for a song, then keep the song to yourself, until you have the lyrics sorted out. It is a band though, and bands function best when everyone has equal opportunity to contribute. Also, who is singing? Why not have the singer write the lyrics (or choose to use someone else's lyrics) since he's the one singing them? I always liked the idea of every band member more or less writing his or her own part.
Herein lies the problem. we dont have our singing situation worked out yet. Currently we are looking for a singer, but the member I mentioned sings and plays bass at gigs right now. He has no desire to be the permanent singer. Im all for letting the permanent singer write lyrics if they're good that makes sense, but If I write the music to a song and have ideas in my mind, Isn't only fair that I get to write the lyrics? But it also makes sense for the person who sings to write they're own lyrics, confusing.

isaac_bandits
01-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Herein lies the problem. we dont have our singing situation worked out yet. Currently we are looking for a singer, but the member I mentioned sings and plays bass at gigs right now. He has no desire to be the permanent singer. Im all for letting the permanent singer write lyrics if they're good that makes sense, but If I write the music to a song and have ideas in my mind, Isn't only fair that I get to write the lyrics? But it also makes sense for the person who sings to write they're own lyrics, confusing.

Maybe you should write the lyrics before you show them the song then. Or you can try and write lyrics collaboratively with your bassist.

Mephysteaux
01-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Do some editing and constructive criticism on each other's lyrics. Also, find a mutual friend, get their opinion, and maybe some editing/criticism from them as well.

wowsux
01-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Sounds like a confliction of egos to me. Show me examples of these lyrics so I can judge, or are you just going to tell us your lyrics are better?

Black Star
01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Maybe you should write the lyrics before you show them the song then. Or you can try and write lyrics collaboratively with your bassist.

This.

I am the main songwriter in my band. Although I value the other members' input, I make sure the songs are basically complete before I show them, and let them add their influence over the finished product. That way, the song is, for the most part, how I envisioned it, while the band gets their say at the same time.

QuantumMechanix
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
It's the same way with my band, except the other guy actually is a lot better at writing lyrics so he writes them for the most part. Why not just try to write some lyrics for a given song, and if you think yours are better, just present your set of lyrics to your band. If everyone likes yours better, then use them. It's not about who gets the glory; it's about writing the best piece of
music you can

AlanHB
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Just divide up the songs between yours and his. If you write the song, you write the lyrics. If he writes the song, he can write the lyrics. I've never tried to change another person's drum or bassline - why would I change their lyrics?