Booking Gigs

PDA

View Full Version : Booking Gigs

keasaildsslog
01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
My band and I have been working on some songs. Were going to start recording a little and we're also going to start to go after some gigs in our area to build more of a fanbase. So my question is what exactly should you do when booking a gig in terms of riders, agreement papers so you don't get ripped off and that sort of stuff?

intothe
01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
ripped off? I don't think you should count on getting paid or anything, just see it as a fun thing and go there and play :)

gatechballer
01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Eah for your first shows the difference between good pay and ripped off will be nothing. Maybe like $1.50. Play a free show first and build a fan base. Then go to a small local bar or very small venue that will pay a little. You've gotta build it up

ooheavenoo
01-01-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah mang!! i mean i only expect to get paid on tours, and on tours i only expect money when i have a guarantee (which are hiiighly recomended) for the most part just play what you can, dont really expect money if your just a local

guns_rosesldb
01-01-2010, 11:26 PM
we play 3 hour sets at bars, and the least we charge for that is $150. If your gona do half hour shows, dont count on getting paid. You make your best money playing the long cover band type shows. at least thats how we do it.

isaac_bandits
01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Why would the places pay you? You've never played before. You don't have a following, and they can't expect you to bring in a crowd that will increase their profits. Be happy if you can use their venue for free, and not make anything. Do it for the fun, and if you play enough you'll make yourself a reputation, and people will be willing to pay to have you play.

You should probably try to find out about common places for gigs, and get to know some other bands in your areas. I doubt you'll be able to play a long enough show at first, and playing a show with several other bands will bring in their fans too, and that definitely helps you get new fans.

gatechballer
01-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Yeh open for small local bands. That's a great way to be heard

JackFlash19
01-02-2010, 05:56 AM
House parties are a good way to build a fanbase. Invite a bunch of friends, provide drinks/food and give everybody a sticker w/your myspace or somethin. Announce you are going to start booking shows at venues and you'd love for everyone to be there.

Most venues usually pay per each fan that comes to see you. Some you have to bring a minimum number (20ish) or you don't get paid at all. Which is still good because you play with other bands whose fans came to see them, and end up catching part of your set.

Don't even mention a rider until you are in a position to hire a road manager, promo guy, merch people, and guitar tech........Riders are for the big boys.

I wouldn't go too far for contracts/agreements besides a handshake or just printing off an email. Usually a contract doesn't mean a thing in the local scene. If the club owner says they'll pay you $xxx, and they end up paying half, it's not necessarily because they shafted you. It's because they didn't make as much money as they had expected to (which comes off your fans coming in to pay cover and buy food/drinks). If you are cover band or are 'hired' to play a lengthy set, get one. But if you're just playing on a bill with 4-5 bands every weekend, don't make a big deal of it.

Dio10101
01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Just have fun, be happy they're even letting you play, dont expect to get payed for a while.

guitarvinnie
01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
you have to be a bar band to get paid locally, we are doing one this upcoming saturday we play from 9-1am (with breaks) and we are getting 200 for it. playing less than an hour is just for fun.