Solo Projects Question

PDA

View Full Version : Solo Projects Question

Pud
01-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Hello,

(I hope this is the right forum)

I've recently started a post rock solo project. This project so far has probably been the most fulfilling musical experience I've had to date (and I've only recorded one song so far :p: ). Anyway, my goal is to record an EP or an LP, and this has been a very exciting prospect for me. But recently I started thinking, this obviously isn't something that I can perform live.

So where can I really go from here with a solo project besides just putting it on the internet? I'm curious to know what other people on here have done with their solo projects.

Thanks!

lockwolf
01-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Probably the best bet would be to find some friends that like what you're doing and have them play live with you.

HKSR33
01-02-2010, 05:55 AM
there's always professional musicians who can come and play the other instruments at a gig. Most places have a short list of guys and girls who can be called upon to "fill in" if a musician is injured (a drummers foot for instance). however these dudes command good money.

there's the other option of investing in more DJ like equipment and using your recording as a backing track, with the parts you will play live taken out of the recording so the audience still get a live feel to the gig, again this gear will not be cheap, and would take some getting used to for a smooth performance.

axemanchris
01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
What do you feel is preventing you from taking this live?

If you have a good solo album that has good songs and is recorded well, you'll have no problem - at least you shouldn't - finding musicians who will want to form a band with you and help take the show in front of people. Sure, now you'll be in two bands, perhaps, but that's no big deal. If these new guys are in your band, they won't ask for any more than what you are getting - just like any other band.

there's always professional musicians who can come and play the other instruments at a gig. Most places have a short list of guys and girls who can be called upon to "fill in" if a musician is injured (a drummers foot for instance). however these dudes command good money.

Yeah, they're out there, but the venue will leave that up to you. Though they might well be able to refer you to someone.

there's the other option of investing in more DJ like equipment and using your recording as a backing track, with the parts you will play live taken out of the recording so the audience still get a live feel to the gig, again this gear will not be cheap, and would take some getting used to for a smooth performance.

AFAIK.... no. Remixers are often able to get original tracks from the master recordings. DJ software can't remove vocals very well, and certainly can't remove, say, a single guitar part or whatever.

CT

Pud
01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, definitely cleared some things up!

After thinking more about this, I think what I'm wanting to do is just get the music heard. I imagine that it would be quite difficult to get musicians interested in a post rock band and I don't have a lot of money to spend on different equipment to make gigging a possibility. Obviously I can put it up on the internet and maybe even try to send it in to a suitable radio station. But when it comes down to it, I'm only a 16 year old trying to have fun and express myself, and I don't expect to get much attention or anything.

isaac_bandits
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
AFAIK.... no. Remixers are often able to get original tracks from the master recordings. DJ software can't remove vocals very well, and certainly can't remove, say, a single guitar part or whatever.
CT

I think what the other guy was getting at was that he could go back to his project files from when he was recording, and just mute the guitar and vocals, and then use that as his track. If he recorded it, it shouldn't be hard to take out some of the instruments, and just make two tracks.

axemanchris
01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
M'kay. That'd work.

CT

ankthebank
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty much in the same position... I was thinking putting a backing track on, and singing and playing guitar over the top... my only concern would be the 'dynamic' impact (?) of the actual gig. It wouldn't be as good as a real backing band of course, but surely this option would be quicker, as I wouldn't have to teach each musician how to play my pieces?