After booking a gig...

PDA

View Full Version : After booking a gig...

chaimwitz
01-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Hey guys, I need a bit of help planning for a gig. For as long as I have been performing with my band, everything is always taken care of, in terms of things like PA systems, mixers, cables, monitors etc. So basically what I'm asking is, what kind of supplies and materials will I need after booking a venue, if they are unable to supply anything?

mexican_shred
01-03-2010, 02:57 AM
PA system for sure.
Power Strips for the electronics(actually had to bring two once)
An extension chord if the Outlet is far away.
Cables.
A rug for the drumset wouldnt hurt as you dont know the environment you'll be in.

The last couple of shows my band played there was no PA system, and the outlet was about 15 feet away from the stage. had to run to borrow a PA system and buy a extension cable

chokmool
01-03-2010, 03:39 AM
The way you've posed the question, I can't give you a good answer.
How big is the venue?
How many people sing?
How many instruments are there? Do they need mics?

You have to run this kind of checklist. We can't tell you what you need, with the information provided.

If you have a wad of cash, and want to own your PA, and learn how to use it quickly, go for it. If not, rent one. Preferably with a person who knows how to use it.

chaimwitz
01-03-2010, 03:58 AM
The way you've posed the question, I can't give you a good answer.
How big is the venue?
How many people sing?
How many instruments are there? Do they need mics?

You have to run this kind of checklist. We can't tell you what you need, with the information provided.

If you have a wad of cash, and want to own your PA, and learn how to use it quickly, go for it. If not, rent one. Preferably with a person who knows how to use it.

The place we're looking into, can accommodate 250-300 people. Bass, guitar, and drums, with one person singing, and chances are, we would go without mics on the instruments, unless we can find someone to help mix us.

chokmool
01-03-2010, 04:36 AM
250- 300, tells me that if you want to sound your best, you'll need a proper PA. Getting a balanced sound without one at a venue that size is nearly impossible without the right stuff.

Are you getting paid? I mean, in the situation your in, I'd probably do a rental, but if it costs more than you're making, that's not good either. If you're going to be doing this often, I'd say look into getting your own PA, and teach a friend how to run it.

Phil Star, I think that's what he goes by here, may have a better suggestion. He knows this stuff better than me.

axemanchris
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Why this particular venue if they offer nothing, when you could play at other venues who would supply everything?

You also need to address what sort of production you want.

Is there a stage, or would you just be setting up in a corner of a big room?

Do you have or want a backdrop? Lights?

Are you doing tickets, or do you need people to collect money at the door? If you're dealing with money, you'll need a float.

Does the venue have a liquor licence? Or is that applicable to this show?

Will the venue set up chairs/tables or will they leave that up to you? Will they even provide tables and chairs?

Will you be playing covers or originals? Reason I ask is that, if you are playing even one single cover, you will need to pay for a tariff for performance rights of copyrighted material to the local performing rights association. Depending on the venue, you may be in luck and find that they pay a blanket fee every year for this.

Does the venue provide insurance? What if someone falls and gets hurt?

We need SO much more information about your event and venue and expectations before we can even begin to answer this question.

CT

Phil Starr
01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Start reading here
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_one_-_a_first_pa.html
this covers the sort of simple set up you'll get away with, part two will give you some help about what to do on the day. Have a look around the columns generally though for tips

MR. Goodcents
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Not to sound mean or anything but it's your band. You know what your band needs. You know how loud you guys play and how loud/what kind of PA you will need. Ya there is stuff you should always bring like power strips and cables. But it's all about how you want to to look/sound. It can be as stripped down, or as elaborate as you want to make it.