[not sure where to post..] band name change

PDA

View Full Version : [not sure where to post..] band name change

6stringbassist
01-03-2010, 06:41 AM
My guitarist hates our band name, and thinks we need to change it to be taken seriously.

Our band name,
Tastes Like Murder
www.myspace.com/tasteslikemurdermusic

We're Hardcore Progressive Death Metal

That has a video of us.
We've already got merch and sold like 200$ worth of it to our friends 10$/shirt, and I don't think our name will affect how seriously we'll be taken... I mean, if people don't like us because of our band name, do we want them as fans?

Him and my drummer hate the name and are embarrassed of it. My vocalist and I like it and think it's good and that it should stay....

what do you guys think? I trust my fellow bassists opinions.

Edit: On the note of merch I just don't think it's right to have convinced 20+ friends to spend 10$ on us for a now worthless shirt, because they'll have to buy a new shirt to support us...

skater dan0
01-03-2010, 06:48 AM
*Moved*

Regression
01-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Your band name mightn't affect whether people like your music or not, but it's the first impression people get of your band. If people like the band name, I think they're much more likely to go out and listen to your music.

RNRSoldier
01-03-2010, 06:59 AM
In a situation where the band is split, I'd say in general to side with the people who really object, but if you guys are super attached to it then I don't know. As a band name I think it's pretty funny and I'm not sure whether that's intentional or not. It's something that I'd want to have on a shirt, really. If it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, I'd say keep it. If not... Change may be in order.

6stringbassist
01-03-2010, 06:59 AM
What do we do though? I don't want to have just wasted 250$ of our guitarists dads money and 200$ of our friends money to end up with 50 shirts for a band that doesn't go by that name anymore... it would make them basically worthless and on top of that we would have to design a new logo...

RNRSoldier
01-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I don't think your friends would be that pissed, and you'd keep the profits. If my friend's band changed their name after I bought a shirt, I'd probably still wear it.

6stringbassist
01-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, we owe his dad 250$ for printing the shirts... 250$ that we don't have...

Ekofu
01-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Well, we owe his dad 250$ for printing the shirts... 250$ that we don't have...
That's why you don't ask daddy for money to fund your -core metal band.

6stringbassist
01-03-2010, 07:15 AM
We didn't ask daddy. Daddy likes the music and surprised us by making them.

Ekofu
01-03-2010, 07:20 AM
We didn't ask daddy. Daddy likes the music and surprised us by making them.
Then handed you the bill? That sounds like a hell of a surprise.

6stringbassist
01-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah. We're all broke too..... So I'm thinking...

If the guitarist wants to change it he can pay his dad back for our now worthless shirts..

SSDDPunkRocker
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
You should tell daddy to give you some time to make the money back, considering you didn't ask for the shirts in the first place.

Also, I like the band name. It's just awesome. Serious.

eaton1012
01-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Keep the name cause your already know under that name.

OR

Find a compromise with the name and rebuild your fan base ?
Examples: Murderous Taste / Taste Murderous or The Murder Taste.

12345abcd3
01-03-2010, 10:52 AM
If you're well established then don't bother changing the name because you'll lose a lot of your reputation. If you're not then try and think of a band name everyone in the band likes.

Honestly though, I don't think your band name makes much difference at all. Maybe something short of easy to say would be good but think of all the sucessful bands that have terrible band names.

One example that jumps especially to mind in Death Cab for Cutie. Now, I am a Death Cab fan but even I can see that that name is awful. And if they had been a metal band maybe it would have suited then more but for an indie rock band the name just seems so out of place (even though it is in fact tongue in cheek). However, they are a sucessful band and the name almost sounds natural because it is so well known.

The point I'm trying to make is that your band name is a pretty small factor. Just keep it short and uncomplicated and it shouldn't hinder you.

axemanchris
01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
First off, I think the name is fine. For whatever *that* is worth.

Second.... you all agree at one point on a name, play a bunch of shows, get merch made up, put up a Myspace..... and now you want to change it?

Those guys shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place, IMHO, if they weren't happy with it. Now is not the time to be expressing this. Sometimes you need to live with your choices.

yes, there are good reasons to change a band name, but this doesn't strike me as one of them.

If I was dad, I'd look at it like this.... "I tried to show my support by getting some merch made up for you guys. I didn't ask you for money. It was a gift. But!! If you want to throw that in my face because now, after all this, two of your buddies decide they don't like the name, I'll ask for my money back. If you're that committed to this decision where changing your name is more important than the investment I made in your band, then you won't mind paying me back for it. Maybe those two guys in your band who want to change the name will sing a different tune if it's going to cost them the $250 for the merch to change it."

CT

asator
01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
My guitarist hates our band name, and thinks we need to change it to be taken seriously.

Our band name,
Tastes Like Murder
www.myspace.com/tasteslikemurdermusic

We're Hardcore Progressive Death Metal

That has a video of us.
We've already got merch and sold like 200$ worth of it to our friends 10$/shirt, and I don't think our name will affect how seriously we'll be taken... I mean, if people don't like us because of our band name, do we want them as fans?

Him and my drummer hate the name and are embarrassed of it. My vocalist and I like it and think it's good and that it should stay....

what do you guys think? I trust my fellow bassists opinions.

Edit: On the note of merch I just don't think it's right to have convinced 20+ friends to spend 10$ on us for a now worthless shirt, because they'll have to buy a new shirt to support us...
Yes. You want everyone as fans.

And if half the band don't like the name, it needs to change. You need something you're ALL happy with.

Edit:
Having said that, AMC's post makes a whole lot of sense...
Well, whatever you do, you have to do it quick. Before you get any more of a following you could potentialy lose.

SKAtastic7770
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
If you need to change the band name don't worry about it, your close friends will be happy they have exclusive rare tees from when the name was different.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
If I was dad, I'd look at it like this.... "I tried to show my support by getting some merch made up for you guys. I didn't ask you for money. It was a gift. But!! If you want to throw that in my face because now, after all this, two of your buddies decide they don't like the name, I'll ask for my money back. If you're that committed to this decision where changing your name is more important than the investment I made in your band, then you won't mind paying me back for it.Most all the time your advice is spot-on, Chris. I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, though.

Daddy gave a gift. One can't expect compensation for his gift if it isn't used the way he intended. That's not how gifts work.

Maybe something more like this?
Guitarist's Dad: "You're gonna change your name NOW? Now, after I gifted you with merchandise that will become useless? Well, you're free to make your own decisions, boys. And I'm free to make any future investments where ever I see fit. I'll use your decision on this matter as a basis for my future investment decisions."

Translation: Waste the money I gave you, and that's the last of it you'll see.

bobthebum16
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
What do we do though? I don't want to have just wasted 250$ of our guitarists dads money and 200$ of our friends money to end up with 50 shirts for a band that doesn't go by that name anymore... it would make them basically worthless and on top of that we would have to design a new logo...

yeah but that could be cool. Like if you guys start getting more known your friends could be like "I knew about them when they were called Tastes Like Murder" :D

AlanHB
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Sorry hungry mistake. Ignore this :P