My bandmates won't play metal

PDA

View Full Version : My bandmates won't play metal

MetallikSH
01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
First of all: I live between Switzerland and northern Italy, so keep in mind that music scene reading this.

I love metal, I have a nice Ibanez and everything but my bandmates say: "Metal doesn't sell" "Metal isn't cool to play" "Our rhythm guitarist suck" (i'm the lead guitarist)

What should i say/do except trying to get them more into metal?

_-Joey-_
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Find new bandmates?

Warpigcessec
01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Tell them playing music isnt about what sells of whats cool, its about what you enjoy playing. If anything just get some recording gear and some drum and bass software and be a one man band.

User_Name336
start a side band?
show them somehow it sells?
do the whole "we're all equals here and I want to play some metal here and there. you should respect my opinion and suck it up for a few songs because i play your music too"
make them walk in on you playing some incredible metal riff or something that will make them want to play along

Sandor138
find a new band

the_hoodster
I don't see why they don't just try a couple of metal songs. It won't kill them to do something heavier as well as whatever it is your already play

Bazookajoe_666
Well its obvious (if what you say is true) that your "bandmates" are nothing more then a bunch of pussy posers and trendhoppers.

Get rid of them.

Get some REAL musicians with REAL passion to play.

Not people that are in it to "sell".

Thats called a future SELL out.

Nuff said.

Do it man, you'll feel a LOT better.

JayLacelle
you can't force someone into liking a genre. leave it be.

JayLacelle
01-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Well its obvious (if what you say is true) that your "bandmates" are nothing more then a bunch of pussy posers and trendhoppers.

Get rid of them.

Get some REAL musicians with REAL passion to play.

Not people that are in it to "sell".

Nuff said.

Do it man, you'll feel a LOT better.

because everyone that doesn't play metal is a pussy poser?

crowdome
01-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Firstly, get Lil' Wayne off your avatar :)
Secondly, if they don't listen to metal, if they don't have any passion for it, then there's no point trying to persuade them. But if they've never really given metal a chance, then introduce them to some new bands. Metal DOES sell, there's no doubt about it. But if they're only interested in "selling records" and being "big famous rock stars", then I recommend you join a new band...
Listen to a band called Protest the Hero, let them listen to it. The bassist will have a LOT of fun playing their songs, and it'll be a nice challenge for you to get their songs down. If you can't play the songs properly, improvise a little.
If your music taste and the band's taste differ, i recommend a new band man. This is me talking from experience :)

The Arsis
01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Find a new band.

AlanHB
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Gee whiz. Maybe in the future you find out whether everybody wants to play a similar genre of music BEFORE you join the band.

eaton1012
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Find a different band. Much easier than trying to convert people who don't like metal.

Northernmight
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
... either play something else, or find other people.. I mean hell.. What did you think your options were? kk then.. Move to the US, play shitty avenged sevenfold like crap, and be famous. Hows that for an answer..

By the way, yes.. I am bloody pissed off today, so don't bother to comment on my angry answer, or it will rain fire from the internet pretty soon..

BladeSlinger
01-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Firstly, get Lil' Wayne off your avatar :)
Secondly, if they don't listen to metal, if they don't have any passion for it, then there's no point trying to persuade them. But if they've never really given metal a chance, then introduce them to some new bands. Metal DOES sell, there's no doubt about it. But if they're only interested in "selling records" and being "big famous rock stars", then I recommend you join a new band...
Listen to a band called Protest the Hero, let them listen to it. The bassist will have a LOT of fun playing their songs, and it'll be a nice challenge for you to get their songs down. If you can't play the songs properly, improvise a little.
If your music taste and the band's taste differ, i recommend a new band man. This is me talking from experience :)
Firstly, shut the **** up. I'm tired of people doing the whole 'rap is ghey ololol' thing.

If they're not willing to at least give it a try then find a new band.

JagStang5246
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Find new people to play with, or start a side project if you're happy with what they play, but you also want some brOOTals on the side. If you are looking for this to be your main thing, though, I would ditch those guys and find some more people that want to play metal.

its_alive
01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Clearly there's a major clash of interests here. What music do THEY want to play? If they all agree on something, and you're still pushing for metal than you need to make the compromise for it to work.
If you can't agree on what music you guys wanna cover, try and write an original song?
Originals are nice because its a blend of everybody's influences, styles, and such.
Are you capable of sacrificing metal to make a compromise? That's up to you.

Edit: Okay, now I'm starting to see the whole "selling-out" part of the deal. I'm not a fan of metal, but if that's the case, your bandmates are idiots.
Either un-idiot-ify them or get a new band with people that share taste.

axemanchris
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Maybe they *like* music that sells? Maybe they don't *like* metal?

... and if they don't like metal and they wind up playing it more or less against their wishes because someone else insisted they do, then yes, they would be sell-outs.

CT

e-free
01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
You can't force people into liking metal just because you do. My tip would be advertising for new bandmates and stating from the get-go that you want to play metal, that way you won't have arguments over that later on.

Sonic Blast
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
you can ease them into it. by playing heavier and heavier stuff. that's what I essentially did with my band. the bassist and drummer (we're a three piece) don't listen to metal, but they love to play it now. One of our newest songs is a metal song we wrote and it's the most fun thing in the world to play, for all of us. but the bassist listens to punk and alternative and the drummer listens to techno and soft-rock. i listen to hard rock and progressive. we're a very mix-matched band, but we cover all the genre's we love from prog to punk to metal to ballads in our covers and originals. it'll happen if you have the chemistry, it just might take a while.

but if you don't have the chemistry, you might want to get your name out there to other bands who need a guitarist.

JayLacelle
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
... and if they don't like metal and they wind up playing it more or less against their wishes because someone else insisted they do, then yes, they would be sell-outs.

CT

my thoughts exactly. just because someone plays pop music doesn't mean they are a sell out. if someone plays metal because someone told them too, THATS a sell out.

Pandawithapick
01-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Well, not everyone likes metal.
If you joined the band knowing that they don't like metal, then don't bitch about them not liking it while your in the band. If you don't like the music the band is playing, then leave.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Gee whiz. Maybe in the future you find out whether everybody wants to play a similar genre of music BEFORE you join the band.Alan, what the hell is wrong with you? How DARE you bring common sense into this! :p:

druggietoad2k5
01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Or, you could stop being a shithead about it and leave them to play what they want instead of forcing them to play stuff they don't like.

jfbrown42
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
do the whole "we're all equals here and I want to play some metal here and there. you should respect my opinion and suck it up for a few songs because i play your music too"

^
|
What he said. There are lots of cool styles of music out there and there is no reason they (and you) can't play multiple styles/genres.

QuantumMechanix
01-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I think they're somewhat right.

Metal doesn't sell: Metal IS somewhat of a niche and it would be easier to get publicity if you played Pop, but Metal CAN sell, just not as easily

Metal isn't cool: I guess they don't like metal

Our rhythm guitarist isn't good enough: You need a solid rhythm guitarist if you want to play most metal. If he's not good enough, he's not good enough.

Try finding another band?

Black Star
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Pop music is a hugely competitive market, with not much room for new additions. Why would you try to break into that market if you were out for money? Sure, you may get signed to a label, but you probably will end up losing money, not gaining, simply due to the amount of competition. If you're going to compete here, you have to be THE BEST. Better than Fall Out Boy, Michael Jackson, Green Day, etc.

Now, take a look at a niche market. There's generally less competition, with more room for fresh blood. If you're looking to make money, you have a much better chance of making it in a niche market than you do the whole shebang.

I could go into specifics, but I think that is enough to get through. People who say "that doesn't sell" are idiots, because everything sells nowadays. Ever hear of The Long Tail? Basically, if it's there, people will buy it. Sure, you have less potential sells in Metal than you do Pop, but you have a higher chance of getting heard and getting those sales, too.

But once again, you shouldn't be in the band in the first place if you can't even agree on the style of music. Find yourself some different bandmates.

AlanHB
01-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Alan, what the hell is wrong with you? How DARE you bring common sense into this! :p:

Sorry dude.

My real answer:

OMG! Deez r total seelouts ur bandmtes. They iz juzt into homoz stuff lik Mr Ghey n' da Ball-Sukz.

Note: If you think you are the only person who wants to play metal in your area, you are not. It is incredibly popular on the shitty band scene right now so go for it. It is getting to the point where joining a metal band is the norm. So before anyone claims that playing pop music is "selling out", you may want to consider that it is becoming more alternative than a metal band.

Powerslave1724
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
First, when you guys formed what were you planning on doing? Are you friends with the other bandmates? Did you guys want to do covers or originals? Are you looking to play live shows or are you just jamming?

The last cover band i played in wouldn't play metal either, but a lot of that had to do with the gigs we got. Most places we played didn't have the metal crowd so we had to tune our setlist to the gigs we were getting. We had a few songs we were cycling in and out based on the crowd. But unless your at a metal venue, the average person out at the bar doesn't want to listen to metal.

What i just said is not entirley true though, it really depends on what type of metal we are talking about here. One persons idea of metal can vary greatly from another. If you want to play Crazy Train, or some Priest, Scorpions or even some Maiden, you could pick the right songs and play them live and people would be into it. On the other hand, if you want to play Cannibal Corpse that might not go over as well. This is assuming we are talking about a cover band. If it's originals you guys are doing then it might be time to find people with similiar interests as you.

Black Star
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
First, when you guys formed what were you planning on doing? Are you friends with the other bandmates? Did you guys want to do covers or originals? Are you looking to play live shows or are you just jamming?

The last cover band i played in wouldn't play metal either, but a lot of that had to do with the gigs we got. Most places we played didn't have the metal crowd so we had to tune our setlist to the gigs we were getting. We had a few songs we were cycling in and out based on the crowd. But unless your at a metal venue, the average person out at the bar doesn't want to listen to metal.

What i just said is not entirley true though, it really depends on what type of metal we are talking about here. One persons idea of metal can vary greatly from another. If you want to play Crazy Train, or some Priest, Scorpions or even some Maiden, you could pick the right songs and play them live and people would be into it. On the other hand, if you want to play Cannibal Corpse that might not go over as well. This is assuming we are talking about a cover band. If it's originals you guys are doing then it might be time to find people with similiar interests as you.

That is a very good point. Venues around here mainly want classic rock, but we're able to get away with some Maiden, and even throw in some relatively obscure metal such as Blind Guardian. People don't mind listening to a song they don't know every now and then, but it has to be damn good.

Powerslave1724
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
That is a very good point. Venues around here mainly want classic rock, but we're able to get away with some Maiden, and even throw in some relatively obscure metal such as Blind Guardian. People don't mind listening to a song they don't know every now and then, but it has to be damn good.

Blind Guardian rocks! You ever hear Demons & Wizards? A mix between Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, good stuff. I like the song Path of Glory by them.

What you said is a perfect example of being able to slip a song from a band the average person doesn't know in the middle of your set. You pick the right one and people would definatley be into it. I always wanted to do Wasted Years by Maiden live. It's a good tune with a great solo (a short one and it's not over the top), good lyrics and something i could see people liking and i bet they wouldn't even know it was Maiden unless you told them.

Roxor_Mc0wnage
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Maybe they *like* music that sells? Maybe they don't *like* metal?

CT

Chris wins this thread.

Remember the first word in Sell-out is "sell". If you ever want to have a career (you may not) in music, you had better get used to doing things that people with money want to hear. If you just want to chill and shred some riffs with nary a thought to your financial future, then by all means, shred on good sir.

Mike1109
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
If your band doesn't want to play metal maybe you should have clarified what you wanted to play BEFORE joining the band. The easy solution is to just form another band on the side if you wish to keep playing with this group. That way you have 2 outlets for creativity, metal and whatever it is you're playing in your original group.

Black Star
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Blind Guardian rocks! You ever hear Demons & Wizards? A mix between Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, good stuff. I like the song Path of Glory by them.

What you said is a perfect example of being able to slip a song from a band the average person doesn't know in the middle of your set. You pick the right one and people would definatley be into it. I always wanted to do Wasted Years by Maiden live. It's a good tune with a great solo (a short one and it's not over the top), good lyrics and something i could see people liking and i bet they wouldn't even know it was Maiden unless you told them.

Huge fan of IE and D&W as well. I'm a regular over at the IE and BG threads in the Metal forum ;)

Wasted Years would be a good choice for any band that's covering classic rock. Some classic rock stations around here even play the song.

Anyways, back on topic. TS, you can always add your own touch to songs, both covers and originals. For example, I had a bassist about a year ago who insisted we play Misery Business by Paramore. I finally agreed, changed the guitar part a little bit, and gave it more of a Coheed & Cambria vibe.