How to improve finger-picking speed

PDA

View Full Version : How to improve finger-picking speed

Silveroon009
01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I play with two fingers in a metal band and I wanted to know what could I do to improve my speed and technique, is there any kind of exercise? I want to be able to play the whole Rust In Peace or Master of Puppets or Reign In Blood (Tom Araya did as I'm told) with fingers, and I've also composed a song that is actually too fast for me to play, its as fast as... Take No Prisoners by Megadeth more or less, I wanted to know how could I improve my finger picking speed to be able to play that fast using two fingers, thanks!

BladeSlinger
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
A metronome would fix this. A dismal but useful exercise.

Silveroon009
01-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Are you sure? cause I'm not talking about ONLY the picking, but to be able to coordinate my fretting and picking hands at those high speeds. Cause y'know they (Burton, Araya and Ellefson) are not always repeating the same notes...

And I know Ellefson used a pick but he might as well have used his fingers, look at Cliff and Tom...

the666thmessiah
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Im currently attempting to do the same (except focusing on three fingers.. unintentional triplets remain an issue here <.<) ... what you want to be doing is to cut down on the amount of digging your fingers do... press a little lighter on the strings at first to get used to the feel of only using the tips of your fingers.... also, as BladeSlinger has said; metronome...

Nutter_101
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Do spider excercises at speed. That'll improve your coordination. Remember, speed is a byproduct of accuracy. The only way you'll play fast is if both hands are working at the same speed.

Wallygator56
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
A good way I found that really helped me to improve my finger speed, was to take five or so minutes and just work with the right hand. What I would do was seperate the fingers, so I would only use my index or middle, then try to work on that fingers individual speed and accuracy doing various things.

picking each string going up and down 5x, stopping it with that finger (muting, helped with control), doing alternate strings, doing different kinds of attacks (snapping string, downward motions, playing closer to bridge), hitting it in the opposite direction (your nail contacts first, back and forth, etc. Stuff like that really helped me, especially for just a minute working it on one of those things. After you do both fingers seperately do the same, but with both.
I've also found that adding a 3rd finger useful for certain kinds of 3 note things on 1 string, but you could just use 2 alternating.

last thing, you'll find doing these things will help your fingers find just the right way to hit the string economically or something and you'll be efficient.

maybe that will help?

Edit: I forgot to add, it helps if your left hand can keep up with your right hand so you might want to practice lots of hammers and pullies

brentonkim
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Scales.
Metronome.
Subdivide in your head.

Deliriumbassist
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
As has been said before- spider exercises with a metronome, starting slow and building up- however, KEEP GOING BACK TO SLOWER TEMPOS. Practice should be half learning, half maintenence- just because you can play fast doesn't mean you can play slow.

The idea of doing spider exercises is to get both hands working. You can be the fastest fingerpicker in the world, but without the hand-hand co-ordination, it's all for nothing, and vice versa. Adapt spider exercises to include string skipping and finger orders. You're only as fast as your slowest hand, and picking up the speed is with simple hard graft. If you aren't hard on yourself with practice, you're only cheating yourself. None of this "well, I can kinda get it clean and even 8ths at 140 bpm, that'll do..."

No.

If you aren't clean, and you aren't matching the metronome, you haven't done it. Record your practice sessions. Listen back to yourself and be overly critical.

And why only two fingers, out of interest?

Silveroon009
01-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Because I always get stuck when playing with three fingers and it would be like starting to learn bass playing from nothing, I always "trip" when playing with three fingers and I find it much easier to coordinate my fretting hand with my plucking hand when I'm only using two fingers...

TheTortured
01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9CiS6NV2o <--alex webster of cannibal corpse explains his 3 finger walk technique that he uses to play insane speeds.

TeeksBass
01-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Araya first changed to a pick on reign in blood. Or so I was told.
But all previous he used fingers.

Deliriumbassist
01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Araya first changed to a pick on reign in blood. Or so I was told.
But all previous he used fingers.

It was the album after that- South of Heaven.

BladeSlinger
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Because I always get stuck when playing with three fingers and it would be like starting to learn bass playing from nothing, I always "trip" when playing with three fingers and I find it much easier to coordinate my fretting hand with my plucking hand when I'm only using two fingers...
You can use three for gallops or triplets. It's easier to pick up than playing everything with three but it's quite useful.

TheTortured
01-04-2010, 09:23 PM
i only play with 3 when i need to, ie. gallops, straight fast 16th note passages, triplets, bla bla.

m4l666
01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
I use two mostly and have the same problem, but I'm great at galloping and triplets.