Worship leading.

PDA

View Full Version : Worship leading.

Trudogger
01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm afraid of getting chewed out for this, but I guess I'm hoping people will be a little more respectful than in the pit.

Does anybody else on UG besides me do any worship leading? If so, any tips, stories, etc?

I've been leading worship at my youth group for almost two years now, and it's been pretty great. Lots of stress and hard work, but it's helped me a lot.

BlitzkriegAir
01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
whats this have to do with bandleading?

Trudogger
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Worship leader -> You lead. A band. For worship.

Make sense now?

Black Star
01-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Technically, this post isn't about leading a band, but it's still just as relevant as many of these other posts. Of course, you'd know that if you knew what Worship Leading was.

I've never done it myself, since I'm not very religious. However, my uncle is the music director at a local church, and does a lot of worship leading. I don't really have any tips, but I know he has a blast with it.

james4
01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I've done a bit of leading at church.. I'm not the most outgoing person, though, so I'm better suited to lead guitar/backing vocals, or ..to not be the designated leader, really :shrug:

Lt.DanHasLegs
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
guess he was wrong about people being respectful.

Because often times there's a band for worship at churches, and they play songs. Or maybe this guy's just doing solo acoustic stuff, either way, its definitely music relative and certainly wouldn't fit any better anywhere else, and certainly isn't spam. Don't be a dick.

I used to, but then I realized our youth minister was an absolute ass and I haven't been back in a long time. Seemed like there was more mean spirited motives than there should be with a church thing, so I got out. It was absolutely vital to my progress as a musician though.

eaton1012
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Owning the song and having fun.
All about stage presents.

Mekchrious
01-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I've been on several worship teams for like 5 years now and I've lead many, many times. Some great times and some not so great times. From a musical perspective, its taught me how to play without looking at a chord sheet and listening to the music. Its taught me to not be afraid on stage and be comfortable with people. Its taught me improvisation, with solos and changing things up to keep the same songs fresh week after week. I play for our youth group, electric guitar. We have a classic 3 piece plus singer rock band style format.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Owning the song and having fun.
All about stage presents.*presence
http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/gift-wrap-ENTERT1206-de.jpg
?

Black Star
01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
*presence
http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/gift-wrap-ENTERT1206-de.jpg
?

Actually, I think he had the right idea. I think if you had stage presents, you'd become very popular. After all, who doesn't like presents?

Lt.DanHasLegs
01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually, I think he had the right idea. I think if you had stage presents, you'd become very popular. After all, who doesn't like presents?
WE'VE HAD IT WRONG THIS WHOLE TIME!!!

wowsux
01-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Playing in a church is where I got my beginnings. Played trumpet, switched to keyboard, got asked to play bass and now I slap the bass everday baby. I used to lead worship every now and then, it's great, uplifting, but it shows you how strong your faith is. I was just a half christian so I gave it up completley but I am gratefull for what church has done for me, and I love christians, real ones, not fake ones.

I'm not a christian by the way.

Roxor_Mc0wnage
01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I led a worship band for 4 years in high school and 2 worship bands for 4 years in college in addition to the church worship team since I was 12 (24 now).

I have led several rock bands during and since then and I can tell you that the guys I played with in church were the best musicians I have ever met in my life. Literally our bass player was like Marcus Miller, our lead guitarist like Buckethead, our drummer like Carter Beauford and every instrumentalist was a world class singer IMO, and we did 3-4 part moving harmonies all the time. We're not talking Kumbayah here; full on funk-rock to CCM, alt-rock to easy listening.

Many people don't realize how much skill you have to have to know a catalog of over 150 songs and be able to play them at a moments notice in various situations that may or may not be optimal, play tight in time and with feeling, adapting the song to the atmosphere. Playing in a tight worship band is difficult, but very rewarding and enjoyable. It's like improvising for an entire set sometimes. The experience you can get from it too is priceless.

BamaMatt
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I sit in church every Sunday and kinda wonder what it's like playin in the worship band. They are all really talented and the younger worship leader we have is a great singer. The older worship leader is a well known, award winning christian song writer. So i say it kicks ass. A band is a band!

AlanHB
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I am not religious, and therefore have never worship-lead.

However I have played infront of christian audiences with christian musicians and in christian-run talent contests and such. I can say that it is a good place to begin playing live, because the audience will always clap enthusiastically and tell you you did a good job.

However it does not prepare you completely for the pub scene. They will not clap all the time or tell you you did a good job, they will tell you you are crap if you are.

UnluckyChez
01-08-2010, 06:44 AM
I've been leading worship occasionally for the past two years, playing in the band since two years prior, which has been a very rich experience for my musicianship. I think it's important to keep up with the themes of your church, what is being preached the given sunday that you're leading, and having good relations in your band.
You should contact whoever's preaching if you don't know what they're gonna preach. When you have band practice you should have some time for non practice, but rather socialize, plan, and being with the Lord. I think a worship band can't lead people if it has inner difficulties, which will show.

ajricketts
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I play guitar for our youth worship band as well. It has helped me grow as a musician tremendously. It gave me my first real experience playing with other musicians which are talented, and my first experience playing in front of a crowd. I love it and look forward to it every Wednesday.

My only piece of advice: make sure your songs are relevant to the youth. We play some great songs for normal service, but it may not really be what our youth is in to. You have to stay up on what kind of Christian music is out there that the young people are listening. If you can play the music they like, you can keep their attention. You said you've been doing this for two years so I'm sure you know that, but if not, I hope I helped. God bless you in all of your endeavors!

ext1jdh
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I alternate leading with another guy, so every other week I'm leading. It's fun, it feels good. It helps get rid of stage fright and helps with public speaking.