What will auditioning for a band be like?

PDA

View Full Version : What will auditioning for a band be like?

Demonhunter04
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
So, the rhythm guitarist for my church's youth praise band is no longer a part of the band and one of the band members asked me if I wanted to take his position. Of course, I have to audition first. I have been playing for two years. Here's my youtube channel if you want to see how I play:http://www.youtube.com/user/7Hardcore7Christian7

If you have been in a similar position, could you please tell me what I should expect from this audition, what you think may be required of me, and anything else useful. Thanks.

wtflolbbq
01-04-2010, 09:14 PM
dont suck

chickrawker
01-04-2010, 09:14 PM
so seeing as its a church praise band (this is not a diss i play in one as well.. well, kinda forced too ha) itll be easy.. 4 chords, sinmple music, repetative music and lyrics, etc... HA but if they play more like disciple n stuff like that itll be a little different.. this was a pointless post.. mine not yours.. and im rambling so ill shut up

BUT just ask more specifics of them to see what theyll e looking for

supersac
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
what ever you do do not play hell awaits

User_Name336
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
i had to do some church songs in the past on several occasions and it gave me a run for my money. i wasnt given sheet music until 5 minutes before (expected to play 5-6 songs) usually they were really easy except for those one or two songs that are always a part it of where they are fast, upbeat and have complex chords. most of the songs are a joke, but here and there you're stuck playing something that's pretty challenging even for the best of us

Demonhunter04
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
so seeing as its a church praise band (this is not a diss i play in one as well.. well, kinda forced too ha) itll be easy.. 4 chords, sinmple music, repetative music and lyrics, etc... HA but if they play more like disciple n stuff like that itll be a little different.. this was a pointless post.. mine not yours.. and im rambling so ill shut up

BUT just ask more specifics of them to see what theyll e looking for

thanks, I have noticed that I hear a G major chord in just about every song, so maybe you're right. i guess i'm just a little nervous i've never been in a band before.

Demonhunter04
01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
dont suck

thank you! ill keep that in mind! lol :haha:

lespaul1216
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
well, our fine moderator AlanHB has written an article here on UG about auditions.
you should prob read that.

the humanity
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
just relax, be fun, don't try to overplay the songs.

Demonhunter04
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
well, our fine moderator AlanHB has written an article here on UG about auditions.
you should prob read that.

where is that? i cant find it

TasianSensation
01-05-2010, 05:39 AM
thanks, I have noticed that I hear a G major chord in just about every song, so maybe you're right. i guess i'm just a little nervous i've never been in a band before.

Pretty sure you mean a Gsus chord....

Jokes aside, you should ask what you'll be expected to know, and then know it. Be handy with open chords, barre chords, and a bunch of different chord voicings and you should be fine. Mainly the open and barre chords though.

Good luck!

fudger
01-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I've done a favor for a friend and played with a church band a few times and from my experiences most of the music is just 3-4 chord wonders. so just make sure your up to par on you open, barre and maybe a few slash chords and you should be all set. just relax and play. good luck!!