Ready to gig?

PDA

View Full Version : Ready to gig?

Souls United
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
So, we have this little audition thing for one of the biggest gigs in our town all year a.nd they are mainly looking for cover bands. Yes, our music scene here blows.

We're a fairly new band however and have only practiced twice for about 2 hours each practice, the first one without a bass amp or a mic. We only know 4 songs, but we can easily learn more before the show if we make it in.

These videos aren't our best run, we cleaned some stuff up a bit after watching them, but they give you a pretty good idea. Yes, we do have a bassist, hes just off to the side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z61SPPSmsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-fY_YwRfXY

I don't want people to think I'm advertising because I honestly could care less how many views these videos get at the moment. I just want your honest opinion. Thanks.

Kozlic
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Well...the singer's got to grow some more bal*s. Dont take it personally or something...just telling.
He lacks some power. Otherwise is was ok...I could listen. If you said that you improved things...should be fine I guess...

shinhoman
01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
bits and pieces of the clean guitar are out of time, watch out when you slide up to that high chord.

need to sort the wooh's out a bit, sound a bit half arsed.
there is too much distortion on the guitar in the choruses.

the bass is completely inaudible.

good drumming though.

you will be fine gigging as long as nerves don't get to you, might want to sort out your bands levels though.

x

BlitzkriegAir
01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
yeah it sounds enjoyable enough
start gigging

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
your not ready to gig until you have at least 90 minutes of material. you should be fine with the audition though as long as you practice. idk why ur singer is holding a guitar. i dont hear him play at all.

also check the tabs for the beginning of all the small things.

Babbs
go audition.
if you get selected, it means that you are good enough.
if you don't get selected, practice more.

shinhoman
hmm i think your vocalist should forget about playing guitar, concentrate on singing in tune, and turn the bass up to compensate.

x

Souls United
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
your not ready to gig until you have at least 90 minutes of material. you should be fine with the audition though as long as you practice. idk why ur singer is holding a guitar. i dont hear him play at all.

also check the tabs for the beginning of all the small things.

yeah hes playing, but just on choruses where theres 2 guitar parts. yeah i know i messed up the beginning of that. thanks anyways though =P

Black Star
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Rule of thumb: if you have to ask, you're not ready.

SilentHeaven109
01-05-2010, 08:39 PM
your not ready to gig until you have at least 90 minutes of material.

You just made that up. There's no minimum amount of material you need to have, my first gig was only a 15 minute set, it all depends on the circumstances and where you are playing.

On topic, TS, that sounded good for your first few practices, I can't see any major issues, besides your song choices :rolleyes:
Just keep practicing, and go for the audition, what do you have to lose? :)

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
You just made that up. There's no minimum amount of material you need to have, my first gig was only a 15 minute set, it all depends on the circumstances and where you are playing.

On topic, TS, that sounded good for your first few practices, I can't see any major issues, besides your song choices :rolleyes:
Just keep practicing, and go for the audition, what do you have to lose? :)

well i think that we have gig confused. i wouldnt call singing 4 songs in a coffee house a gig.

technically you could call karoke a gig then.

they way i see a "gig" is when you play at a venue and the marque outside has your name on it.

they are auditioning for a gig. . . they could open for another band at their show with 4 songs.

SilentHeaven109
01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
well i think that we have gig confused. i wouldnt call singing 4 songs in a coffee house a gig.

technically you could call karoke a gig then.

they way i see a "gig" is when you play at a venue and the marque outside has your name on it.

they are auditioning for a gig. . . they could open for another band at their show with 4 songs.

In my opinion, playing in front of any crowd who pay money to see you at all is a gig. I'm doubting this is a massive stadium show if they've only just started and have 4 songs, to be honest. TS?

Where did you get 90 minutes from anyway? I've seen plenty of really famous bands, like A7X and Killswitch Engage, who played for less than 90 minutes :confused:

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
In my opinion, playing in front of any crowd who pay money to see you at all is a gig. I'm doubting this is a massive stadium show if they've only just started and have 4 songs, to be honest. TS?

Where did you get 90 minutes from anyway? I've seen plenty of really famous bands, like A7X and Killswitch Engage, who played for less than 90 minutes :confused:

before they are ready to "start gigging" (name) they need at least 90 minutes of material. 10-15 songs. this is for starting out young bands. you cant go gigging with 4 songs

guitarzephyr
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Rule of thumb: if you have to ask, you're not ready.

This

SilentHeaven109
01-05-2010, 09:35 PM
before they are ready to "start gigging" (name) they need at least 90 minutes of material. 10-15 songs. this is for starting out young bands. you cant go gigging with 4 songs

It seems you are mistaking TS's situation for something more serious than it is. Given that they've only had a few practices, and are auditioning for one gig playing a few covers, how do you expect them to have such a huge repetoire? As I've said, I've seen world famous headline bands who don't even play for 90 minutes, you've made that up.

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
It seems you are mistaking TS's situation for something more serious than it is. Given that they've only had a few practices, and are auditioning for one gig playing a few covers, how do you expect them to have such a huge repetoire? As I've said, I've seen world famous headline bands who don't even play for 90 minutes, you've made that up.

Listen to me. If you are a band starting out no one is going to book you at their bar/venue/whatever and pay you to play 4 songs. . . and if they do they wont do it again. . . all im saying is that if you want to play a gig with your definition- people come to see you and you get paid- a local nobody band (me being one myself) is not going to get paid to play 15minutes. they are going to say we will give u 150 if you play 10-2(standard).

if you go to a bar and say u want a gig and u want paid but u only have 4 songs they will laugh in your face.

you need to have AT LEAST 90 minutes of material to be able to "start gigging" or they just wont book you.

SilentHeaven109
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Listen to me. If you are a band starting out no one is going to book you at their bar/venue/whatever and pay you to play 4 songs. . . and if they do they wont do it again. . . all im saying is that if you want to play a gig with your definition- people come to see you and you get paid- a local nobody band (me being one myself) is not going to get paid to play 15minutes. they are going to say we will give u 150 if you play 10-2(standard).

if you go to a bar and say u want a gig and u want paid but u only have 4 songs they will laugh in your face.

you need to have AT LEAST 90 minutes of material to be able to "start gigging" or they just wont book you.

No-ones talking about doing that, though. The guys band has just started. I just don't want you to scare TS here, a band that has just started will NOT be going to pubs and asking for gigs right away, a band that has just started will play a few covers to get tighter, and later on down the line they will try and get paid gigs.

If TS had said, "we've been together for a while and want to get paid gigs," then your advice would be perfectly valid and helpful, but no band that has just started will be anywhere near the standard you are describing.

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
No-ones talking about doing that, though. The guys band has just started. I just don't want you to scare TS here, a band that has just started will NOT be going to pubs and asking for gigs right away, a band that has just started will play a few covers to get tighter, and later on down the line they will try and get paid gigs.

If TS had said, "we've been together for a while and want to get paid gigs," then your advice would be perfectly valid and helpful, but no band that has just started will be anywhere near the standard you are describing.

when they are asking if they are ready to "start to gig" i tell them they need to have 10-15 songs (90 minutes) before they can start to gig. they are not going to play the same 4 songs every gig they have. they will (should) mix it up. if they can get 10-15 songs they can start opening up for bands that play at bars/pubs and get paid to do so.

My advise to them is they need to learn as many songs as they can cause they wont make it if they only play 15 mins worth of songs.

Souls United
01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Lol this got way off topic. We're not going to be playing in pubs anytime soon. This audition is for an hour long set for a 12 hour dance marathon. Its pretty big. Usually about 4 bands play and then the other 8 are just ran by the DJ.

About 1000 people were there last year when I went, so its a big show.

guitarvinnie
01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Lol this got way off topic. We're not going to be playing in pubs anytime soon. This audition is for an hour long set for a 12 hour dance marathon. Its pretty big. Usually about 4 bands play and then the other 8 are just ran by the DJ.

About 1000 people were there last year when I went, so its a big show.

for an hour you would need 8 to 10 songs maybe more depending on the length. if you play alot of punkier stuff like blink and that blur song i would say maybe 14 or more songs for an hour.

AlanHB
01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I think you're ready to gig when you know the songs so well that you don't have to think about them, and are almost bored of them.

kyle62
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Not bad at all compared to most of the dodgy teenage punky bands I've seen, but still a long way before you'll be playing in front of anyone except your friends and family!
Keep at it.