age in a band

PDA

View Full Version : age in a band

SaulnierE
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Hey, I might be auditioning for a band that has a 26 year old and a twenty year old in it.. I'm only 16 myself. Now for a band that intends to write music and play shows, would that age be a problem? We seem perfectly compatible other than that, our favorite bands are the same. And also, whats the rule in america for kids playing in bars? Isn't it something like one parent there, and you're fine? thanks guys :peace:

The Shroom420
01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
You have to be 21. Which is what a lot of shows require. Which might be a problem in them letting you in, since you're limiting their choices

SaulnierE
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM
thats interesting, i think theres something different in ohio then.. my friends that are 18 play bars all the time.

Black Star
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
As far as I know, it's at the venue's discretion. There's bars around here that are 18+, some that have 21+.

Regardless, you're 16. You're going to hold the band back from certain venues for at least two years. Luckily, original bands aren't in high demand at bars, so you might be safe.

its_alive
01-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I always look at the gigs around Chicago on craigslist and the paying ones are usually at bars or clubs of some sort. Most of the ads themselves say that members of the band MUST be over 21. Which is a total pain in the ass for younger bands/band members.

Highwaytohell
01-06-2010, 12:00 AM
younger bands these days really get shafted due to venue owners getting cracked down upon by the cops in more recent times. Van halen used to play bars all the time and eddie was 16-17, no problems. now... it can be much more of a hassle

Black Star
01-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Search for places that serve food. "Bar and Grills". Those places usually don't have an age limit, at least not here.

dlguitarmaster7
01-06-2010, 01:47 AM
younger bands these days really get shafted due to venue owners getting cracked down upon by the cops in more recent times. Van halen used to play bars all the time and eddie was 16-17, no problems. now... it can be much more of a hassle
i hate that too. why cant times be like way back when when no one cared how old you were to go into a bar/club

6stringbassist
01-06-2010, 04:34 AM
I look at it this way, when your 21 they'll be 25 and 31... I generally try to stick to my age group. My guitarist and vocalist are 16 [turning 17 this year] My drummer is 17 [turning 18 in April] I'm 18 [will be 19 on November 6th]. So I try to stick with my age group so we don't hold each other back and that way we all have similar schedules, and maturity levels.

AlanHB
01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
That completely depends on the area and venues you are going to play on. However the comments above are appropriate for the US.

SaulnierE
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it makes sense. Thanks guys.

SeeEmilyPlay
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Getting into clubs to play shows will be an issue- a lot of bands don't want to deal with it.

axemanchris
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
i hate that too. why cant times be like way back when when no one cared how old you were to go into a bar/club

why cant times be like way back when when no one cared whether you wore a seatbelt?

Meh... For better or for worse, we're much less Lassez-faire about safety than we were 'back in the day.' It wasn't *that* long ago that drinking and driving was only somewhat frowned upon and certainly not illegal.

CT

iwannabesedated
01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
The rules change from place to place, state to state, country to country. Usually if you're there before a certain time, you can have a parent and that's okay.

chokmool
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
why cant times be like way back when when no one cared whether you wore a seatbelt?

Meh... For better or for worse, we're much less Lassez-faire about safety than we were 'back in the day.' It wasn't *that* long ago that drinking and driving was only somewhat frowned upon and certainly not illegal.

CT
George Carlin used to say, that not having all of the safety rules we have now, helped "to thin the herd". The drinking age in the US is pretty arbitrary. The current logic is, that it is easier for teens to fake 18, than 21. Funny thing is, teens just get drunk other places, and with less supervision.

To the question, taking a parent or guardian works in most places, but not all. Check your local laws and venues.

The band may last a long time, it may not. If they don't mind, why should you. If they get too old for you, at least you'll have some experience when you quit. If they're good, and you like the music, give it a try.