problem with other guitarist...

PDA

View Full Version : problem with other guitarist...

hitl
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm in a grunge-hard rock band for like a half a year now and were doing fine...Today the other guitar player (a good friend of mine) told me that he dosen't like the music that we play that much..that he and our singer (he sings in a old-school rock band) more into funk and jazz at the moment..and he asked if we would skip to the genre.i said hell no.(i like jazz, blues and funk.but i dont want to play it) and it was a pretty odd convesation.He said that he will still play with us becouse he isn't that good at jazz yat and can't get any people and that it's maybe just a phase and that i should not worry..

:rolleyes: damn any other of you had this kind of problem?

Equivalence
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
well you can hardly blame him for liking other music can you?
other than that you could try to make an odd grunge/funk mix, should be do-able. But again, don't blame him for not liking what you like.

frigginjerk
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
just mix it all in. if you like playing with them, it'll still sound like you guys, just jazzier, or funkier, or what-have-you. it'll give you band it's own flavour. just don't be a dick and draw the line, like "no way! we are NOT playing a jazz progression, not EVER!"

User_Name336
01-06-2010, 05:29 PM
my band mixes everything from jazz to metal to alter rock to classical guitar etc
not every song has a blend of 6 different genres for example, but we all get our share of musical tastes in and we try to find a way to mix things in that normally wouldn't work.

long story short, let them do their thing while you're still doing yours. find a way to make it work and compromise

.starrk
01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Find other band mates. A band can't be successful if you guys aren't even in agreement about what type of music you are playing.

I would say mix it all together, but sometimes that doesn't work.

hitl
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
well you can hardly blame him for liking other music can you?
other than that you could try to make an odd grunge/funk mix, should be do-able. But again, don't blame him for not liking what you like.
sure mate..i said it's okey.we do jam alot in a funky way..

but it was such a strange conversation like your breaking up with somebody :haha: i like the fact he want's to do it but i sounded like he would leave us for teh fisrt chance he gets :mad:

Equivalence
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
sure mate..i said it's okey.we do jam alot in a funky way..

but it was such a strange conversation like your breaking up with somebody :haha: i like the fact he want's to do it but i sounded like he would leave us for teh fisrt chance he gets :mad:
Ah I see...well if he's determined that he doesn't want to play grunge anymore I honestly don't see why he should still be in your band.

If he's staying you could maybe try some songwriting together, it's a lot of fun to work together with someone who is used to a completely different style, really opened up worlds for me.

hitl
01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I will try to make a little project with him so he can see that I support him..

But I just don't want a "Soungarden meets Youngblood Brass Band" sound with the current band.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm in a grunge-hard rock band for like a half a year now and were doing fine...Today the other guitar player (a good friend of mine) told me that he dosen't like the music that we play that much..that he and our singer (he sings in a old-school rock band) more into funk and jazz at the moment..and he asked if we would skip to the genre.i said hell no.(i like jazz, blues and funk.but i dont want to play it) and it was a pretty odd convesation.He said that he will still play with us becouse he isn't that good at jazz yat and can't get any people and that it's maybe just a phase and that i should not worry..

:rolleyes: damn any other of you had this kind of problem?What kind of problem is that? A problem that isn't a problem?
No, I don't have any problems like that.
Then again, I don't try to create problems when none are really there. :shrug:

SilentHeaven109
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
This will only become a problem if you start becoming established as a band. If you become well known as a strong grunge band and then start playing funk, you'll just look stupid.

Most people would probably say "try and mix them" but unless you are really skilled musicians it would most likely sound forced and unnatural.

From my experience, at least, it's probably just a phase, it happens to me several times a day. I'll shuffle my Ipod, get some Within Temptation and think, "Yeah, I wanna start a symphonic metal band." Next song will be Arch Enemy, and I'll want to start a melodic death metal band. He's probably just heard a cool funk song and become infatuated with the genre.

However, if they have genuinely lost interest in the bands style, they will probably just leave anyway and start a funk band, no-one wants to play music that they truly dislike.

lespaul1216
01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
happened with our old drummer and Paramore. however, Paramore is not at all tolerable, so me, the other guitarist, and the bassist quit then and there.

we're dicks like that