We need some serious help!

PDA

View Full Version : We need some serious help!

fenderplayer110
01-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Hi everyone, I'm the bassist/singer for my band The Nibs (http://www.myspace.com/thenibs1 ), and so far we have played two gigs(they weren't technically gigs, but open mic nights). So we have one major problem..and that's meshing! Whenever we practice together with our little practice amps it sounds pretty tight, or at least decently so. However, when we played live in front of people it just goes all to pot..I feel like it's mainly because we can't hear ourselves because we have plugged into the host's PA system. Anyway, if there are any bands that could give us some help or pointers with this we'd gladly accept some! Thank you!!

blue_strat
01-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Don't you have monitors?

Keep things simple. Drums giving a solid beat, drums and bass locked in tight to get a solid groove. Guitar deals with harmony - remember that if the bass is playing the root, the guitar/keyboards don't have to play it too. Not every instrument has to be playing all the time on every beat and off-beat. If you have more than one guitar, or a guitar and keyboard, write parts that complement each other; but keep the pulse of the song going above all.

Move with the music, and watch each other. Know exactly when and what you're playing, and give each other visual cues (eye contact, raised eyebrows etc) when you're changing to a new section, chorus, verse etc. Rehearse until you can play it in your sleep, but stay alert and listen to each other as you play.

xdirgeinfernox
01-07-2010, 03:11 AM
basically get in the groove of giving the crowd a show. they came for a show, not to listen to the music. so, you may think it looks dumb, but go right ahead and ****ing dance if you want to, the crowd will love it

Nirvana_RATM2
01-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Hi everyone, I'm the bassist/singer for my band The Nibs (http://www.myspace.com/thenibs1 ), and so far we have played two gigs(they weren't technically gigs, but open mic nights). So we have one major problem..and that's meshing! Whenever we practice together with our little practice amps it sounds pretty tight, or at least decently so. However, when we played live in front of people it just goes all to pot..I feel like it's mainly because we can't hear ourselves because we have plugged into the host's PA system. Anyway, if there are any bands that could give us some help or pointers with this we'd gladly accept some! Thank you!!

That was a BIG issue when I first started my band about 3-4 years ago we have little marshall MG's that we could barely hear ourselves on. What you want to do is a couple things. Try to makeshift a home recording with on a computer or elsewhere and replay and listen to mistakes. Play the song acoustically and get it down then have the drummer come in and play it electric. The main problem on the live side of things is that 8/10 sound engineers working in small rock clubs SUCK. They have no idea how to properly get the monitors set up to your liking so always make sure to come in and soundcheck.

RNRSoldier
01-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Monitors. Monitors, monitors, monitors. And practice. A shit-ton of practice. That's really all it boils down to, in my opinion. Just because you're well-rehearsed enough to do in your garage doesn't mean you're well-rehearsed enough to play it all on instinct when any amount of real pressure is on. Trust me, this is my first real band and we've had a dozen gigs or so, and it takes infinitely more rehearsal than one would imagine.

dst127
01-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Try and make sure that your instruments do not clash as far as tone goes.

For example, if your bass is filling out the low end, your guitar does not need to have its bass as high as it would if it were by itself.

Good luck fixing your problem.