blues' influence on todays music

PDA

View Full Version : blues' influence on todays music

ishmonkey
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
hi im doing a project about blues influence on todays music. it would be great if people could tell me how it influenced genres like rock, metal, and so on. thhanks to all who help.

gatechballer
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Find modem rock examples of I IV V chord changes. Also the use of blues notes within a minor pentatonic scale.

Jimmy Wade
01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Basically, Led Zeppelin would be the blues to metal jump. The Beatles were a blues/rock and roll to a more modern rock sound I guess.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
you could look at how blues influenced clapton and how he is one of the big names in the rock and pop world. same with people like buddy guy and how he influenced henrdix. how albert king influenced SRV (as well as hendrix) and how SRV influenced john mayer and colin james....and pretty much every blues based guitar player since he died. and as someone said, blues to zeppelin to hard rock and metal. also slash was influenced by the blues. also zakk wylde and malmsteen have blues influence, even if blues players dont like to think about it lol.

honestly, you could go on forever with what and who was influenced by blues music.

carmour
01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
An easy way to link blues and rock is to look at the amount of blues songs rock bands have covered, the amount of rock guitarists who name blues players as there influences, and the fact that they listened to blues growing up. It'd be fairly easy to link to rock, metal would be a spill on effect from rock i guess..

Personally I never really understood calling Led Zeppelin metal. 1/3 of their songs are acoustic folk/country, the other half are blues/blues rock, and the other 1/3 are just hard rock. Never got a metal vibe from them. Now Sabbath, there's a different story, Tony Iommi is clearly blues influenced (sabbath started off as a blues band afaik) and turned out to be one of the very first metal guitarists, coining hundreds of memorable metal riffs

Blind In 1 Ear
01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
An easy way to link blues and rock is to look at the amount of blues songs rock bands have covered, the amount of rock guitarists who name blues players as there influences, and the fact that they listened to blues growing up. It'd be fairly easy to link to rock, metal would be a spill on effect from rock i guess..

Personally I never really understood calling Led Zeppelin metal. 1/3 of their songs are acoustic folk/country, the other half are blues/blues rock, and the other 1/3 are just hard rock. Never got a metal vibe from them. Now Sabbath, there's a different story, Tony Iommi is clearly blues influenced (sabbath started off as a blues band afaik) and turned out to be one of the very first metal guitarists, coining hundreds of memorable metal riffs
i wouldnt call them metal no, but they influenced metal bands for sure. its like saying cream was a jazz rock fusion band. i wouldnt go that far but im sure they must have inuenced fusion players to put jazz and rock together. rock being clapton and jazz being ginger and jack.

carmour
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I never really though jack bruce was very jazzy TBH, sure he had some sophisticated and technically difficult bass lines but it wasn't really rooted in jazz.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I never really though jack bruce was very jazzy TBH, sure he had some sophisticated and technically difficult bass lines but it wasn't really rooted in jazz.
well he did have some jazz experience in his background. id say his approach to improv was a little more jazzy that most bands at the time, same with ginger. again, i wouldnt go as far to say there were a jazz/rock fusion band, but they helped pave the way for those kind of bands. same with zeppelin and metal. wouldnt call them metal but they helped pave the way.

carmour
01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
From my knowledge, Jack Bruce had a classical background, not jazz. It was Ginger Baker who was the one with the jazz background.. he'd performed in many jazz bands before cream AFAIK..

JilaX^
01-09-2010, 02:19 PM
He was certainly rooted in Jazz as a player.
He did Jazz, RnB/Blues, Classical, etc when younger.
He was rather known for his Jazz playing (At times together with Baker), though.

DoomsdayArsenal
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Ya, basically...

Hendrix
Clapton
AC/DC
Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Guns N Roses
Zakk Wylde
John Mayer
Black Keys
Black Crowes
Them Crooked Vultures
Queens of the Stone Age
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Raconteurs
White Stripes
Rage Against the Machine
Audioslave

The list is infinite. Almost every rock band can be said to have been affected by the everlasting genius of the blues. And any rock band that doesn't directly benefit from the stylistic elements or scales of the blues has probably been heavily influenced by one the above bands...

Blind In 1 Ear
01-09-2010, 06:51 PM
From my knowledge, Jack Bruce had a classical background, not jazz. It was Ginger Baker who was the one with the jazz background.. he'd performed in many jazz bands before cream AFAIK..
jack bruce played jazz with ginger before cream. and yes he did have classical training too.

dr_john
01-10-2010, 07:38 AM
you can't do this project without some reference to the rolling stones, they have always been an incredible bridge between blues and rock music.

carmour
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
cream, early fleetwood mac and the bluesbreakers are also pretty important

zachm07
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
how has chuck berry been left out? he took the blues, sped it up (put some of his own stuff in) and made rock n' roll. he's a very important part of modern music.

carmour
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
and Bo Diddley %_%

Libertine..
01-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Put simplest, Blues --> British Invasion --> modern music

ishmonkey
01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
does anybody know any songs that were blues but were covered as rock songs.

strawforest007
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
How long have you got? There's an absolute plethora. Probably the greatest prime example off the top of my head would be 'Black Betty' by Ram Jam - a Ledbelly cover.

Don't forget that a lot of rock (a very very broad genre) has and is not only influenced directly but also indirectly by the blues. Not only that but much rock has other genre influences. It's not as simple or linear as 'this influenced this, then that influenced something new' - the whole world of music has always been a cauldron of so many variables that paths of influence can not always be tracked.

You could commendably dedicate a lifetime to this type of project and I'm guessing you will find many dead-ends and a hugely incomprehendable complex web.

Best of luck with it though!

carmour
01-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Are you serious man? Do some research there's plenty of info on the net...

There are so many songs that were covered/stole/plagiarised

Regibald
01-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Baby Please Don't Go was AC/DC's first single release I think...

Are you serious man? Do some research there's plenty of info on the net...

There are so many songs that were covered/stole/plagiarised

+1

It would be pretty hard to make a list, as the covers are gonna be by a plethora of bands.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
just look into the blues boom in the 60's. bands like the rolling stones, yardbirds, free, cream, hendrix, etc... all played blues songs and made them rock. "crossroads" by cream is a good example as well as "im so glad". hendrix did a rockin version of "killing floor".

Eddy~
01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
White Stripes' really comes off as bluesy to me.
I think Jack White (lead) has even said himself Son House was a great influence to him.
And just go listen to some of the Stripes songs; Ball & Biscuit, Death Letter.