Minimum number of songs our band can get away with for a live set?

PDA

View Full Version : Minimum number of songs our band can get away with for a live set?

drumwolf
01-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I posted a somewhat but not exactly similar thread in "The Pit" before realizing there was this section.

I'm putting together a new band with some friends and we're all pretty inexperienced as far as playing in bands in general. We're trying to put together new songs, and we're debating how many songs we need before we can start to look for live gigs.

A few things about us:
- we're in San Francisco
- we play psych/garage rock and would probably be playing to indie-listening crowds
- our songs are probably about 4-5 minutes long each
- FWIW, we're not doing covers, or maybe one at the very most
- we figure that our very first gig for sure (and probably our next couple of gigs after that) will be an opening slot in some random club/bar with at least three bands on the bill

How many songs would you say we should have finished before we start looking for our first gig? Six? Eight?

scguitarking927
01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
What you need to do is find out how long the set time is from the venue your thinking of playing. Many venues around my area when playing with other bands allow a 30 minute sets for newer bands. And there's generally 5-7 songs that are done by each band, just to give you a rough number.

So you need to find out if the gigs will be a 30 minute, 45 minute, or an hour set, really doubt it would be more than that. Because that really determines how many songs you need to fill the set. And you might not need more than a handful of songs starting out.

irotinmyskin
01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
1... then destroy intruments for about 30 minutes. =)

YourMessiah666
01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
i would honestly play 4 or 5. 6 TOPS.
a great band that i saw live only played four tracks. unsigned (not any more) band out of England. and now they're signed.
anyways, you'd rather have people saying "man they were great! i wish they would have played more!" than people saying "yeah they were pretty good. i think they played a little too long though".

never overstay your welcome at a show lol. good luck

petho
01-09-2010, 05:15 AM
1... then destroy intruments for about 30 minutes. =)

I like that idea..

Gord@k
01-09-2010, 08:41 AM
4-5 for your first 5 gigs. Keep people wanting more.

Phil Starr
01-11-2010, 06:38 AM
You'll find that 5x5 minute songs take you at least 30-35 mins to perform by the time youve set up and allowed for a gap between songs. Keep these breaks short by the way.

Fit in with what the promoter wants.

Theres a local band site in the UK called Lemonrock and lots of bands put up their repertoire. Those that do generally list 30-50 songs so that is what you will build towards over a couple of years.

Have fun

Roxor_Mc0wnage
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Do like the doom-rock band Sleep and play 1 song for an hour and hold each chord in the song for 2 minutes before changing. That'll get the crowd pumped!

Dark_Knight94
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
if you've made alot of songs, maybe...20-30? If not, then 20-30 of them will be covers, and 2 will be your own songs :D

Zycho
01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Whatever gets you to 30 minutes worth of time.

iwannabesedated
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
As a general rule, I think a band shouldn't gig until they have 10 songs they can play, covers or otherwise. That way they aren't pulling out everything they have for just one show, they can figure out what they do well and what they don't.

AlanHB
01-14-2010, 01:44 PM
As a general rule, I think a band shouldn't gig until they have 10 songs they can play, covers or otherwise. That way they aren't pulling out everything they have for just one show, they can figure out what they do well and what they don't.

Iīm on a similar level. For an originals band you should have enough music to first fill up a half hour set (and played as you would play a set at practice), then 45 mins, then an hour, and keep increasing the time amount.

Donīt just guess how long your set will take. Make a set list of your songs, get a stop watch and perform them all as you would at a gig. If you get booked for a 1 hour set and you only have 30 mins of music, bad stuff will happen.