Ever Written A Song..................

PDA

View Full Version : Ever Written A Song..................

Zep_shizzle
01-09-2010, 04:03 AM
and another band has already done a song almost exactly like yours? they just change some parts up. and not on purpose either.

i made a song for a band in the past and a friend showed me a song and i was shocked because i thought he was showing me like a demo that we didnt remember recording lol. and this was a band from brazil almost exactly like the song i made. (its a metal band btw lol)

anybody ever had this happen to them?

MyChemicalTonno
01-09-2010, 04:17 AM
i think it's quite impossible to write something completely different from all the songs ever written... as long as you try, there will always be a song like yours. it happened to me a few times (songs existing were not exactly like mine, but close in some parts) but i still go on writing: i don't care about the others.. if i like a song of mine i just record it and don't worry about a song written by another unknown band..

Henkdemachtige
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
i think it's quite impossible to write something completely different from all the songs ever written... as long as you try, there will always be a song like yours. it happened to me a few times (songs existing were not exactly like mine, but close in some parts) but i still go on writing: i don't care about the others.. if i like a song of mine i just record it and don't worry about a song written by another unknown band..

Unless that other unknown band happens to be U2..

smartalec007
01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I wrote a riff that I thought was really cool, but then I listened to Wasted Years- Iron Maiden(for the first time too) and it had the same exact riff in it(the trem picked, high e string riff). I was pretty sad that day.

slaptasticdave
01-10-2010, 01:55 AM
I wrote "Show Me the Way" by Peter Frampton by mistake :sad:

Sitkemkev
01-10-2010, 03:02 AM
I did something like that, like the first month of really getting into guitar, i tried making up a solo. well, girlfriend gave me a cd, and it had Hero - Skillet. The intro sounded almost exactly like a part in my solo. i was sad... :/

Henkdemachtige
01-10-2010, 06:33 AM
I wrote No it Isnt by mistake :( and i somehow trasnferred the Mercury - RHCP bassline to guitar.

axemanchris
01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
The thing is, the chords and the riffs basically don't matter. What DOES matter, in terms of copyright, is the lyrics and the melody. That's basically it.

This is what prevents, for instance, Van Morrison for suing AC/DC for stealing the Gloria riff to use for Jailbreak.

CT

The4thHorsemen
01-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I accidentally wrote Rock You Like A Hurricane like 3 years ago. I was like "Damnit, I see all these really simple but awesome riffs, I'm gonna write one!" and sat down and worked on one riff for like an hour, experimenting with rhythm and such, and then I finally think I've got it.... wait a minute, that's rock you like a hurricane! it was exactly the same except I played the first E an octave lower.

slaptasticdave
01-10-2010, 12:22 PM
The thing is, the chords and the riffs basically don't matter. What DOES matter, in terms of copyright, is the lyrics and the melody. That's basically it.

This is what prevents, for instance, Van Morrison for suing AC/DC for stealing the Gloria riff to use for Jailbreak.

CT

In terms of copyright yeah, but at the same time if I know I'm stealing a riff or a famous chord progression I'm not going to try and develop it. Sometimes I'll try and write something that accomplishes a similar setlist goal as a song by another artist, but its still a distinct idea.

Not that I'm accusing you of stealing anything Chris, just saying.

MyChemicalTonno
01-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Unless that other unknown band happens to be U2..

course not XD i meant really unknown bands.. (like a minor Italian band for an American guitarist..)

Dark_Knight94
01-11-2010, 09:10 AM
it happened to me once and I got really pissed. Then again, i just changed the key note then it sounded completley different.

Alden Ashford
01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Just the other day, I finished writing a full song (guitar and bass), with potential lyrics. About an hour later, I was listening to The Hound (Of Blood and Rank) by Coheed. I'd heard the song a couple times before, and it must have stuck in my head, because minus the lyrics and solo, it was almost the same song VERBATIM. Same chords, very, very similar licks and riffs, and both the rhythm and melody were virtually the same.

I was oh, so angry, but unfortunately had no one to blame but me and my subconscious.

Cheesepuff
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I once wrote a song. A few days later, 21st Century Breakdown was released.

My song's chorus had the exact same melody and chords as the 21 guns chorus.

So I ripped it to shreds, and wrote a new song on how frustrating that was.

gald
01-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Just the other day, I finished writing a full song (guitar and bass), with potential lyrics. About an hour later, I was listening to The Hound (Of Blood and Rank) by Coheed. I'd heard the song a couple times before, and it must have stuck in my head, because minus the lyrics and solo, it was almost the same song VERBATIM. Same chords, very, very similar licks and riffs, and both the rhythm and melody were virtually the same.

I was oh, so angry, but unfortunately had no one to blame but me and my subconscious.
I have done this a couple times, it sucks.

Mike1109
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Sometimes if we hear a catchy tune, even if we aren't particularly fond of the song, the melody may stay with you even if you never hear the song again. This is what often leads to stolen riffs, because you hear something in your head and you think: wow that sounds great let's figure this out. What you're really doing is figuring out another melody you already heard. Anybody Seen My Baby was given songwriting credits to KD Lang and Ben Mink when Jagger realized he'd heard the chorus before but didn't really recall the song. It turned out his daughter had been playing the "Constant Craving" on her stereo and Jagger had faintly overheard it and the melody stuck in his head enough to use it in a song.

metallicafan616
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomnesia

Eta Vaga
01-13-2010, 02:56 AM
It's a running joke around my house that if I try to write a song, 90% of the time it will come out almost identical to "Rock 'n Roll Train", by AC/DC.

Sadly, it's happened a few times. I'll finish up my riff, sit down to play it, and realize I just went up a step or something. :sad:

User_Name336
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
i tend to write songs that sound identical to either Flyleaf or Killswitch Engage. i never learned a single Flyleaf song and i only just started on Killswitch (although i got bored and decided not to finish learning it). i dont even particularly like Killswitch minus a couple songs.

i find it strange how that works.

geanes
01-18-2010, 03:48 AM
i did that with Of Wolf and Men - Metallica

and dont even get me started on Coldplay those bastards steal everything!

JAHellraiser
01-18-2010, 05:07 AM
well theres only 12 musical notes, so it makes sense how things sounf familiar

Crimson Ghost
01-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Yes, we have a song called "not quite over you". We were playing a gig at a party for a friend's girlfriend. When we finished, she decided to go up and do a song she said she wrote called "not quite over it". It had nearly the exact same vocal melodies and music notes. My drummer said that she had told him she was writing a song "similar" to ours because she liked it. We all got a major kick out of it haha.

our song is at www.myspace.com/heavyasholograms . I'll see if i can find the one she wrote

EvilAngel93
01-23-2010, 12:24 AM
While I was asleep, I came up with the most amazing riff and clean guitar-intro I'd ever written, then woke up and couldn't remember how to play it. Do you know how agonizing that is?!
Oh, and I wrote another riff later on that sounded pretty cool, then the next day I heard "Rape Me" by Nirvana on the radio and found out it was the exact same thing.

lockwolf
01-23-2010, 02:08 AM
It depends on what style of music you play. The basic I-VI-V chord progression has been done out the butthole since the beginning of music. Its possible to come up with something original, but hard.

Also, you ever have those times where you heard like a song but barely remember it then some far off time in the future (like 6 months later) start playing a riff and you're like "Oh, that sounds cool" then while flipping through your iTunes, find that song? I did, I found out it was like apart of a rap beat or something :p

Guitar-est-GOD
01-23-2010, 05:21 PM
The main riff of one of my songs has a strumming pattern rather similar to Wonderland by Oasis. When I listened to them side by side I was like "SHIT", but since its in different keys its not overly similar and so far I haven't heard anyone comment on it so I'm keeping it the way it is XD

scguitarking927
01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I hate when you do that too, mine was when I wrote this riff, then listened to "Children of the Grave" by sabbath for the first time, and the riff I wrote was exactly the same as the main riff from sabbath...I was sad.

Gumle
01-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Man I hate when I do that. For the time being I'm writing a lot of melodic death metal and I was so happy about a verse riff because of it's nice and different sound. But then I found out I had ripped it from Scar Symmetry's Deviate From the Form.

Alex Vik
01-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I wrote an awesome riff. I really loved the sound of it.

Today I found out it was the intro to Sober by Tool. Oh, and I also wrote Serenity by Godsmack before. Both times I was sad.