Most Versatile Amp for $1000 dollars?

PDA

View Full Version : Most Versatile Amp for $1000 dollars?

JAustinMunn
01-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Howdy all...

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for the most versatile amp for $1000 dollars. Metal Rhythm, blues, shredding leads, excellent cleans and the like. I know it's probably more than most amps have to offer all in one, so I plan to get pedals as well. Also, I'd prefer 3 channels, but 2 will do. I was hoping people had suggestions for me! I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not a big fan of the Vypyr series, but I haven't tried the tube version.

JustRooster
01-10-2010, 04:37 AM
See my sig.

saitenslayer
01-10-2010, 04:42 AM
spider valve

futsalman
01-10-2010, 04:48 AM
roland jc-120 if you have some good pedals for metal

guitaruboy
01-10-2010, 04:49 AM
get a used mesa

rlheart
01-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Mesa Roadster most likely.

Wolffgang
01-10-2010, 04:52 AM
I LOVE the JC-120, it's my baby, but I really wouldn't call it all that versatile. I mean if you want the best cleans EVER with the best chorus and the best reverb, it's your amp...

For versatility and price, I'd recommend the Valveking, preferrably the head version; it's got 100 tube watts, you can vary the ohms to pair with any cab, it has a Class A/AB voicing dial, and it takes pedals really well. Plenty of gain for most things, just add an OD if you need a little more. You should be able to get the head and a cab for under $1000.

JAustinMunn
01-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Mesa Roadster most likely.

I was looking at that, but it's around 2 grand.

I love the Roland Chorus... It IS great.

I haven't tried the Valveking. The only place that has it is Guitar Center, and that place is always terrible.

rlheart
01-10-2010, 06:11 AM
I was looking at that, but it's around 2 grand.

my bad, for some reason I completely missed the "$1000" in the title :facepalm:

At that range, maybe a Carvin V3?

Also, it says you have a road king in your sig...

What are you looking for in particular?

You may be better off buying an amp that's good at one particular thing (clean, distortion, etc.) and A/B/Y'ing it.

guitaruboy
01-10-2010, 06:20 AM
you can get alot of amp for a grand. make sure you shop around. valve kings aren't too great, jc's are super heavy btw

Lurcher
01-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Would be worth looking around for a Hiwatt HG50 combo. Cleans are typically Hiwatt but they have a special high gain channel that is supposed to rival the amps that are traditionally metal inclined. As they sell for around Ģ600 ish should be bang on your budget.

scumbagdarrel
01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
digitech gsp1101

ShredMan1224
01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
digitech gsp1101

Isn't that a multi-effects processor? XD

Sampy
01-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Used Line 6 Vetta?

scumbagdarrel
01-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Isn't that a multi-effects processor? XD
yah it is but it has every sound you can imagine, but if you have the money axe-fx is the best you can buy

JAustinMunn
01-11-2010, 01:49 AM
my bad, for some reason I completely missed the "$1000" in the title :facepalm:

At that range, maybe a Carvin V3?

Also, it says you have a road king in your sig...

What are you looking for in particular?

You may be better off buying an amp that's good at one particular thing (clean, distortion, etc.) and A/B/Y'ing it.

Well, it's not for me really, but I will be the one buying it. I can't afford another one either... because I do think that my Road King is probably the most versatile out there.

I will try the V3 though, thank you!

ShredMan1224
01-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Cool, too bad I don't have the money for that digitech.. XD

JAustinMunn
01-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Used Line 6 Vetta?

Those things are too digital. Amazing modeling stuff, but not great. The only decent sound I've heard from one of those things is Michael Romeo (Symphony X).

Even Bigger D
01-11-2010, 01:54 AM
This one's not even hard - a used Mesa Tremoverb head.

Country to metal and everything in between, and it all actually sounds REALLY good.

CustomAxe
01-11-2010, 02:27 AM
See my signature. The Atomic Reactor amp with a pod XT or a vox tonelab is, in my decade of experience buying and selling gear, absolutely the amost versatile combo available. You get 128 different sounds all available at the turn of a SINGLE knob with the pod, and the atomic amp provides an all-tube kick in the nuts.

Yes, a Mesa will sound better for certain things, or a Fender for cleans, or whatever (I've sampled many of those super high end amps that are $2K + as well)...but the Atomic amp gets you 90% of the way there IMO with unmatchable versatility and flexibility assuming you know how to work with a POD or another modeler. Just my 2 abraham lincolns.

And you can get a POD XT with an Atomic amp for well under $1K.

JAustinMunn
01-11-2010, 02:43 AM
See my signature. The Atomic Reactor amp with a pod XT or a vox tonelab is, in my decade of experience buying and selling gear, absolutely the amost versatile combo available. You get 128 different sounds all available at the turn of a SINGLE knob with the pod, and the atomic amp provides an all-tube kick in the nuts.

Yes, a Mesa will sound better for certain things, or a Fender for cleans, or whatever (I've sampled many of those super high end amps that are $2K + as well)...but the Atomic amp gets you 90% of the way there IMO with unmatchable versatility and flexibility assuming you know how to work with a POD or another modeler. Just my 2 abraham lincolns.

And you can get a POD XT with an Atomic amp for well under $1K.

I've heard alot about the POD XT... but how good is it at switching on the fly? Can you hook one of those things up to a Midi footswitch or an FBV?

I was thinking about going the preamp-modeler route as well, but decided not to because I really didn't know what was going on (and the Roctron Prophesy II was too expensive).

And if I were to go with the modeling route, should I not just get a Peavey Vypyr Tube and a Sanpera pedal? (I know I said I didn't care for them, but that was only the solid state one. I haven't had any experience with the tube version).

EDIT: After some research into the Atomic Reactor amp, I think it's a good investment. The only thing I worry about is how it makes distortion sound... Since most tube amps utilize their natural distortion, why is it that a digital distortion through a tube amp would sound any better? Would you equate it to a footpedal?

CustomAxe
01-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Yep, I've got mine hooked up to a FBV shortboard as we speak, just as easy to switch on the fly as a Vetta amp with a floorboard, or any other amp with a footswitch. Idk about equating it to a foot pedal. The way I see it, the Atomic acts as an all tube poweramp and the pod as the preamp. It is specifically designed to integrate with modelers like the POD XT, Vox Tonelab, etc. All i know is mine sounds phenomenal. I dont have any experience with the Sanpera pedal, so I can't help you there.

The other thing that's important to note is that Tom at Atomic Amplifiers is, again in my decade of experience, the finest in customer service. He's the president of the freaking company and he answers every phone call personally. I'm willing to bet that if you try it and don't like it, he'd take it back.

JAustinMunn
01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Yep, I've got mine hooked up to a FBV shortboard as we speak, just as easy to switch on the fly as a Vetta amp with a floorboard, or any other amp with a footswitch. Idk about equating it to a foot pedal. The way I see it, the Atomic acts as an all tube poweramp and the pod as the preamp. It is specifically designed to integrate with modelers like the POD XT, Vox Tonelab, etc. All i know is mine sounds phenomenal. I dont have any experience with the Sanpera pedal, so I can't help you there.

The other thing that's important to note is that Tom at Atomic Amplifiers is, again in my decade of experience, the finest in customer service. He's the president of the freaking company and he answers every phone call personally. I'm willing to bet that if you try it and don't like it, he'd take it back.

That does good. I am very heavily leaning toward that path at the moment. I appreciate the reccomendation. And it's like you said... If I don't like it, I can always return it, right? I know I'll be able to return the POD and the FBV... Thanks very much for the reccomendation!

Dawnwalker
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Those things are too digital. Amazing modeling stuff, but not great. The only decent sound I've heard from one of those things is Michael Romeo (Symphony X).
Donīt yer ever talk about the Vetta like this again.

Used Axe-fx?

FallsDownStairs
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm going to throw this one out there as I haven't mentioned it in a while:

Ceriatone

Nik specializes in Marshall, Dumble, Fender, Vox, Matchless amps. All of them are under $1000 from what I've checked out, and you can either build them, or buy them pre built without tubes, or with tubes, etc.

You can also add mods to the amps. Just email him about what you're looking for, and he'll tell you what amp you should look into, or if he can mod an amp to take the characteristics of what you want.

JAustinMunn
01-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm going to throw this one out there as I haven't mentioned it in a while:

Ceriatone

Nik specializes in Marshall, Dumble, Fender, Vox, Matchless amps. All of them are under $1000 from what I've checked out, and you can either build them, or buy them pre built without tubes, or with tubes, etc.

You can also add mods to the amps. Just email him about what you're looking for, and he'll tell you what amp you should look into, or if he can mod an amp to take the characteristics of what you want.

Is Ceriatone a business or a user here on UG?

And is there really a tour with Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani? That's sweet!

FallsDownStairs
01-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Is Ceriatone a business or a user here on UG?

And is there really a tour with Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani? That's sweet!

Ceriatone is an amp manufacturer. As I said, they focus on copies of famous amps. Trainwreck clones, Dumble, HiWatt, Vox, Marshall, etc. Very affordable, you can build them yourself, or have Nik and people at Ceriatone build them for you.

Yeah, Joe and EJ are touring with the Experience Hendrix tour. I think it's Joe's first time touring with that tour, but EJ was on there last year and I think the year before.

Check EJ's site for the places they'll be performing, or just check experience hendrix's site.

Janicki
01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I've heard alot about the POD XT... but how good is it at switching on the fly? Can you hook one of those things up to a Midi footswitch or an FBV?

I was thinking about going the preamp-modeler route as well, but decided not to because I really didn't know what was going on (and the Roctron Prophesy II was too expensive).

And if I were to go with the modeling route, should I not just get a Peavey Vypyr Tube and a Sanpera pedal? (I know I said I didn't care for them, but that was only the solid state one. I haven't had any experience with the tube version).

EDIT: After some research into the Atomic Reactor amp, I think it's a good investment. The only thing I worry about is how it makes distortion sound... Since most tube amps utilize their natural distortion, why is it that a digital distortion through a tube amp would sound any better? Would you equate it to a footpedal?

I have a Pod X3 Live, which works perfectly for switching on the fly, and to be honest it sounds great when I just use it through the PA straight, but I'm curious about these Atomic Reactors as well and may look into them. Either way, I think that the X3 Live is probably the best of all Modelers out there, and if this Atomic Reactor amp works half as good as he says it does, then the X3 will sound like heaven.