rate my demo

PDA

View Full Version : rate my demo

Glenn Danzig
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I know this really belongs in another forum, but this is the only place on these boards this might be appreciated.

www.suburbanyouth.bandcamp.com

BR0KENHEARTED
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
You SERIOUSLY need to work on lyrics.

BrianApocalypse
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I liked the cover art.

I thought the lyrics were the weakest thing as well.

The songs were FAR too slow, but if that EP is a demo then the tempo can be excused.

But yeah, I quite liked it, so would give it an 8/10.

Glenn Danzig
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey thanks for your input guys. I know the lyrics are cheesy and this is only my second time recording at home, but I'm only just looking for ways to improve.

LicenseToPunk
01-10-2010, 08:47 PM
dude this demo is sick this is one of my new favorite bands my fave is alright lets go lol this is good!!!!

skatinpunk
01-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah i agree with brokenhearted

RockThe40oz
01-11-2010, 12:24 AM
I think the lyrics are on par with Lower Class Brats... or Andrew WK

bobthebum16
01-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I liked it :)

Are these for sale/download somewhere?

axeslash
01-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

RockThe40oz
01-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I think you guys are being a bit harsh. It's a bit generic, but there are a lot worse punk bands out there that people love for some reason. This guy probably eventually make some pretty good music if he writes and records enough.

BrianApocalypse
01-11-2010, 10:12 AM
^ I wasn't being harsh, I was being objective.

If I give something 8/10 and you call it harsh, you don't know the meaning of harsh!

If that was just directed to certain unconstructive posters, then I rescind my complaint. :)

As for it being a second try at recording, the production is very good. How did you do the drums?

Glenn Danzig
01-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Well, as a punk musician, my objective is to have as many people as possible hate my music. Also, there's a link to download the songs for free on that website.

skatinpunk
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
i mean atleast do it with decent lyrics

r-bizzle182
01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, as a punk musician, my objective is to have as many people as possible hate my music. Also, there's a link to download the songs for free on that website.

1) Lower quality of recordings
2) Write even worse lyrics
3) ???
4) Profit!

SKAtastic7770
01-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm impressed with the recordings if they were and in your basement. But yeah overall lame lyrics, good riffs, generic sound. You guys could be really good if you broke the mold more and stopped sounding exactly like the bands you imitate. Songs could be faster but tempo wasn't a huge deal.

axeslash
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, as a punk musician, my objective is to have as many people as possible hate my music. Also, there's a link to download the songs for free on that website.What a shitty cop-out. Kill yourself.

BrianApocalypse
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
1) Lower quality of recordings
2) Write even worse lyrics
3) ???
4) Profit!

Sound Quality =/= Good.

To be REALLY bad, the songs need to be interrupte with children singing about Labour Day at Wall Mart.

(+1 point if you get the reference...)

BR0KENHEARTED
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM

what

r-bizzle182
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Sound Quality =/= Good.

To be REALLY bad, the songs need to be interrupte with children singing about Labour Day at Wall Mart.

(+1 point if you get the reference...)

I'm not going to get the +1 point, but I do think sound quality does help a band a lot with sounding good...
They can play the most amazing stuff in the world, but if the recording is crap quality it's not going to show as well.

nashawa
01-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not going to get the +1 point, but I do think sound quality does help a band a lot with sounding good...
They can play the most amazing stuff in the world, but if the recording is crap quality it's not going to show as well.
Jawbreaker?

BrianApocalypse
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Nope the goodness will shine through. It might not be as clear, but you'll hear it.

Compare that to sublimely produced utter mindless crap (pretty much any youmeatsix wannabe band), and you'll quickly see.

badgerific
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I like the cover art except for the metallica esque name it's pretty pretty badass. I'd have to agree with most people in here in saying that the lyrics are pretty poor, and it is slightly too slow for my liking. The production sounds pretty good, especially for your second try.

DempseyPunk
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I thought it was alright. As everyone said, the lyrics need some work, but practice makes perfect :cheers:

r-bizzle182
01-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Jawbreaker?

To be honest, I'm not really huge into Jawbreaker. Just heard some stuff here and there. So I can't comment fairly.

Nope the goodness will shine through. It might not be as clear, but you'll hear it.

Compare that to sublimely produced utter mindless crap (pretty much any youmeatsix wannabe band), and you'll quickly see.

I agree, but I still am firm in saying that quality helps with how it sounds.
Whatever, doesn't matter haha.

nashawa
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
To be honest, I'm not really huge into Jawbreaker. Just heard some stuff here and there. So I can't comment fairly.
That's fine, my point was they have really great, really memorable songss with terrible production values (in some cases).

I agree, but I still am firm in saying that quality helps with how it sounds.
Whatever, doesn't matter haha.
Most people like to think they can hear a good song through bad quality, but in all honesty, most people can't: they hear a song that's recorded poorly and assume the song sucks. So I agree with you.

BrianApocalypse
01-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Most people like to think they can hear a good song through bad quality, but in all honesty, most people can't: they hear a song that's recorded poorly and assume the song sucks.

Yeah, I'd agree to that. When generations are brought up on overly polished standards, that'll happen.

95% of people use complete sh*t speakers though, so I can't understand why they're so f*cking anal about it all.

SKAtastic7770
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I'd agree to that. When generations are brought up on overly polished standards, that'll happen.

95% of people use complete sh*t speakers, too, so I can't understand why they're so f*cking anal about it all.
I dont like the term overly polished. If a song can sound good, whats the hurt in recording it to sound good. You dont need to have heard much music to notice. So although some bvad recordings are awful, why should there be any shame in proper recordings?

r-bizzle182
01-12-2010, 06:14 PM
That's fine, my point was they have really great, really memorable songss with terrible production values (in some cases).

Oh, alright, gotcha. I know what you mean, I know some bands like that.

BrianApocalypse
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
^ Pretty much any professional record will have been utterly cleaned up to a pristine standard, which is nice on a musical level but isn't very human.

A band nowadays will go into a studio, do a few takes to a click track, and the ProTools operator will drop and drag the best bits together. That's the standard thing to do. It might be acceptable to most people, but to me it's just lazy. Nor is it a good demonstration of talent.

Part of the 'wonderfulness' about 'classic' albums is that they do have mistakes left on. A few years back a load of shitty chart indie bands covered the Sgt Peppers album, using the abbey road equipment of the time, and they couldn't do it, because they'd been spoiled with technology and artifice.

But at the end they said that the recordings came out really well, and had a magic that modern stuff didn't.

So there.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think having a nice sound record is a bad thing, I just don't think that recordings should be made so clean, and overproduced, and overcompressed that the essence of a record (ie, capturing of a performance) is diminished.