Silly Band Questions

PDA

View Full Version : Silly Band Questions

Foxy Roxy
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
So my friends and I just started a band and we had our first practice last night. And by practice I mean, we just ****ed around with our instruments. We know what we want to do, except we don't know how to start. We know we want to have a "smorgasbord" of genres incorporated with one elemental theme of grindcore. It seems like right now, only myself, the drummer, and possibly one of the singers, has had a good amount of musical training in the sense of we know how to play our instruments and we do it well. But we don't exactly match up on the genres we specialize. The drummer plays metalcore, I play thrash, the singer sings show tunes. We're a lively bunch but we don't know what to do in terms of how to get shit started.

I was thinking we could try to get a song we all like, and cover it with our grindcore twist. But I'm still rather confused on how to get stuff played and done. Any tips?

shotdownNflames
01-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I recently joined my first band (at 45 years of age lol). None of us knew much so we just took some simple cover riffs and played them over and over till we started tightening up and getting a feel for playing together. We are getting better fairly fast and this week auditioning a singer. You gotta be willing to crawl before you walk.

Highwaytohell
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
start with covers- thats the best way to get started in a band. Pick a few tunes to get your instrumentation down- than work from there

Foxy Roxy
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Yea the drummer and I just figured out what we was gonna do first...

stickfigurekill
01-10-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm in the same boat you are Roxy. You just have to do as everyone's been saying and pick a few songs to cover and work on those with your band.

eaton1012
01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds like most first practices.

One way is to pick a song to cover and your band will add its own flavor to it and go from there.

Another jam in a key that every one knows.

Just make sure your second practice and the ones to follow have some kind of goal of the practice.

Don't worry about what your style is called just make music. What your style is called is picked by the fans

Zycho
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
It sounds like you're trying to force it. Just go with the flow and see what naturally comes of it instead of forcing yourself into a brick wall.

TrevorJH
01-17-2010, 10:02 PM
You could try some improv. have the bass and rythm guitarist play the 12bar blues. Let the drummer get the beat. then solo.