Time Crunch: Bassist and Studio issues

PDA

View Full Version : Time Crunch: Bassist and Studio issues

Mr.LeadGuitar
01-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Hi! My band has, after months of looking, finally found a new bassist for our band. She's good, has quality equipment, and experience, having been in a band before. Our issue? We have two gigs coming up in the near future: one on january 31st, which is a private function we were asked to play at, and the other at a club/bar on valentines day. We're also recording two days before the private party, which means that she needs to know all of the songs we'd be performing by at least the 28th, since we wouldnt have time to go over them any time closer to the first gig. Any suggestions on how to get her to learn the stuff? We only have crappy recordings of what we did at a few gigs (the 29th will be our first time in an actual studio), and none of us know how our old bassist performed the songs, since half the time he was doing his own thing and never really played the same thing twice. Our new bassist is alot less...experimental with her sound, and, though she's a very technical player, tries hard to make what she does play sound good with the band.

Related but different topic: as i said, we're recording in a few days. We know what songs we're recording, and we know how to play them (except the new bassist, but we're trying to rectify that issue). HOWEVER, none of us have studio experience, and none of us know what we need to do to prepare for this studio time, or what we need to do during it. again, suggestions?

Mekchrious
01-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi! My band has, after months of looking, finally found a new bassist for our band. She's good, has quality equipment, and experience, having been in a band before. Our issue? We have two gigs coming up in the near future: one on january 31st, which is a private function we were asked to play at, and the other at a club/bar on valentines day. We're also recording two days before the private party, which means that she needs to know all of the songs we'd be performing by at least the 28th, since we wouldnt have time to go over them any time closer to the first gig. Any suggestions on how to get her to learn the stuff? We only have crappy recordings of what we did at a few gigs (the 29th will be our first time in an actual studio), and none of us know how our old bassist performed the songs, since half the time he was doing his own thing and never really played the same thing twice. Our new bassist is alot less...experimental with her sound, and, though she's a very technical player, tries hard to make what she does play sound good with the band.

Recording is the thing to focus on. I don't know if your songs are the same for the gig and the recording, but focus on the recording, because that's something you're putting a lot of money into and you want a quality product. Just ask her to practice as much as she can. Sit down with her and ask her what she can learn in the amount of time, and if she can't learn something, simplify the part or something.

Related but different topic: as i said, we're recording in a few days. We know what songs we're recording, and we know how to play them (except the new bassist, but we're trying to rectify that issue). HOWEVER, none of us have studio experience, and none of us know what we need to do to prepare for this studio time, or what we need to do during it. again, suggestions?

Make sure everything is note for note. You don't wanna screw up and have to record again and again and again. For the singer, no dairy products for 3 days before and the day of. No alcohol the night before, and only water or tea for the day of the recording. Timing is crucial in recording, so make sure everyone is nice and tight in that area. Take the day off before the recording day and maybe just practice like 10 min to give yourselves a break.

zhilla
01-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Talk to her - see what she thinks she needs to be able to learn the songs. She might be happy if you give her the recordings you have and the chord progressions, or she might want to spend some time going through the songs with you first. She's the only one who knows how she learns best.

MidEvilDeath
01-14-2010, 12:35 AM
make her practice, if she really wants to be in your band, she should have no problem learning all the songs real quick. as for recording, definitely focus on that, and if she cant learn the bass parts in time to record, do that shit yourself

Uber Man
01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
have one of your band mates record the bass tracks, if they don't know it, make up a new part, if they suck, simplify it.

JAHellraiser
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
if the bassist cant play the songs, or play them well then I'd suggest trying to reschedule using the studio. if you cant reschedule then do what uber man said ^

AlanHB
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Yay. You booked gigs and studio time before the band is ready to do either. Now it's time for you to suck.

Mr.LeadGuitar
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
The stuff was booked before our bassist left. There's nothing we could do about it, and either we do them both, or lose the opportunity to record for 6-7 months at the price offered and lose the opportunity to perform at the venue for a year (according to the rules. cant back out). So the comment is unessessary, unapreciated, and not helpful in the slightest.

To everyone else: If nessessary, we'll probably do what Uber Man said (thanks for that) for the recording studio. But i doubt we'd have to: i had been writing songs on guitar pro for a while, and she just got it for her birthday, so i sent her all the songs i had tabbed out that she had to learn. That's all but 2 of our songs, and we have recordings for those. If she's not able to play them well, we'll just cut them from the setlist. But, since our old bassist never did the same thing twice or actually learned a bassline, i had forgotten that i had actual basslines writen for the songs, so in rediscovering this my and her lives have just gotten ALOT easier, haha :D. And she's a fast learner, and loves the music, so we should be all set for, at the very least, the gigs.

AlanHB
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
The stuff was booked before our bassist left. There's nothing we could do about it, and either we do them both, or lose the opportunity to record for 6-7 months at the price offered and lose the opportunity to perform at the venue for a year (according to the rules. cant back out). So the comment is unessessary, unapreciated, and not helpful in the slightest.

Because you said that you were looking for months, I assumed you had booked the gig and venue sometime while searching. Its an easy error to make considering most bands will be booked 1-2 months before a gig/recording at most.