First real gig, any advice?

PDA

View Full Version : First real gig, any advice?

foo_diddles
01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
My band has been together some months and we finally got our first gig. It's in Baltimore and we have to sell 40 tix to play. Im going up there tomorrow to pick them up and try and sell a few if I get lucky, but we only have a month to get 40 people to see our show 2 hours from our home city in DC. Any advice on how to sell tix when we're completely unknown and have nothing but a myspace to show for ourselves?

Jimmy Wade
01-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Just get friends to come

me_llamo_juan
01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Invite family

ATSbass
01-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Well dude, most new bands have to take it in the butt and sell tickets for a little while, so don't be too bummed about that. As far as actually selling tickets, take advantage of the fact that your band is so new! Get your friends and family to come support you. Even the crappiest band in the world can get their friends to come support them for a time. Eventually you will have to have real fans to come out to shows. Use that myspace! Push the show as hard as you can. And don't overplay your home town, people will get tired of you that way. And of course, play your f**cking ass off!
Good luck!

LordChrix
01-15-2010, 04:10 PM
you are that type of boy that doesnt have friends dont you?? invite them, even more, if they dont go is because they arent real friends

jfreyvogel
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Post an event thing on facebook, myspace, and any other social networking thing you can get. You will probably get a few people like that. Also give like 2 tickets each to a few friends and have them sell the tickets to people they know that you don't.

twiggles
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey! I'm Chris, I'm with the band Random Riot, and we're playing the same show you are! It's a good show to play, and selling tickets really isn't as hard as it seems, believe me, just make sure you ask EVERYONE! But don't ask the same person twice cuz then they get annoyed with you.

RockInPeaceDime
01-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Sell them in Baltimore?

mr gOiD
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Record a few covers/originals and burn it off and throw that in for free with the tix.

amatas83
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
It's your first show so you should be able to hit up the people you know to support you also split up the tix amongst band members to help spread out the duties as well as get different people. blow up the social networks and don't be afraid to hit the streets. maybe even go down around the area of the venue a weekend before or 2 and try and hit random people that way it's likely they check that venue on the reg and would feel better going knowing some of the other acts that night.

Guitar-est-GOD
01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Say you have 4 members. 10 tickets each. Hopefully you can each find 10 friends/family to go. You might have to eat a few tickets and purchase 5-10 yourself unfortunately, but hopefully not :P

foo_diddles
01-15-2010, 05:16 PM
thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get the word out however i can. Guitar-est God you're right 10 apiece wont be too hard. And Chris I didn't see your band on the bill but youll be the first ug-er i meet in real life.

mtshark
01-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Use Facebook to promote too.I dont know about Baltimore, but where I live more people use Facebook.

foo_diddles
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
35 to go! thanks for the advice. An e-cookie to you all. fare thee well sirs :peace:

ext1jdh
01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
give them to people at the checkout counter of your day job when they supersize their fries.

User_Name336
01-17-2010, 01:58 AM
maybe try some sort of online classifieds that are free?
make a youtube page and record yourselves rocking out to a song or two then emphasize that you have a show and need fans. send the link to friends and family and any other contacts you have on your email accounts.

ext1jdh
01-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Stick adverts at eye level at the urinals at school/work/whatever. Also have some custom toilet paper printed up with the details of the show.

You gotta get people when they're paying attention, ya know

Crimson Ghost
01-20-2010, 03:37 AM
2 rules
1) STAY AWAY from pay to play!!!! If you really need to do pay to play, establish some sort of fanbase first. Find some smaller venues to start at or play parties.
2) If you break rule one , at least find a venue within 30 minutes of your location.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I live in Los Angeles where 90% of places are pay to play. I'm sure there are places in Maryland that are closer to you that won't make you sell tickets. Start off small, your gig won't go well if you feel pressured to sell tickets.

pinguinpanic
01-20-2010, 04:14 AM
I'm really getting the idea that the music scene for starting bands absolutely blows in America, what is all this shit about having to sell atleast xxx tickets or having to bring a minimum number in people. I've never even heard about something like this in Europe, here you just play and get paid, regardless of circumstances.
/rant.

Anyway, try all your family and good friends, they'll go for sure if it's your first gig, it shouldn't be that hard for a first gig, but the gigs after that, not all your friends and family are going to come so beware that you don't get a deal like that next time.