Making multiple bands

PDA

View Full Version : Making multiple bands

donender
01-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok, so in the past few weeks i have been thinking about how to make a bit of money, i am a student and have lessons nearly every day of the week, so a week job is out of the question, weekend jobs are hard to come by, so i am not making any money, so i figured the best way would be to try and make a band or two, without spreading myself too thin of course, so after kind of advertising myself, heres what i have come up with:

Band 1-A guy at uni who i haven't spoke in lessons contacted me on facebook, he said hes a drummer, his girlfriend plays bass, and he said what music they play and it turns out our tastes are very similar, so this one looks good, all we need is a vocalist, and if needs be, a second guitarist, he said his girlfriend can sing but she isn't too confident about being lead singer, i really want to get this underway ASAP, and am hoping for this one to be mostly originals or 60/40 originals/covers.

Band 2-Another guy contacted me who i have worked with before, his voice is very powerful but of nasal, but its besides the point, alot of people know him for his singing, and another guitarist who i have also worked with wants to do it too, we also have a bassist who i haven't seen play in about a year, but last time i heard him he wasn't bad, and he has apparently dedicated himself to playing, but now we just need a drummer, we will be doing covers mainly, if it starts to take off we might work on originals.

So my question is, does this sound like a good idea? And would it be acceptable to try and join or make another band as well? Or would that be spreading myself too thin, also, with the first band, should i try and find a dedicated singer, or see how it goes with the bassist singing?

JayLacelle
01-15-2010, 09:39 PM
starting a band is a bad idea for making short-term cash. you'd be lucky if you got any money from them for at least a few months.

SilentHeaven109
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
So you don't even have one band yet, and you're already thinking about having two?

I would suggest just going for one of the bands first, you already said you have lessons every day of the week, I don't know how intensive your course is but forging relationships with two different groups of people you hardly know, becoming tight with all of them and rehearsing, promoting and gigging with both of them while keeping up with uni work will take more effort than most people would put in.

I would say pick the one that seems the most promising and focus on that first.

donender
01-15-2010, 09:47 PM
So you don't even have one band yet, and you're already thinking about having two?

I would suggest just going for one of the bands first, you already said you have lessons every day of the week, I don't know how intensive your course is but forging relationships with two different groups of people you hardly know, becoming tight with all of them and rehearsing, promoting and gigging with both of them while keeping up with uni work will take more effort than most people would put in.

I would say pick the one that seems the most promising and focus on that first.
Well i have known the guys in the other group (cover band outside uni) for the best part of 3 years, and have played in bands with both the guitarist and the vocalist, i get what you mean though, i will probably start off the band at uni first as i am there more and everything, plus that does sound more promising to me as i want to branch out there and i think i will enjoy jamming with these people, we just need someone who can sing and make lyrics.

Just a little fix, i'm not just doing this for money, i have been very bored of not playing in a band for a while, and after the final nail was put in the coffin of my last band that had been on a huge break, i wanted to try and branch out and try and focus most of my attention on trying to get something together with the new people i met at uni, and keep the other band (the one with the guys i already knew) as a covers band.

its_alive
01-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Don't get ahead of yourself here.
Yes, you do have two potential band opportunities, but this doesn't mean start two bands at once. I suggest you focus and getting tight with ONE band before you even think about joining another. Half the threads on this forum are about people stuck in bands with another dumbass. You've gotta make sure you're not the one who's skipping out, or that you're not in a band full of idiots who will do that.
Good luck though.

innertom
01-16-2010, 12:38 AM
start with one and see how you go with that, then think about another band

donender
01-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, i guess streching yourself too thin isn't about how many bands you start up, but how tight you are with one before starting the other, as i said, the uni band seems more promising at the moment as i find bassists and drummers are the hardest to find, seeing as i have started out with that all we need is a singer, and as i am on a music course that shouldn't be too hard to come by, so i just need to take it a little bit seriously with this guy, try and get something solid sorted out soon.

koslack
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
If your goal is to make money, don't play original music. It's that simple. Also, if you don't have time for a real job, you don't have time to make a living playing music. Before you can do a gig, you should have a minimum of 40 songs down. And by down, I mean, you can play them perfectly. That will take you several months of twice weekly practices. As a way of changing a financial situation, this isn't exactly up there with working for Microsoft.