Genre Issues

PDA

View Full Version : Genre Issues

Eta Vaga
01-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Hello-

I'm having an issue with my band. Hoping I can get some sound advice.

We play classic hard rock, influenced mainly by early AC/DC. We have original material, but we do do some covers as well.

We've been playing together on and off for a year or so. Done some recoding. Had a good time. It's all been good.

Recently, we've decided to look into gigging. There are a few venues within our range that we've looked into, and we've been offered a few slots.

However, we've run into a problem. Looking over the different bills, every other band lined up for the shows is a death/black/thrash metal group.

Now, I respect those guys, and I listen to some of it myself, but it's a world apart from our depiction of "Good ol' Rock n' Roll".

Basically, I'm worried that we really won't appeal at all to the fans that show up at the venue for the night's show. I'm not too worried about being boo'd or heckled, but if we're not reaching the audience that would enjoy our material, is there any point to the gig?

TL;DR (lazy)
Worried our classic rock sound won't go over well with the black metal crowd. Any ideas?

rocknroll93
01-16-2010, 06:01 AM
promote the gig to all the people you know. put flyers up. that way its not just black metalheads that show up.

jthm_guitarist
01-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Do it for the onstage experience.

Dark_Knight94
01-16-2010, 06:25 AM
well, mix diffrent styles. duh. don't just go with one style if you like rock, mix as much as possible. But, as for getting worried, that's nervousity. But that'll pass. And hey, if people are booing at you, what the hell, it happens to my band every once in a while too(and thanks heavens we get to play everywhere in china/korea, otherwise we would get lynch mobbed everytime we got on stage!). Just relax and have fun out there, and ignore all the booers. They're probably just doing it so they can feel special.

Eta Vaga
01-16-2010, 06:31 AM
well, mix diffrent styles. duh. don't just go with one style if you like rock, mix as much as possible. But, as for getting worried, that's nervousity. But that'll pass. And hey, if people are booing at you, what the hell, it happens to my band every once in a while too(and thanks heavens we get to play everywhere in china/korea, otherwise we would get lynch mobbed everytime we got on stage!). Just relax and have fun out there, and ignore all the booers. They're probably just doing it so they can feel special.

Well, that's the thing. Our style ranges from blues to rock to hard rock. We don't do metal.

I'm not worried about it really. It's not nervousness.

And I figured they would boo. It's more about the fact that gigging, at least how I see it, is a method of introducing your music to fans who wouldn't normally see it. I'm worried that the crowd attracted to the show won't give two shits about us, therefor negating the purpose of doing the gig.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-16-2010, 07:04 AM
"Hey everybody. We're not metal. That comes later in the show. We're classic rock.
We hope you can enjoy some variety."

Zycho
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
It's hard to find shows where the other bands all fit your style. Just go with it and play the show.

SilentHeaven109
01-16-2010, 07:53 PM
You'd be surprised how many death/black metal fans actually like your style of music, exhibit A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graveyard_Classics_2

I'd say just go and play the gig, you're getting payed for it anyway, and there's a fairly good chance that at least some of the crowd will like you, go for it :D

its_alive
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Do it for the onstage experience.

This.
Also, if you don't think people who will like your music will show up, you've gotta try and make that happen by inviting friends, family, whatever. I'm sure that there are some metalheads out there who will respect your music regardless of genre however.

Guitar-est-GOD
01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Personally I like going to shows with a large variety of music, but thats just me

axemanchris
01-16-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm going to be the person to rain on everyone's parades and advise that, when at all possible, hook yourself up with bands that will have a similar fan base. Throw Celine Dion on with Metallica and you know that *someone* is not going to be appreciated.

Promoters know this, and try to make sure the audience will enjoy the show - or at least be optomistic enough that people will see the band line-up and buy tickets.

Especially when it involves metal heads, as they tend to be the least accepting of other genres that might not be quite so br00talz. I know. I was like that too, and I see these conversations all the time. "Slayer is awesome.... Weezer is for pussies." :rolleyes

Do yourself a favour and get on bills where you'll be well-matched. Otherwise, you're *probably* wasting your time.

CT

SKAtastic7770
01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
My ska band played with a bunch of metal bands and all the metalheads were like "omg Im so excited to hear this ska band". and overall the crowd recepted it fine and seemed happy with the variety.

The Arsis
01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm going to be the person to rain on everyone's parades and advise that, when at all possible, hook yourself up with bands that will have a similar fan base. Throw Celine Dion on with Metallica and you know that *someone* is not going to be appreciated.

Promoters know this, and try to make sure the audience will enjoy the show - or at least be optomistic enough that people will see the band line-up and buy tickets.

Especially when it involves metal heads, as they tend to be the least accepting of other genres that might not be quite so br00talz. I know. I was like that too, and I see these conversations all the time. "Slayer is awesome.... Weezer is for pussies." :rolleyes

Do yourself a favour and get on bills where you'll be well-matched. Otherwise, you're *probably* wasting your time.

CT

This is the first time I will have to disagree with you.

Most of my friends and other people I know are big metalheads that like other stuff. Most of the time when I came across a metalhead they tended to like other artists from Lil' Wayne to Lights. Some even enjoyed their share of Dire Straits and Pink Floyd. If anything, i would say the least accepting audience would be Jazz or Classical audiences which would totally disregard any band with a gain level over 2 or see it as inferior.

koslack
01-17-2010, 12:01 AM
You'd be surprised how many death/black metal fans actually like your style of music, exhibit A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graveyard_Classics_2

I'd say just go and play the gig, you're getting payed for it anyway, and there's a fairly good chance that at least some of the crowd will like you, go for it :D

Funny, I just did an interview with Chris Barnes yesterday for Graveyard Classics 3.

wowsux
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
This is the first time I will have to disagree with you.

Most of my friends and other people I know are big metalheads that like other stuff. Most of the time when I came across a metalhead they tended to like other artists from Lil' Wayne to Lights. Some even enjoyed their share of Dire Straits and Pink Floyd. If anything, i would say the least accepting audience would be Jazz or Classical audiences which would totally disregard any band with a gain level over 2 or see it as inferior.

True that, I hate when my band geek friends are like, "wanna go to a concert" and I'm like, "who" and they go "london Philharmonic"

I say sure to please them, go, grit my teeth and bite the bullet to be nice, but I say "Wanna go see blink" and they go "Bro, when will you start listening to real music? I'm not going to ruin my ears by having this garbage penetrate them" That was a real response once, pissed me off.

Metalheads will be appreciative, especially if they are an older crowd. I find that It's younger people who tend to be negligent of other styles, but, most classical style people never grow up so they are the same way. You'll be fine, nobody ever boos unless you suck. It's not what you play but how you play really.

axemanchris
01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes, it was a sweeping generalization, and I'm positive that there are TONS of exceptions.

And it is a good point that those generalizations tend to be more concentrated among the younger set. As we get older, we tend to open up our minds and tastes quite a bit.

However, I challenge you to take a quick tour through the pit, the metal forum, and some of the comments in some of the metal articles and tell me that the phenomena doesn't exist rather plentifully.

CT

aetherspear
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
well, i think it's pretty ig'nant to think any listeners/players of a genre of are more close-minded than others. Age probably does have more to do with it.

TS, although it's not an ideal situation, it's probably the best scenario you'll get for being out of your element. Better than being booked with a Indie pop band or Jazz Trio. Just play your best, ignore hecklers, and continue getting as many gigs as possible.

isabiggles
01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
promote the gig to all the people you know. put flyers up. that way its not just black metalheads that show up.

:eek:

But seriously, a lot of metalheads are into other genres as well. It might even be refreshing to hear a different kind of band in a set full of extreme metal.

Eta Vaga
01-17-2010, 05:34 PM
All right, thanks for all the advice guys. We'll probably do the show. I mean, it's at the Whisky, so I'm fairly confident that the fans who show up may be accepting of a wider range of music, considering it's history.

Celine Dion .

Ouch

skatinpunk
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
dude, the beastie boys once opened for madonna in the late eighties early nineties......anything can happen

SomeoneYouKnew
01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Celine Dion

Ouchlol. i was having a conversation today about canadian artists in the US market. I love Rush, BNL, classic stuff from Guess Who and BTO, Shania and yes, even Avril. Celine? do not want. Dunno what it is about her that just comes across as so self-absorbed, but it turns me right off.

And it is a good point that those generalizations tend to be more concentrated among the younger set. As we get older, we tend to open up our minds and tastes quite a bit.Yeah, age of the audience is really gonna be a factor. Even if most of the crowd is open-minded and will just enjoy the music until what they really came for is on, a young crowd can easily get out of hand. A few assholes booing can get many of those who wouldn't care, jumping on the band-wagon. Getting paid and getting experience is not really worth it if your experience is unpleasant.

I still think you can pull something like this off if you can work the crowd a little in the beginning. Acknowledge that you aren't what they came to see, but hope they can enjoy something different until later when the headliners are on.

Even mild, polite applause will be a good sign in a situation like this. Be sure to show your appreciation with a cheerful attitude.

CDubDSP
01-18-2010, 02:10 AM
My band plays mainstream hard rock, but a lot of the bills we get booked for are with metal bands as well. Even though we don't exactly mesh well, we definantly stand out. Sometimes it's a good thing. Sometimes it isn't.