Setting up a tour trough Scandinavia.

PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a tour trough Scandinavia.

pinguinpanic
01-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Hello there my fellow UG'ers.

Our band has decided to go on tour in the summer vacation. We will start our tour in the Netherlands (where we live) and from there will travel trough Germany, Denmark, Sweden where we'll take a ferry from Stockholm to Turku in Finland, after some touring in Finland we'll take the ferry back to Sweden, Norway, then to Sweden to Denmark to Germany back home.

(Current plan, will probably get changed a lot):
Baarlo (NL)
Bremen (D)
Hamburg (D)
København (DE)
Helsingborg (ZW)
Kalmar (ZW)
Stockholm (ZW)
Turku (FIN)
Helsinki (FIN)
Tampere (FIN)
Vaasa (FIN)
Umeå (ZW)
Trondheim (NO)
Oslo (NO)
Göteborg (ZW)
Århus (DE)
Baarlo (NL)

Now the problem is, how the heck are we going to get people to see us in a foreign country where we have no fanbase whatsoever and nobody knows us.

For extra information:
We'll have recorded a CD by then,
We'll have t-shirts to sell,
Our band consist of 5 members and we'll be taking along a 6th "Roadie" to drive etc.

Any information about touring in general would be really helpfull.

mishax92
01-17-2010, 06:41 AM
It might help if you provide us with a link to your bands website or myspace, where we can actually hear some of your music and find out more about you :P

WantsLesPaul
01-17-2010, 06:44 AM
You could tell people you play through a Engl Powerball, That might get some attention here in finland.

Alter-Bridge
01-17-2010, 06:50 AM
In my opinion it's a bad idea to go on a tour like this without a fanbase.

koslack
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
The point of a tour like this is to build a fanbase. How do you do that? Well, the easiest way is to tap into other peoples fanbases.
Basically, if you plan this as a headlining tour, you're screwed right off the bat. Nobody knows who you are, and nobody cares, and there is absolutely no reason for them to care. So the answer is, contact bands or venues/promoters in the cities you want to go to. Myspace is dying, but it's still good for finding those contacts. Tell them you're touring and you'd like to open for them, and give them the dates you'd ideally like to be in those cities. You're going to have to do something in return; in the case of other bands, they'll expect you to reciprocate when they tour through your area. For promoters, you're going to have to accept that since nobody is coming to see you, you probably won't get a guarantee on the night, and will have to be satisfied with a small cut of the net take from the door.

kyle62
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
You should be working more like a pub band for this one (and maybe try and blag a few support slots while you're there).

Have at least 2hrs of material with at least 50% covers, then target venues that suit your style of music, one or two in each city. I don't know anything about the cover band scene over on the continent but I imagine you could comfortably pick up €200-€500 a night if you guys are decent, enough to cover petrol and food costs certainly.

What's your van like by the way? Get it converted into a splitter if you can.
Also, a link to your website/myspace/facebook would be useful, the style of music is crucial.

Great english by the way, if you fancy touring the UK at any point I'd be happy to suggest a few venues.

pinguinpanic
01-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all your help,
here is a link to my band's myspace http://www.myspace.com/infelixband but the quality of the demo is really embarassing since I recorded it myself, we're set to record some better demos soon though. It's also a cover so that probably won't get you a lot of info on our own music, but we're kind of like that cover. Heavy metal with a focus on melody, a catchy chorus, clean vocals, sprinkled with some Melodic Deathmetal-flavor to be a bit heavier, and a small hint of progmetal at times to keep all songs interesting and unique. This all delivered with a br00tal drummer.

Our band's site is www.infelix.nl
We're going to be gigging a lot from March untill the summer vacation to make some money to record a CD so that we have something to promote while we're there. And to have some more experience as a band with gigging (The members individually already have gigged)
Our setlist for March (March is where we have our first gig, which we're planning to make like a big event) consists of like 50% covers, so perhaps from then we can plan on taking on some more covers, we do about 1 song every week/ so by then we'll probably have like a 3 hour setlist with a lot of covers and originals to pull from.

My idea is if you're going to do something, do it big. Perhaps it might be a little foolish to start touring just 4 months after our first gig, but the biggest reason for the tour is having fun and nobody will mind if it will cost some money.

pinguinpanic
01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help so far, now I've come to the next problem "a PA" what should we do, only play at places that have a PA, or buy a small PA for the vocals to go over and do the rest "unamplified". If we choose the last option ,my Powerball will be loud enough, our drummer is pretty damn loud, but the other guitarist has like an Marshall MG 50 watts combo, not sure if that thing'll be loud enough/project enough sound. I think I'll try talking him into a Marshall JCM800 since those things aren't that expensive anyway, sound good, and I have a spare cab for him since I see no use for me to go all brutal on the tour and taking my whole fullstack.
tl;dr:
Only play places with an PA, or bring small PA for vocalist.
Is a Marshall MG 50 watts Combo loud enough to play bars

Gakbez
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
When you get as far as DK, i'll be there :D

kyle62
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Is a Marshall MG 50 watts Combo loud enough to play bars
Should be alright, yeah - though you might get a bit ofthe 'ol solid-state fizz if you'r cranking it.
Althought hey sonud like shite, if money's an issue you might as well just buy a dynamic mic rather than a new amp, run it through the Pa and there'll be no worries abotu volume.

If you're doing pubs/clubs, you'll need to make sure your PA's up to scratch. What're you running at the moment?

pinguinpanic
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
We don't really have an PA, the thing I did with gigs with another band is using one of my two cabinets to run the vocals(and keyboard for that band) on one side of the stage through and my guitar to my own cab at the other end of stage. That worked out a lot better then expected.

The gear I currently have, as far as PA concerned:
Fame 600 Watt Poweramp
Phonic Helixboard 16 Channel Mixer
Fame 150W Monitor

So you think that generally speaking the pubs won't have an PA themselves? If I'd get myself like a cheap active PA, with like two speakers on a stick (Or how do you call these things to put them on so they're are higher, kind of like the mic stands), so I'll be able to sent the vocals into the room through the PA, and sending it back aswell through the monitor so that the singer can actually hear himself.

@Gakbez
Do you live in Denmark, and play in a band? Perhaps we could do a show together.

kyle62
01-27-2010, 05:09 AM
The gear I currently have, as far as PA concerned:
Fame 600 Watt Poweramp
Phonic Helixboard 16 Channel Mixer
Fame 150W Monitor

You've got almost everything you need for a PA right there, just get some cheap 12" or 15" passive cabs that can handle, say, 300-400W each and you're done.
Guitar cabinets are absolutely unsuitable, bass cabs will work in a pinch but the the quality isn't great and you'll get feedback at lower levels.

pinguinpanic
01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Okaydokay, thanks a lot Kyle62, I really aprecciate your help since there isn't really anyone else that can help me with this stuff.

I'll update here when something changes, we'll probably be recording two demos of our own songs next week or the week after that. Meanwhile our drummer is gathering a list of pubs and places to play along the route, our bassplayer is checking the prices of everything, planning the exact route and our singer is networking with some Swedish Deathmetal band.