Good clean amp

PDA

View Full Version : Good clean amp

Monkeyboard
01-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I have decided that my next amp will not be a versatile all-round amp. But a more of a focused clean amp. I will then get whatever extra dirt I need from pedals.

Any ideas on a nice Clean/bluesy OD amp for around what you can sell/trade a Marshall TSL602 with Marshall/Celestions for?

Thanks in advance! :)

VishNuRoXoUt
01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
dude. seriously. look into a roland jazz chorus. its such a great clean amp and takes pedals wonderfully. I love mine.

bubb_tubbs
01-17-2010, 02:33 PM
An older Bassman or Traynor YBA-1 would do the trick as well.

Monkeyboard
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
dude. seriously. look into a roland jazz chorus. its such a great clean amp and takes pedals wonderfully. I love mine.

I knew about the JC yeah. I'm just quite put off by the transistor part.

Yngwi3
01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Don't be.
The Roland JC is heralded as one of the greatest clean tones in history.
If you're going 'clean-focused' - you want something which is going to stay clean as you turn it up, not turn into crunch which you get from Valve amps ;)

Monkeyboard
01-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Don't be.
If you're going 'clean-focused' - you want something which is going to stay clean as you turn it up, not turn into crunch which you get from Valve amps ;)

I don't mind a bit of bluesy crunch ;)

But ok I'll keep an eye out for one. Thanks

Any more ideas?

stykerwolf
01-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Don't be.

Solidstate amps crunch...very annoyingly...

I have no idea about the JC overdriving, but i always hear that a Twin Reverb is a very hard to crank amp

Yngwi3
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Solidstate amps crunch...very annoyingly...

I have no idea about the JC overdriving, but i always hear that a Twin Reverb is a very hard to crank amp
Yeah but you need to turn it up really ****ing loud, and idk about you or anyone else but I'd never feel like cranking an 80 watt solidstate amp :haha:

stykerwolf
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah but you need to turn it up really ****ing loud, and idk about you or anyone else but I'd never feel like cranking an 80 watt solidstate amp :haha:

I doubt only a few people (with developed ears) like the sound of arse raped transistors...

GURREN LAGANN
01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
The ZT Club would be nice, or Lunchbox with a cab.

Branado
01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
well the jazz chorus is nice for cleans and does do some alright crunch, theyre voiced steril not in a bad way, the jazz way, i actually just got a gibson Lab Series and i love it, its voiced alot like a jazz chorus, all around great cleans on both, but lack a tad on the overdrive, dynamics tend to not sound as good, i honestly dont know great clean tube amps i rarley use a clean channel on my recto

VishNuRoXoUt
01-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I knew about the JC yeah. I'm just quite put off by the transistor part.

I was never put off by it being a solid state amp. I have the 120 watt head and i plug it into a Marshall 1960 AV in stereo and its NOTHING but headroom. That thing is TOO loud. and sounds good the whole time.

A LabSeries isn't a bad thought. BB King loved them.

Still stand behind a jazz chorus and pedals lol.

Raijouta
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Check out Sunn amps.
Budda Superdrive 18 or 30
Fender Super/Twin/Deluxe Reverb
Fender Silverface Bassman
Victoria amps
Bugera V series
Crate V/Palomino V series
Crate Vintage Club series

You've got a crap load of options.

Monkeyboard
01-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Check out Sunn amps.
Budda Superdrive 18 or 30
Fender Super/Twin/Deluxe Reverb
Fender Silverface Bassman
Victoria amps
Bugera V series
Crate V/Palomino V series
Crate Vintage Club series

You've got a crap load of options.

I'll start checking them out Thanks! :)

GURREN LAGANN
01-17-2010, 08:21 PM
ZT stuff is great for cleans and bluesy crunch

http://www.box.net/shared/vyj6op9jjq

And those are humbuckers too! It won't really break up without a boost with singles.

That's with it's internal 6.5" speaker though. Obviously you'd probably want to use it with a big Cab so it sounds less brittle, or get the little Lunchbox Cab to add a bit more low end.