Worst Luck Ever?

PDA

View Full Version : Worst Luck Ever?

FallenFlame332
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Ok so everytime I try starting up a band, it ends up never working out. Where I live, drummers who play Metal or anything like that are incredibly hard to find. The only guy I know lives about 5 min from me, but he is constantly busy and always says he is unable to play. I try getting together with my friends, but they also always have stuff coming up. I am a lead/rhythm guitarist, I have placed my ads all over craigslist, and I get responses from people who are either 60 miles from me, and ones who are in their 40's. I would like people close to me, and close to my age. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I tried doing a solo project but it always fail because I loose motivation, and want to jam instead of writing/recording. Any help?

bluedude426
01-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Where do you live?

FallenFlame332
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Indianapolis, IN. It's known for it's punk scene, but even trying to pick up a punk drummer to play some thrash is not likely to happen.

bluedude426
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, I live in MI but I'm like the only metal drummer in my area so I get what your saying. Everyone here is into Jazz and shit. :(

2A1124
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Where at in MI?

Black Star
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, I live in MI but I'm like the only metal drummer in my area so I get what your saying. Everyone here is into Jazz and shit. :(

Why not combine influences? Jazz + metal make for an interesting combination.

Also, TS, you say you're wanting to jam. In my opinion, jamming should never be done with people who have the exact same music tastes as yourself. Meet up with any musicians you can that are your age, and just have fun with it.

foo_diddles
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Actually a punk drummer should be fine for thrash. do you have a bassist and singer? these things make drummers appear much like wild pokemon, though it would still be like hunting Entei, it would be easier.

FallenFlame332
01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
thanks for the advice I will do what has been mentioned.

KoenDercksen
01-18-2010, 01:16 PM
* I read the title as Worst Fuck ever, sorry T_T *

But yeah, do what was mentioned.

>_>

<_<

>_<

AlanHB
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
So Indianapolis has no drummers playing what is currently the most popular genre for drums.

Grohlism
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Most Metal is too hard to play (and not my taste in music), never heard of a successful Metal band where I come from ever.

sXe170
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
So Indianapolis has no drummers playing what is currently the most popular genre for drums.

That's correct.

I live in Indy so I know.

Guitar-est-GOD
01-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Indianapolis? Like that bigass city *checks facebook* with ~800,000 people in it doesn't have a drummer you can use? I'm calling bullllshittttttttt. I'm not even a huge metal fan but I can acknowledge that metal drumming is pretty sweet, it shouldn't be THAT hard to get someone just to jam with you. Get active in your local music scene and get to know the bands and such and play with one of their drummers or see if they know anyone looking for a guitarist. My town has like 25,000 people but I still know plenty of people to jam with. Try putting up flyers in local music stores maybe

FallenFlame332
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Indianapolis? Like that bigass city *checks facebook* with ~800,000 people in it doesn't have a drummer you can use? I'm calling bullllshittttttttt. I'm not even a huge metal fan but I can acknowledge that metal drumming is pretty sweet, it shouldn't be THAT hard to get someone just to jam with you. Get active in your local music scene and get to know the bands and such and play with one of their drummers or see if they know anyone looking for a guitarist. My town has like 25,000 people but I still know plenty of people to jam with. Try putting up flyers in local music stores maybe

Dude I've had ads running online for awhile. I put ads in my local music shop about 5 months ago and still nothing. Indianapolis just isn't very metal. Maybe it's just my age, I'm only 18 after all.....

asator
01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Oooooh here it comes :p:

Guitar-est-GOD
01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
O.o thats just weird man. Your luck does suck lol. Talk to local bands and see if they know any people

Souls United
01-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Believe me. Indy has a decent christian metal scene if you'd be willing to do that. You just have to know where to look. And Craigslist is not your choice. I find it better to just befriend people and then if any of those people are looking for a band. try it out.

But. Yeah. I live about 20 min. from Indy and go to lots of screamo/ christian metal shows. Just go to those. Talk to people. You might find someone.

willwelsh816
01-19-2010, 06:33 PM

I wish we can switch places, in my town the double bass pedal is an infection among drummers, and Jazz drummers are considdered to be the best drummers in the world, as they can sound phenominal on small 2-tom sets with two ride cymbals. It's nearly impossible to start up a bluesband or a jazzband in my town here in NJ. I can honestly do without all the metal stuff, which is why I do alot of acoustic blues. I realy wish we could switch. :(

try out a jazz drummer, youll be suprised

scguitarking927
01-19-2010, 06:56 PM
You'll find one eventually, like you said your only 18...I'm 19 and have gone through several bands in the past few years, you really can't expect much out of a band when your still in high school.

But like people said, just start going to shows, and talking to people. Maybe pass out some flyers at the shows, Theres bound to be some drummers that are going to the shows in Indy.

Gurgle!Argh!
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
you aren't looking hard enough.

sorry, but that is what it comes down to. no-one can give you any more advice than to look harder.

EvilAngel93
01-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Most Metal is too hard to play (and not my taste in music), never heard of a successful Metal band where I come from ever.
I second that. I'm in two bands, one plays thrash/metalcore/deathmetal/anything with retarded vocals, and the other, my main one, plays more alt-metal/grunge/alt rock/some heavy metal. The metal band, it's not good at all, even though the lead singer and lead guitarist are blind to that. For that reason, I'm quitting it, I don't feel its the type of band I wanna be in. Fun stuff to play and learn, but on my own ONLY. Plus, fans are harder to come by if all you play is straightforward metal. I'm not saying people should sell out, 'cause I hate that, I'm just stating a common observation.

EvilAngel93
01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
FallenFlame332, my advice is, go out, explore different places. Are you going to college? Colleges are full of people, even tiny community colleges. If you're passionate about being a musician, then look outside your normal city boundaries.
And I've been to Indianapolis twice. Have you tried looking in the high schools around your area, specifically in the drumlines/marching band? The drumline is like your oasis if you need a drummer.

Yes, me, Captain Obvious strikes again.