Celebrated Summer - Husker Du strum pattern

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrated Summer - Husker Du strum pattern

S.A.D
01-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Bit of a lame question i know but i've been fiddling around with this one for ages and whilst i can play and sing it to a dduudu pattern the fact that it won't sink with the original is bugging me so i was wondering if anyone knows the pattern or can suggest a similar one that will fit well in relation to the other instruments.

I_Pwn
01-19-2010, 11:41 PM
It sounds pretty straight forward to me. I think it's just normal eighth stumming, except hes holding the first strum for a quarter note instead of an eigth. So it would be, d dududu.

S.A.D
01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
lol i think u might be right for all the ramones songs i play it never occurred to me that it might be that i'll try it and see if it feels right

S.A.D
01-23-2010, 02:04 AM
nuh feels even worse than before. i've watched it live a hundred times over the past couple of months and the closest iv been able to come up with is dddudu and i can sing along with it to dduudu but neither of those really fit. theres definitely 2 points in the verse where he punches an upstroke once on "air" and again on "flower" and lets it ring for about a quarter of a note but apart from that i cant tell. It doesn't matter if its not the exact same pattern, but wat ive tried so far really doesn't fit in with the bass and drum tracks at all.

S.A.D
01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
i think ive got it! DDDUDU change chords on the last up stroke and punch it for a quarter then DDUDU it sounds a bit convoluted but i'm pretty confident any thoughts?

RockThe40oz
01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
This thread was funnier before I realized that you were using D for down and U for up.

werty22
01-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I didn't bother to listen until just now... I think it's pretty clear that it's D D DUDU| UD DUDU. Or something like that. I might have forgotten how it sounded already.

I've never had any problem figuring out strum patterns. I've never understood why it's an issue for some people.

S.A.D
01-25-2010, 02:19 AM
I didn't bother to listen until just now... I think it's pretty clear that it's D D DUDU| UD DUDU. Or something like that. I might have forgotten how it sounded already.

I've never had any problem figuring out strum patterns. I've never understood why it's an issue for some people.

i dunno this one was a little harder than usual specially with all that fuzz. bob himself stops strumming for a split second instead of missing a down and starting the second bar on a up but same either way.

RockThe40oz
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't tend to have trouble figuring out strum patterns, but I tend to have problems keeping them constant through a song while singing it if it doesn't match the vocal pattern.

werty22
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
i dunno this one was a little harder than usual specially with all that fuzz. bob himself stops strumming for a split second instead of missing a down and starting the second bar on a up but same either way.
Yeah, I couldn't decipher it from the album version, but it wasn't a problem with a live video.

That rhythm isn't at all uncommon though. I don't see what's so confusing about a little bit of syncopation. But maybe it's because I played practically nothing but Green Day when I first started playing. They use rhythms like that all the time.

S.A.D
01-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I couldn't decipher it from the album version, but it wasn't a problem with a live video.

That rhythm isn't at all uncommon though. I don't see what's so confusing about a little bit of syncopation. But maybe it's because I played practically nothing but Green Day when I first started playing. They use rhythms like that all the time.

I dunno in my defense DDDUDU is common enough but the tie across to the UDUDU makes it a little unconventional plus bob himself pauses mid strum and resumes with DDUDU instead. So yeah its a little weird. I've noticed that with greenday too they play pretty similar.