Budget Rock - DIY tips for musical gear and live performances

PDA

View Full Version : Budget Rock - DIY tips for musical gear and live performances

S.A.D
01-19-2010, 02:52 AM
I noticed there was a thread on DIY stuff already, but it seemed to be mostly about painting :) So i thought i'd start one that has more to do with find or making cheap equipment, promoting shows, setting up shows on the cheap and all that sorta more musical related stuff.

So any one got any advice to share?

Kozlic
01-19-2010, 02:56 AM
will follow :)

guitaruboy
01-19-2010, 03:10 AM
learn how your gear works. anything you can fix yourself is money in your pocket

S.A.D
01-19-2010, 03:19 AM
learn how your gear works. anything you can fix yourself is money in your pocket

So true, every guitarist should at least know how to adjust their truss rod.

heres a link to project guitar http://www.projectguitar.com/

it's got heaps of info on everything from building your own guitar to general maintenance and setting up

lavazza
01-19-2010, 05:10 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568309
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62094

try these threads, maybe the are what you were looking for

pitobodies
01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Find other bands in your area, and band together. They don't even have to be all punk bands. For example, hardcore punk and thrash metal can easily go on the same bill. Play shows together, and promote the crap out of eachother. Use the internet, it can be helpful for promotion. Here's a good example:

Check out my slightly proggy, slightly classic metally hardcore punk band: Deranged Youth (www.myspace.com/derangedyouth)

See, the internet can work wonders for promotion. And never be afraid to promote shamelessly. ;)

I_Pwn
01-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Booking shows is all about networking. Just play shows with any band you can, don't even worry about the genre. As for promoting, just flyer everywhere, and maybe look into putting a print ad if you guys have an alternative news paper or something. You might try and see if your local scene has a message board, good way to meet people.

lavazza
01-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Booking shows is all about networking. Just play shows with any band you can, don't even worry about the genre. As for promoting, just flyer everywhere, and maybe look into putting a print ad if you guys have an alternative news paper or something. You might try and see if your local scene has a message board, good way to meet people.

I wouldnīt do that in all cases. If you really donīt have any other gigs. Some people I know set on a show with a locally known Death Metal band, their alternative stuff and an indie band. They wanted us to play to, as we didnīt have the time we said no and adviced another band, they were a blues/rock/pop cover band, but couldnīt play as well. The show ended up being one band cheering for the other and the organisers lost some money. Luckily not too much, because the PA belonged to the Metal band. The shows that have been set up there before, by other people who just included Thrash-/Hardcore and Punk always got at least like 80 or 100 people in.

RockThe40oz
01-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I've found that trying to make a highly diverse show usually works the opposite of how you'd expect. You'd think you'd get in people from all different scenes, but really nobody wants to go to a show and pay $7 to sit through 4 bands they'll dislike to listen to one local band they'll enjoy.

lavazza
01-20-2010, 08:34 AM
though there are genres you can include into lots of concerts, such as Ska, Balkan or World Music

S.A.D
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM
What about PA systems anyone know any cheap ways of getting one?

lavazza
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
musicians flea markets combined with ebay and such things

I think it works to get cheap boxes and mixer and......... and in the end combine it, it worked for friends as far as i know

I_Pwn
01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
I wouldnīt do that in all cases. If you really donīt have any other gigs. Some people I know set on a show with a locally known Death Metal band, their alternative stuff and an indie band. They wanted us to play to, as we didnīt have the time we said no and adviced another band, they were a blues/rock/pop cover band, but couldnīt play as well. The show ended up being one band cheering for the other and the organisers lost some money. Luckily not too much, because the PA belonged to the Metal band. The shows that have been set up there before, by other people who just included Thrash-/Hardcore and Punk always got at least like 80 or 100 people in.

I should have phrased what I said better. You obviously have to use some discretion, but if you're a pop-punk band don't shy away from playing with a ska band or a hardcore band.

BR0KENHEARTED
01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Sell out already.

iwannabesedated
01-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Don't ever pay for your place to sleep.

Rancid Ivy
01-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Sell out already.
:haha:

TN_BOOTBOY
01-22-2010, 08:31 AM
After booking shows for almost 20 years, I've noticed that actual flyers don't work as much as they used to. Handbills that you actually give to someone at a show or whatever work well, but flyers all over town don't seem to work like they used to. And the internet is the fastest way to get to most people. Myspace completely changed the way bands promote and network with each other. A band can accomplish in a few months on Myspace and facebook what used to take a couple years or more in the old days.

TN_BOOTBOY
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
What about PA systems anyone know any cheap ways of getting one?Pawn shops. Musical equipment isn't cheap. Even at a used music store or pawn shops. Its just a fact of life. So you're either gonna have to get lucky and find something cheap on e-bay or Craigslist or just buckle down and buy new. buying cheap isn't always better. sure, you're not out a lot of money, but what do you do when you've got a house show or start a DIY venue and your cheap PA shits the bed? Ifg you do buy used, make sure you buy good used and not just cheap used.