Covers or originals for solo acoustic?

PDA

View Full Version : Covers or originals for solo acoustic?

Mekchrious
01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I've been working on my solo acoustic project for a while now, and I'm about to start contacting coffeehouses and the such around town trying to book a gig. I've done a couple acoustic originals and I've worked on a lot of covers of a wide range, from classic rock Clapton and Bon Jovi, to TV theme songs, to modern pop and acoustic songs. Which would be better to do in this type of setting?

Capt_Clarkson
01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
A mixture,

Play something most people will know to get them interested in you, then play a few of your own songs

charlie__flynn
01-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, play a famous cover and then a few of your own, when people look a bit bored throw in another cover, heartbeats by jose gonzales is a great one for it

Lurcher
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Don't forget to throw in a couple of Iron & Wine songs. Everyone loves them. Mix it all together with your originals and you'll get a residency in no time.

Gerbs
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
heartbeats by jose gonzales

Seconded. I say it a bit (when I actually ever post), but i'm always a fan of a chilled-out Everlong cover.

Black Star
01-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Seconded. I say it a bit (when I actually ever post), but i'm always a fan of a chilled-out Everlong cover.

Everlong is almost always a good idea. It's a song that a lot of people know, yet don't hear enough to be overplayed. It's catchy enough for the majority, but also a very fun piece to play, in my opinion.

Also, with a little tweaking, it can be appropriate almost anywhere.