So the new Alkaline Trio album

PDA

View Full Version : So the new Alkaline Trio album

I_Pwn
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
is pretty awesome, but I'm guessing a lot of you guys won't like it cause it's not too punx.

nashawa
01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Is it out? Is there a leak?

I_Pwn
01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Check yer pms in a couple.

carr4600
01-20-2010, 10:23 PM
PM me D:

nashawa
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Th only song I'd heard previously was the title track, and it was awesome. Rest of the album so far is also as great.

carr4600
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
link pl0x

I_Pwn
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
...Check your pms.

neidnarb11890
01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
This is relevant to my interests...

Greenfinger182
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Please PM me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really hoping they rise back up...Agony and Irony was such an awful album :(

neidnarb11890
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I didn't even buy/download Agony and Irony. I originally intended to, but decided not to even bother.
I'm gonna trust your word on this one, Cakes!

Of course I'm sure Alkaline Trio will probably never be as good as I thought they were when I was in ninth grade, but

EDIT:
Oops, I didn't mean to post that last fragment of a sentence. I started writing it and kinda forgot where I was going with it, but I guess I'm obligated to finish it now.

Of course I'm sure Alkaline Trio will probably never be as good as I thought they were when I was in ninth grade, but I still find them enjoyable from time to time and am interested in hearing the new album.

Greenfinger182
01-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Are you addresing me? And if so, why would you call me cakes? :(

And maybe the Alkaline Trio aren't as "awesome" as I thought they were in high school, but I can still go back and listen to their previous albums with a ton of enjoyment (excluding A&I). They were one of those bands I listened to as I was really "developing" into "who I am", if you know what I mean, so they'll always hold a firm place in my eyes. To me, Agony and Irony was like that one night one of your best friends ditched you early at a party when you were drunk, and you ended up sleeping on someone's lawn. Yeah, you're pissed at that friend, but you remember the good times and realize he can easily make it up to you. And from what I hear of this new album, that's exactly what the Alkaline Trio are fixin' to do.

SuperBlob
01-20-2010, 11:30 PM
:haha

He was talking to I_Pwn, who just happens to be called Cakes

nashawa
01-20-2010, 11:36 PM
:haha

He was talking to I_Pwn, who just happens to be called Cakes
Pwncakes, perhaps?

And WHOA! Synth on a ALK3 album? Is this a new occurrence? I haven't heard the one that came out before this one.

neidnarb11890
01-20-2010, 11:36 PM

And maybe the Alkaline Trio aren't as "awesome" as I thought they were in high school, but I can still go back and listen to their previous albums with a ton of enjoyment (excluding A&I). They were one of those bands I listened to as I was really "developing" into "who I am", if you know what I mean, so they'll always hold a firm place in my eyes. To me, Agony and Irony was like that one night one of your best friends ditched you early at a party when you were drunk, and you ended up sleeping on someone's lawn. Yeah, you're pissed at that friend, but you remember the good times and realize he can easily make it up to you. And from what I hear of this new album, that's exactly what the Alkaline Trio are fixin' to do.
I was talking to I_Pwn. I can address him by his nickname because we're bros.

I'm totally with you on the bolded section, but you lost me after that.

nashawa
01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Actually, on a complete runthrough, most of the album isn't great...

Greenfinger182
01-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Well you know...if anyone in this entire thread who has it feels like shooting me a PM, it would be greatly appreciated...
I'm totally with you on the bolded section, but you lost me after that.
To whittle it down: Agony and Irony was a rough time in an otherwise very good relationship between me and the Alkaline Trio. However, I'm quite willing to forgive and forget.

lolmnt
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
New album is great. Much better than their last two.

lookpizza
01-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I wanna check my PMs. Someone should make it so I have to, for some sort of reason.

charliezard!
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
My opinion of Alkaline Trio is:

Why listen to Alkaline Trio when you can listen to Teenage Bottlerocket?
They sound exactly the same, but they're faster, catchier, and I don't have to be (too) ashamed of listening to them.

Ska Wars
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
They sound exactly the same, [...] and I don't have to be (too) ashamed of listening to them.
wut

Greenfinger182
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Forget about sending me a PM...I went ahead and found it myself :mad:

lolmnt
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Alkaline Trio is much better than Teenage Bottlerocket.

lookpizza
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
My opinion of Alkaline Trio is:

Why listen to Alkaline Trio when you can listen to Teenage Bottlerocket?
They sound exactly the same, but they're faster, catchier, and I don't have to be (too) ashamed of listening to them.

:mad: nuh uh

Ska Wars
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Alkaline Trio is much better than Teenage Bottlerocket.
Erm, nope. That's wrong.

lookpizza
01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Erm, nope. That's wrong.

Teenage Bottlerocket lyrics:
So cool, I'm into killing time with you
So cool, with all the stupid things we do
And I know that you like it too
Baby you're so cool
So please say that you'll stay
Tell me that you'll never go away

Vs.

Alkaline Trio lyrics:
Crack my head open on your kitchen floor
To prove to you that I have brains
Meanwhile tin men are led by little girls
Down golden roads that lead to nowhere
Fine time to fake a seizure
Feel your mouth on mine, you're saving me

lolmnt
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Erm, nope. That's wrong.I'm literally never wrong.

charliezard!
01-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Baby you're so cool

Vs.

Alkaline Trio lyrics:

Ummm...

TB is better than Alkaline Trio, and they sound the same to me.

lookpizza
01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I honestly bet even TB doesn't think they are better than Alkaline Trio.

charliezard!
01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
I honestly bet even TB doesn't think they are better than Alkaline Trio.

I would give you 100 to 1 odds on that right now.
You got a paypal? Because I will ask them.

Also, Alkaline Trio was okay for a while, and then I got bored.

lolmnt
01-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I would give you 100 to 1 odds on that right now.
You got a paypal? Because I will ask them.

Also, Alkaline Trio was okay for a while, and then I got bored.I feel the same way about TB

lookpizza
01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Ask away, but I demand proof.
Also my bank account has been closed due to like thousands of dollars worth of debt.

Funny how you get bored of Alkaline Trio but insist that a band that plays a similar type of music but with less variety is better.

charliezard!
01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Ask away, but I demand proof.
Also my bank account has been closed due to like thousands of dollars worth of debt.

Funny how you get bored of Alkaline Trio but insist that a band that plays a similar type of music but with less variety is better.

No need to be hostile.
And yes, I recognize their lack of variety, and I stand by my statement.

charliezard!
01-22-2010, 12:03 AM
I feel the same way about TB

They're pretty repetitive, and I don't listen to them too often, but they're very enjoyable to me when I want some fast, catchy, simple pop-punk.

lookpizza
01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I wasn't being hostile :)

BK202
01-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Link please.... :D

Adarsh
01-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Teenage Bottlerocket sound nothing like Alkaline Trio. Teenage Bottlerocket are a pretty boring, generic band that I get tired of listening to after 2 songs. Alkaline Trio used to be quite brilliant.

I really should hear the new album.

Ska Wars
01-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Baby you're so cool

Vs.

Alkaline Trio lyrics:
First of all, it's retarded to compare bands on something as subjective as the lyrics to two songs. Especially when Teenage Bottlerocket purposely uses simple lyrics. I think it's obvious Ray and Kody aren't trying to be the next Black Schwarzenbachs. They're just trying write catchy pop punk songs, which they pull off perfectly.

Secondly, Alkaline Trio writes some of the worst, most corniest lyrics I've ever heard. Honestly, I wasn't even sure what side you were on in your post at first, because the lyrics you posted for Alkaline Trio are horrible. "Crack my head open on your kitchen floor/To prove to you that I have brains" That's so dark, man. I think I'll write those lines on my notebook so all the kids at school see how disturbed I am!

nashawa
01-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Secondly, Alkaline Trio writes some of the worst, most corniest lyrics I've ever heard.
As far as I know, that's the point.

neidnarb11890
01-22-2010, 02:14 AM
You could listen to catchy pop punk songs by any pop punk band. All you really need is Singles Going Steady and It's A Girl! The fact that Teenage Bottlerocket don't try to do anything interesting or original is a piss poor reason to claim that they're better than Alkaline Trio. I'm not going to be so ludicrous as to suggest that Alkaline Trio have done anything startlingly original, but at least I find their music interesting. And I'll be the first to admit that they have some corny lyrics, but I also think they have some pretty good ones. Sure, they're not the next Schwarz Blackenbachs, even though they probably wish they were, but even he wrote some lame songs like "Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault" and "My First Time".

And let's get real, guys; pop punk is not the genre to get pretentious over.

nashawa
01-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Sure, they're not the next Schwarz Blackenbachs, even though they probably wish they were
Who doesn't?

And let's get real, guys; pop punk is not the genre to get pretentious over.
This.

neidnarb11890
01-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Who doesn't?
Morrissey

Ska Wars
01-22-2010, 02:46 AM
The fact that Teenage Bottlerocket don't try to do anything interesting or original is a piss poor reason to claim that they're better than Alkaline Trio.
I definitely never said that that was the reason why they're better.

Also, saying that they don't do anything original or interesting is completely stupid. Listen to "Another Way" and then listen to "They Came From The Shadows," and you can see how much they progressed. They're in a certain sub-genre that has a certain sound, and for that sound they bring a lot new to the table. Anyone can just shred on the guitar or add a bunch of bells and whistles to create something "unique," but it takes a lot more talent to take Weasel/Queers style guitar leads and make 'em more interesting without repeating something that's been done in the past.

The style of music Alkaline Trio plays has a lot more leg room for doing different stuff. I feel like I'm using the same arguments that I'd use against some douche bag metalhead for why the Ramones are better than Metallica.

For the record, I like three Alkaline Trio albums (I even like the new one). As I have said, TBR are in a certain sub-genre of pop punk. If you find them "boring" or "unoriginal" then you just don't like that type of music, and an argument isn't going to go anywhere.

neidnarb11890
01-22-2010, 02:53 AM
God damn it, then why the fuck are we even comparing the two bands, because I thought that's what this whole thing was about!! If I knew we were on the same page about that I wouldn't have been such a dick. :mad:

Greenfinger182
01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Well. I really didn't see the horns in this album coming...at all.

lookpizza
01-23-2010, 04:13 AM
First of all, it's retarded to compare bands on something as subjective as the lyrics to two songs.

.. really? Well then what should I compare bands by? Everything that can be said about music is subjective.

If you find them "boring" or "unoriginal" then you just don't like that type of music, and an argument isn't going to go anywhere.

I find them boring and unoriginal and I love pop punk.

Also I love Alkaline Trio's lyrics. I love them for the same reason I think Escape From New York is a great movie.

I_Pwn
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Alkaline Trio are superior to TBR. I mean, TBR are fine and all at what they do, but the Trio have a couple of amazing albums.

werty22
01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
They both suck.

SuperBlob
01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm indifferent to both.

daytripper75
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I've heard one song from it. Probably whatever the single is. It was ok. Not sure if I want to check out the rest of the album or not.

askingforit176
01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Much better than half of crimson and agony and irony. Still doesn't hold a torch to from here to infirmary or good mourning