Upcoming Gig Confusion

PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Gig Confusion

ceske
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm in an acoustic duo, and we're scheduled to play at a local coffee house this friday. The thing is, since the place usually schedules bands with 2 hours of material and we only have about an hour, the manager booked us with another band that was contacting her for booking. So, it's two bands filling 2-3 hours. However, the manager left it up to us to work out the details of who goes on when and how much time we get (My group is opening for the other). We've emailed the other band about this, but they haven't replied, yet. BUT we've also emailed the venue's manager to confirm that we are playing, and she says that we are scheduled to play.

So, I assume that since the venue says we're playing, we are. But we don't know how much time we are getting. Would you recommend rehearsing all of our songs and writing the setlist when we find out how much time we have (which may be when we show up at the venue)? The other member of the duo thinks that we shouldn't go, but I don't agree. Whether we actually play or not, showing up is the professional thing to do.

I know this is a mess entire story and the questions are a mess, but does anyone have advice? What do we do?

King Turi
01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
If the venue says you're playing, you're playing.

Find out how long your set list will last you, so you know how long you can play for, and if possible, maybe you can look up some 4 chord songs you might know just to fill in some time in case the other band doesn't show up.

Rock up as if you are playing first - if the other guys ain't there, then you guys are up first, if the other guys ARE there, talk to them and see if they wanna go up first or after you guys.

It's that simple. ;)

-tempest-
01-20-2010, 10:38 PM
uhhhh

practice you whole set list then go with the flow i guess

wicket_nirvana
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
when u signed up for that gig u took a resposibility to try ur best to entertain the customers at that coffee shop, so if the other band hasnt replied just write out ur setlist and practice as if u had all the time in the world. then maybe give each song in the set a number for how important it is. the lower numbers should be lopped off first if u find out u have less time available than originally thought. definately show up

User_Name336
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
if they say you're playing, then you're playing. you should write up a set list. if its only two bands with up to 3 hours, i'd say just write up your full set list. the other band should be happy with the huge amount of time you're giving them.

show up to the gig, with set list and instruments in hand (show up early) and see whats going on. if you got bumped thank them for their time and then decide if you stay or not. but chances are the venue will contact you if thats the case. i dont see why you wouldn't be playing if the other band isn't contacting you. maybe you got the email address wrong?

ceske
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I know this was a pretty easy question to ask, and I didn't need to ask it. I suppose that, because it's so close and I'm so inexperienced, it's a bit overwhelming. We're going to practice and show up. I was just confused and wanted some more experienced input to help me relax.

User_Name336
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
trust me man, i know exactly how you feel. my band just switched from electric hard rock/metal to acoustic and now we're pretty well starting over. we gotta rebuild a whole new fan base and re establish ourselves once again. starting off is hard, especially when you dont get straight answers from people. just remember, be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

King Turi
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Acoustic stuff goes down better at some places than hard rock/metal.