gig deal?

PDA

View Full Version : gig deal?

speedy1330
01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
ok so my band has a gig and we know the people who own the venue were going to be playing at. they want to sit down and negoate a deal about the details, this is my first gig and were a teen band, im the oldest and im 15.

what kind of things should we negoate for? like how much my band will make etc etc stuff of that sorta.

please and thank you!

Babbs
01-20-2010, 11:57 PM
how much money you get, how much time you play, who supplies things like mics and the pa system. if the venue has a sound guy or if you need your own, lighting, stuff like that.

obviously, it depends on the venue. if it's a bar or club, they probably have their own pa.

pwrmax
01-20-2010, 11:57 PM
As teenagers, it will have to be an all ages show ... so there goes th sale of alcohol which is 90% of the bar's profit. Your only hope for making money is usually to sell tickets.

User_Name336
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
well... a lot of the time you dont actually make much money (if any).
are they doing this as a favour to you because you're unknown and need a place to play (dont ask for money if this is the case. just think them for letting you) or are they doing it because you're going to be entertaining people for a relatively long enough period of time/are skilled enough to deserve a pay cheque at the end of the night...

its_alive
01-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Find out what equipment you'll need to have yourself/what equipment the venue is willing to supply. It is your first gig, so if you are going to get paid, there's not really much to negotiate. They would be going out on a limb by paying you even though you didn't have any past gigging experience.
Other than that though, just get the basics. Set length is important. You might want to also give them the information about YOUR equipment so that if necessary they can accommodate or whatever.
Good luck.

speedy1330
01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
well... a lot of the time you dont actually make much money (if any).
are they doing this as a favour to you because you're unknown and need a place to play (dont ask for money if this is the case. just think them for letting you) or are they doing it because you're going to be entertaining people for a relatively long enough period of time/are skilled enough to deserve a pay cheque at the end of the night...

to answer your question, its pretty much both, but we are getting paid, i dont know how much though, the tickets arent gonna be all that expensive.

thanks for the advice everyone

dlguitarmaster7
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
to answer your question, its pretty much both, but we are getting paid, i dont know how much though, the tickets arent gonna be all that expensive.

thanks for the advice everyone
im pretty sure you make $1 a person at your age venues. usually certain venues have different policies (i.e. after 50 people, its $2 a person)

gald
01-22-2010, 12:46 AM
im pretty sure you make $1 a person at your age venues. usually certain venues have different policies (i.e. after 50 people, its $2 a person)
"Pretty Sure" by what metric?

I've never heard of any hard and fast rules like that.

And 50 people? Even here in Boston for semi-established bands 50 people is a KILLER turn-out.

To be helpful, the last show we played was $3 a head as long as we brought at least 10 people.

kyle62
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
No offence, but at your age there's no way you guys are going to be nowhere near good enough to actually pull in a crowd, just yet. Nothing personal, but I've never seen a band under the age of 16/17 who're that level - it just takes a while to really get good.

My guess is the venue owners are giving you a slot in the knowledge that your friends and family will pay to see you. In exchange, you guys get the chance to play a decent venue, have a laugh, and possibly get a little pay. I'd relax a bit and see what the owners want to offer you.

What kind of venue is it and when are you expecting to play?